1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

This is a pretty cool idea. It would be very interesting to see all the boots develop over the next couple of years.

2. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Alas. But I'll still be your friend...

1 person likes this.
  3. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Im not opposed to that or gunmetal. Im somewhat zipper agnostic.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

I wish I could get onboard the side zips because I really like Chelseas and side zips, but I feel like you have to be very skinny to pull them off, which I'm not at 6'1 195.

5. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I think you should feel comfortable getting onboard. There is no skinny requirement whatsover, I see all different types of people wearing these styles and specific model/design aside they can look good on everyone. I'll add that the Viberg model is not going to be nearly as sleek as something coming from St. Crispin, Lobb, Edward Green, etc. These have much more of a rugged vibe to them. If you like them, you definitely should not rule it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. ehult

ehult Senior member

Ok I've spent most of my life avoiding black shoes. I've got the Hoppers Boondockers Grey Service Boot Tan Derbies and Aged Bark Chukkas so I think chromexcel is too much tan and I need to jump on board with black but I still can't figure out what you would generally wear this with. Can you wear black Chelsea boots with denim and a flannel or denim and a sweater?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I wear my black horse hide derbies(on the 1035) with my APC washed indigo's often, if that helps. I like the look.

2 people like this.
  8. Rogerdoger

Rogerdoger Active Member

Yep the Chelsea last 2050 was built for this boot, you can't last this upper on a 1035, 2040,2045 , with out it looking very odd and not hold its shape.

9. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

You can Google Chelsea fits and find lots and lots of examples of black Chelseas being worn with jeans. They're worn with skinny/slim jeans, though, which is why I said before that they're more geared for skinny guys. Kanye is the heaviest guy I've seen pull off Chelseas, and he has skinny legs, which is why he gets away with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. billymax

billymax Senior member

The black on black vibram makes me weep. Come on fellas, lets go.

11. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

This has so much more to do with the skinny jean phenomenon and the concurrent rise of the internet, IG in the past decade. If you were to look at magazines "internet on wood" from a previous time you would see lots of non skinny people with non skinny jeans wearing boots like this, which is why Im telling you if you like the style you shouldnt be put off by this skinny notion. These styles whether is side zip or elastic have been around a very long time through many jean leg trends. The popularity of chelsea boots ebbs and flows of course but they are mainstays in alot of peoples closets. I would chalk the skinny jean pics that are rampant in a google search to those having been absurdly popular for the past 7 or 8 years and a trend that doesnt seem to want to die rather than it being a necessity or even correlated to the boots. I would say most of these pics that come up, the people and their boots would benefit from wider leg jeans like a regular cut so they can at least get them over the top of the boot opening.

2 people like this.
  12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

denim, and a sweater, or fitted black denim, and a sweater. I think that a blacked out sidezip would be a very versatile boot, especially in either that black horsehide, which gives it some texture. I could see that, with pretty much ANY zipper, working with a very "smart casual" look (so, essentially what you guys are calling "dressy", a gothy ninja look. or a hybrid.

2 people like this.
  13. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

[​IMG]

Just to add a real life pic from a non-heroine chic skinny guy. These are RM Williams Kangaroo Chelsea's with the most skinny jeans I own, which are not skinny at all but only slightly tapered, the leg opening is about 8in. That's about as far as I would go with it personally, pretty much every other pair of jeans I have is straight leg. I would also add the RM Chelsea's are at least from appearances in pics (I haven't seen the viberg chelsea in person) much slimmer profile than viberg's aesthetic.

14. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

I haven't seen pics of anyone wearing non-skinny jeans with Chelseas or side zips that I think looks good, but I'm sure you're right about people doing it in years past. However, I can't help what I think looks good or what influences my opinion. Styles change over time and older styles don't look good anymore to the masses. That's just how fashion goes. I guess my point is that I may very well have liked the look 20-30 years ago or something, but I just don't think it looks good now. It's kind of like me saying, "I don't think mustaches look good" and someone saying, "But everyone used to have a mustache."

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

did someone just say 195lbs is big?....man..I blew by that weight when I was 14....lol...I may be in on a Chelsea or Side Zip.

2 people like this.
  16. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

c'mon guys. Life's too short to care that much about what others think. I used to be a lot more concerned with this in my younger years, but not anymore. You know why Kanye's cheleas work for him? Because he owns it! Viberg now has a pretty large range of styles to choose from, which should have something for everyone.

3 people like this.
  17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

The last for Kanye's chelseas (whether CP or BV or SLP) is much more elegant. You can't substitute these chelseas in and achieve the same results. They are fundamentally pretty different.

1 person likes this.
  18. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

If you don't like the look of the boots with non-skinny jeans, and you don't wear skinny jeans, there is probably not much I can say to convince you otherwise. I wanted to provide an alternative perspective because it sounds like you like the look of the boots themselves.

I would however disagree with your points on style versus fashion, not to mince words but they mean different things. Classic styles, which I believe Chelsea boots to be part of are timeless regardless of trend or what is considered fashionable in the moment. As are straight cut jeans. Like LVC 1947 jeans and all the repros of them, I dont think there has been a time in the past 70 years where wearing them would have looked out of place, and if you add chelsea boots I think you are good to go.

I personally believe there will be a day in the not so distant future where we, myself and the masses, all look back at the skinny jean absurdity(its really unflattering to most men) in much the same way people laugh at the '80s oversized shoulder pads on suits. Although I have been saying this since 2010 and I have been wrong to date.

But to @gte872h 's point the best styles are the one's you own whatever they may be .......

19. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

Yeah, I mean, I'm not trying to be difficult. It's just my opinion and it mostly pertains to how I'd view them on myself. And I don't mean to defend my viewpoint on them, just point out that I can't really help what I think looks good and what I don't. I regret even posting about it now because I don't think my opinion matters. People should rock what they want to rock and like what they like without concern for what I or anyone else thinks. I agree with previous posters completely in that regard. I just think my legs aren't skinny enough to rock 'em. Here's a pic of me wearing Viberg red dog roughouts from TBB to show you.
    .[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

No worries man, I understand, my initial read of your first comment was that you couldnt find any pics without skinny jeans so i misinterpreted. Based on the pic there I think you would be fine with with some Chelsea boots but if you dont like it there is no need to go any further.

I like those boots. Those the one's from Bureau of Belfast, I had them ever so briefly thought they were really cool but realized I would never wear them.