1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cole87

Cole87 Senior member

[​IMG]

Just got some black camel service boots. Really loving them already. Very cool texture and pretty damn comfortable for the first day of wear. I'll be putting some thick black leather laces in them to try to make them a little more casual in the future.

FWIW, these are GYW and I sized these the same as my 110s with SD. I just have to wear these with thin socks and the 110s with thick socks, but these fit perfectly. I believe my Brannock size is about 11EE.

1 person likes this.
  2. bbmmpp

bbmmpp Member

Would anyone be interested in a size swap for the unglazed shell? I ordered a 9 and I would like to get an 8.5, but the boots have already been cut according to Drew. This would be handled internally through Viberg.

3. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

Do you already have a 2030 on GYW or stitchdown? I have both, so I'm wondering about your reason for wanting to switch. I oredered a size 10 for the unglazed.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Those look great with some wear on them...do you actually tighten the buckles once they are on? Or just find a spot that works and leave them.

5. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

With mine, I just use the same spot but I'm not overtightening them. The heel slip goes away after they are broken in.

6. bbmmpp

bbmmpp Member

I have a service boot in brown cx (stitchdown)l, which I believe is unlined, and while it's snug with thicker socks and room with thin socks, i'm hoping to wear the unglazed with thinner socks routinely. now, the unglazed does mention a kip lining, unsure what that will do for the fit. or I could be completely wrong and my brown cxl is also lined, making that a moot point...

7. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

I have found (as a few others have on here) that the GYW fits noticeably smaller/tighter than the stitch down. Viberg claims sizing is the same for SD or GYW, but I had to sell my guidi horse GYW boots because they were absurdly tight in the toe box compared to my SD boots. Same thing for the 2030 derbies in guidi calf.

8. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

Do you sell your boots on Ebay?

If so, do you find selling on Ebay successful?

9. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

The cxl boots are generally unlined in the rear quarters but all Vibergs are lined in the vamp. The lining does not matter with size since they are all shaped around the same last. Aviv is correct when he says the GYW fits a bit tighter than stitchdown boots. Since shell does not stretch, it will feel a bit tighter than other leathers in the same size. Fortunately for me I take the same size in 2030 regardless of construction method or leather choice. I wear medium weight socks with all my pairs, but lighter weight socks in my GYW shell could give me a bit more space if desired. Everyone's feet are different but for me, I have a high instep and take a half size bigger in 2030 and 1035 lasts vs the 110 and 310 last.

10. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

This has not been my experience.

I find the shell equivalent in the same size to be looser out the box than its non-shell equivalent. This has been my experience with Viberg, Vass and Alden, shell vs cowhide. The explanation that I have always read and has been given from Vass directly is that shell is harder to pull tight over the last relative to other leathers. Although I would agree that you will not get any stretch after the fact unlike CXL.

I have also found my unlined shell boots to fit about the same as a half size larger lined version. I do not have an explanation or proof other than to say this has been my experience.

I cant speak to the GYW vs. Stitchdown tightness as I have never owned a GYW model.

Ive said this before and I firmly believe there is much more variance across models, patterns and leathers than it might seem and many boots will feel tighter or looser than others even if they are marked the same size for no other reason than it happens. Alot of my Viberg boots vary across sizes within the same last and Ive returned or sold boots that I thought should fit but were too tight relative to other pairs Ive had in the same size. I posted a pic a while back of two exact sized 310 Aged Bark models one RO and one grain side they looked immensely different in the photo and the RO version felt tighter and ultimately I decided it wasnt going to work,

2 people like this.
  11. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

eBay has always been the most effective way for me to monetize my closet. Depends on how you define success, but if you put them on eBay they will sell for some $ value. Some people seem to feel grailed is quite effective, I haven't had much luck. The B&S here has been a nightmare for me personally(selling not buying) but I believe alot of people utilize it quite effectively. If you are selling Vibergs, you shoud expect to take a financial hit except for the rarest of models.

12. metranger8694

Thanks for the info. B&S has got me some inquiries but no sales yet.

Would you consider SF GMTO's on the 110 Cats Paw/Vibram, with maybe only 5+ pairs made each rare models?

13. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

I was not speaking to unlined shell on stitchdown, but to the lined shell on GYW which I have experience in.

14. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Yes. But I believe I made an imprecise word choice earlier, I should have said desirable, and of course alot of the particulars would involve size as well. Shell generally garners the most fervent desire to pay up for a used pair of boots(Alden shell boots in "rare" colors for sure), stitchdown Viberg shell I would guess is the most sought after but there was a pair not too long ago that sold for under retail and it was BNIB(that one still surprises me). Unfortunately I think you are going to lose money no matter what these days, especially when you factor in fees. There are really few clothing/footwear products that you will ever recoup full value once purchased.

15. metranger8694

Thanks again.

Well, fortunately I like the boots I was considering selling so keeping them and enjoying them shall prevail.

But I will be a lot more selective in the future.

I've posted this before but one boot I wish I knew about before it sold out in my size was the 3sixteen Natty CXL roughout on stacked leather/mini ripple. Really good looking boots and a color brown that I don't have. Just a visually well balanced boot...I don't know if I've seen a stacked leather midsole before.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  16. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Im not sure what in my response you are referencing with the above line? My main point in the first paragraph was that shell boots and shoes have always been looser on the same last and same size in Vass (handwelted) and Alden (GYW) and Viberg (Stitchdown), and the explanation has always been that the material is harder to pull as tight over the last. The lined vs unlined comment I made was just a comparison of exactly that.

17. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Cool, no problem. Definitely, I think you will get more "value" using and enjoying them. I got those 3sixteen's in black, they are a unique design that I really like. Incidentally I find them to be a bit tight, Ive considered selling them due to fit but obviously I cant replace them. I have a theory that all the RO models are tighter.

18. metranger8694

^ can a cobbler stretch them?

Does anyone make ultra thin merino socks?

19. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

I was referring to the fact you do not have experience in comparing Stitchdown vs GYW Vibergs. I do and was telling about my experience. It seems a bit more applicable to compare lined GYW Vibergs, since that is what the specs of the unglazed shell are. An apples to apples comparison if you will.

20. Joona

Joona Senior member

@metranger8694 Pantherella makes pretty thin merino wool socks (actual composition is 90 % merino,10 % nylon).