1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cole87

Cole87 Well-Known Member

I don't have any Whites, but my opinion is to go 9.5 if you want to wear thicker socks and 9 if you are okay with wearing thin socks.

2. vettemike

vettemike Well-Known Member

I like the crust CXL for the Millwright boot! Let's put the specs to a vote.

3. ehult

ehult Well-Known Member

Black bullhide Millwright.

4. Graemsay

Graemsay Well-Known Member

@LA Guy if you've got a chance before you escape, could you post a photo of the reverse sides of the tough boot leathers, particularly the bull and bison hides?

Thanks.

5. Aviv

Aviv Well-Known Member

Late to this convo but yes, eBay has worked and for me personally, grailed is really effective and I can usually get a better price.

Also: for the guys into the side zip: tan horse! tan horse!! Right?? Unless you want to do the black out fashion ninja thing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

Sweet so we can do the crust. What exactly is nail down does anyone have some pics? I'm not into Chelsea boots but some pretty sweet leathers in that bunch too.

7. Broark

Broark Well-Known Member

Crust cxl gets my vote for the work boot. Would look great on a work boot last like the 2045, 110, etc.
    Tan horsehide would get my vote for a Chelsea, don't think I'm fashion enough for a side zip. [​IMG]

8. BHK666

BHK666 Well-Known Member

Indeed, the crust CXL would be a nice leather on a work boot. How about on the 1035 with a mini-lug. Brogue toe cap.

Curious what this stuff looks like when worn in...

9. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

I am afraid I can't do black for the Millwright Boot, but am definitely on board for the Crust CXL. Still need to find out if Viberg will do the lowered heel for this build. But if so, then the Millwright stands as follows:

1940s Service Boot, 310 last
    Crust CXL
    Cap toe (non-brogue)
    5 eyelets, antique brass
    Cat's Paw heel, Vibram half sole
    Stitched down/Nailed down
    Heel lowered 1/8" (pending Viberg approval)
    Natural midsole

I am also open to a brogue captoe, if others prefer that. Normally I don't like brogeuing, but think it looks good on this, and is often on the old boots. But either is fine with me.

@NYDRH @Bobbo316 @meso @Steel28 @bry2000 @vettemike @b-ewing @ShootThePier @BHK666 @justinkapur
    @LA Guy

4 people like this.
  10. bry2000

bry2000 Well-Known Member

I read about crust CXL on the Viberg website, but I am confused how it differs from natural CXL. Viberg describes crust as leather that has not yet been dyed or finished. I thought natural CXL was the same. How are the two leathers different? Can anyone with both put up a comparison?

11. linafelt

My totally inexpert sense is that natural CXL is undyed but finished, so you get that CXL glaze on it, whereas the Crust is not finished, so more matte in appearance. Maybe comparable to the difference between the glazed natural shell that Viberg usually does vs that new unglazed shell they recently offered..?

12. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I personally would prefer the brogueing, think it looks good on this type of boot.
    It's not make or break for me thou.

1 person likes this.
  13. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

One step closer, I wont stand in the way of the cap toe. Count me in for the Millwright in whatever iteration above gets finalized.....

1 person likes this.
  14. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Im still pushing the black horse side zip - Ninja style.

I also really like the burgundy, truly a versatile color but between the two I would go for black on this one. Cant say I like the tan as much.

15. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Well-Known Member

In for this.

2 people like this.
  16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I don't have the leathers on hand, though I've handled them all. Those were pics sent to me by Drew. I can ask him to do that next week though.

Cheers,

Fok.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Just from my experience with Viberg, I would say that while the chelsea (one of my favorite models) is good, that a sidezip, for obvious reasons. can give a more fitted look in the ankle.

I think that both are good options. fwiw, side-zips are considered a variation on a chelsea.
    Cheers,

Fok.

18. orionz06

orionz06 Active Member

I've been out for a few weeks, can anyone share a pic of what the 1940's boot will look like, or close to it?

19. linafelt

This is what we're shooting for. It was a one off boot from back when the 310 was first developed. The Millwright will be very close, but the Crust CXL will be lighter, and the captoe may or may not be brogued, depending of preferences. Come on board!

(As I look at this again, I like the brogue...)

[​IMG]

20. orionz06

orionz06 Active Member

Slightly iffy on the upturned toe but the broguing would make that boot.