1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DrapeauNoir

DrapeauNoir Well-Known Member

These are stupidly cool.

2. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

That's good to know. I know you already have a kangaroo boot from RM Williams, but I was also thinking a zip boot in beige kangaroo would be pretty sick with a leather sole. Has anyone seen this beige pair for sale on ebay? I'm pretty sure these are beige kangaroo and have been sitting in a display window. It looks so good once they start to darken.

[​IMG]

Why are you thinking horsehide roughout over Steade Janus Butt? I'm generally curious because I'm not sure if I've heard of horsehide being used that way other than for reverse shell, which is a bit different.

3. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Im a big fan of Kangaroo, ever since I had a Nokona glove in high school and I used it into college, still have it. I was just going off the leathers offered for this round, didnt want to give @LA Guy any more headaches but if black Kangaroo was on the table Id be into it although I quite like the texture of the camelhide if given the choice. I really cant see much need for myself in a light colored side zip, to me I was hoping for a city boot that screams something dark and refined like black although I did like that Burgundy. And Im thinking grain side all the way NO suede or roughout, I am not that guy, I see its appeal but I much prefer grain side. There seems to be some rumblings for suede and RO but that is not the way I envision this type of boot.

RE: the eBay boots, I am pretty sure those are from the sample sale rather than a display window.

I had these Kangaroo boots made up by Vass - The guy who sourced the leather @arahat did an impeccable job, really good stuff, above and beyond the RM Williams stuff. Im sure at some point Ill figure some additional uses for this leather. Incidentally the roughout side is nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

Ok. Now it makes sense because I misunderstood. Yes. I definitely agree grain side would look best for a black side zip. You are right in the sense a black zip boot would be a lot more versatile. I would be on board for a black side zip in horsehide, camel, or kangaroo. Medium brown edges? I know this is a Viberg thread but from your Vass pics I'm wondering what your opinion is on handwelted boots? Some of the makeups from Zonkey Boot look really nice.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

There are a lot of cool leathers, but I'm going to ask you guys to stick with what we've offered so far, to keep this from spinning out of control so that we never get an order in.

I will start a GMTO thread over the weekend, and copy over what I see as the makeups being discussed right now, which are
    1)The Milwright (I have not asked about the lowered heel. So that will not be in the proposed specs. If it can be done, fine. If now, I am am not going to get anyone's hopes up.)
    2) All black zip boot in grain side horse
    3) Milkshade suede chelsea
    4) Black chelsea
    5) Blacked out streetboot on eithe ra gloxi sole or full ripplel, with stacked lather midsole.
    6) Some sort of tough boot that looks like a trench boot.

Does that sound about right, or have I missed or mis-remembered something?

Cheers,

Fok.

6. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Cool, good to have you onboard. Not sure on the edges, my last proposal was going that way but Ill go whatever direction people want to get it off the ground.

Handwelted is great, for the price Vass cant be beat. I have never seen a Zonkey boot in person but I have a St. Crispin(which there is some connection) Chelsea boot on the Sailor Last(I think its the same) and they are very well made. I appreciate the amount of work and skill that goes into that process and my sense is that they have a better "feel" to them when you are wearing them.

7. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

#3 if its side elastic is on Viberg's website - I think @rydenfan was organizing some sort of light brown RO side zip

8. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

I said this elsewhere, but with its blue collar, retro-working class aesthetics, I think we should rename the Milwright boot, the "Make Canada Great Again Boot."

Seriously, though, a black horse zip sounds great to me...with my perverse logic, I could justify needing that to fill a gap in my rotation.

1 person likes this.
  9. nemononame

nemononame Well-Known Member

All this new GMTO chatter got me to looking again at Vibergs, and I notice that the 2030 lasted shoes on the current website look different than I recall -- more rounded or something. Was the 2030 last modified recently? Looks more like a 1035 now, which I prefer for aesthetics and fit.

10. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Fok, would it be possible to ask the question about #1 prior to voting. For me I don't believe it's make or break but for some maybe it is? Just trying to reduce any variability before we vote.

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Is it the first time you are seeing them as Good Year Welted? That might be the difference.

12. LA Guy

Unfortunately, Drew is out all of next week, which makes that logistically impossible. I am going to put up the voting (and remember, it's the pay for vote system, so that there is accountability) before I go to NYC for the trunk show prep (The trunk show is on Saturday, I leave Wednesday morning). and I will leave it up for a week.

@linafelt has already indicated that it's not a make-or-break thing for him, and we have all the other pieces in place. Remember, if I don't get 6 commitment votes for the Millwright, it will be the last time I entertain the idea of a 310 boot, so this is your chance, guys, to show that it is a feasible thing.

All makeups have the potential to have some adjustments during production, and in all the descriptions, we put in that "some minor adjustments may be needed at the factory", and that those who have preordered will accept this as part of the process.

If it's something big, like a change in the leather or the construction method or even the number of eyelets, then I would go back and ask the buyers (I had to do this last round of Hoppers), but not it's something like 1/8th of an inch in the heel height. Going back to the buyers at every little change would make these GMTOs logistically impossible.

I hope that you guys can understand the limits to what we can and cannot control.

Cheers,

Fok.

13. LA Guy

It is perverse logic, but whatever gets you around to it, works for me. I know, I have over 60 belts and counting. There is no non-perverse way of explaining why I want so many of the things.

1 person likes this.
  14. LA Guy

Yeah, that's right. I stand corrected. Sorry, it's been a long week and a long thread!

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

[​IMG]
    This in Tan horside would be great!
    [​IMG]

16. pema

pema Well-Known Member

I am on board for the #5, if it makes it on the 110. I just saw some pictures of black leather on black gloxi. It looks awesome, and bison would be incredible.

http://www.doubleselect.com/2014/08/06/viberg-rough-out-derby/

Looking forward to seeing how voting shakes out. I hope we can make this happen, with the Milwright seeming to be the tough boot and some Chelsea or zip taking the dressier slot. Thanks to everyone for all your contributions.

17. stickydonk

stickydonk Senior member

I know it's been mentioned, but I'll throw this in

2045 service boot unstructured toe box
    black oil tan roughout
    completely murdered out (eyelets, laces, midsole, etc)
    full ripple sole
    stichdown (white thread)
    red thread for stitching the uppers (can be black too, not gonna be picky)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

BlackStallion: 6" SCOUT in Black HorseHide X Reversed [RO] heel counter & backstay & eyeletstay[???]

• 1035 last
    • Flat GYW
    • 6" shaft :: NO pull loops [plain/flat backstay]
    • 8 Gunmetal eyelets
    • Partially structured toe
    Black Stitch all around, including on welt
    • *IndigoDip-dyed [stacked] midsole X **DrSole Strider... or black Gloxisole

* midsoles dip-dyed in INDIGO before sewn to the uppers
    ** I've seen & held the full ripples currently being used by Viberg, IRL & I personally find the ridges too severe__ DrSole Striders are much rockable, IMO.

FrankenChopped: don't have PS on hand... but u get the idea ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  19. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

LA Guy, were you able to get any insight into the differences between Crust CXL and Natural CXL? I have read the description of Crust CXL on the Viberg website, but it does not sound say how it is different if it is. Is the color between the two very similar? Maybe Viberg can provide a comparison photo? Thanks.

20. dekalog

dekalog Senior member

@LA Guy

Hi Guy,

Just received today the New Hopper Boot Viberg for Styleforum aged bark.

But the boot has manufacturer's defect. There is a sharp nail pop through the footbed in the toe area of the right boot which almost hurt my foot.

Since the defect was found in the toe box area it is difficult to shot a pic of it. I put my hand over the toe area and find a sharp object pop up there.

Since it is manufacturing defect, please send me a DHL or UPS preprinted label to return the boot to you for exchange or refund.