1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. limonade

limonade Well-Known Member

+1 for the meatloaf last.

2. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

I know the toe shape on the 1035 is different from the 2030. Could someone go into detail in other ways in which it is different? Is it wider around the ball of the foot or around the heel and ankle? Is the instep higher than the 2030? Is it longer or shorter, heel-to-ball, heel-to-toe?

3. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Senior member

Longer, and toe box doesn't grab your toes like 2030. For lack of a better explanation, less toe/front foot support. I'm an E width.

1 person likes this.
  4. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I wrote that just for you. Perhaps the 1035 is better suited for a boot than a derby. I don't know. The derby still rocks for me......

My Smoke Reverse Kudus on the 1035 are one of my favorite Vibergs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wish I could figure out how to post pics side by side.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's non-negotiable for this type of leather.

Frankly, it's the right call. I have a pair of stitchdown ()the usual, not double stitchdown that Viberg does) Sophnet boots that look awesome, but the suede is just not really right for the stitchdown. You need a certain thickness and toughness in the leather as well as malleability, for stitchdown to be a really good construction method. That's why you still see it on many workboots and also, really casual, bang around boots like Clarks. However, in many cases, the welt serves to protect the thinner leather from failure. Of course, it's not like every pair will fail, but I do think that it's prudent to use the construction method that would work best to create a durable boot from whatever you have. If we were doing a boot using that oil tanned leather than is used in Viberg's workboot line, for sure, I'd advocate for stitchdown, and we've done a bunch of those boots in stitchdown, but not in this case.

I'm not going to change your mind on this, I'm sure, but it's worth thinking about.

6. LA Guy

Not just a different color. The entire boot, sole and all, will be dyed to an off white color. That way, we end up with something that is truly unique. The stacked midsole will show the variations in how the dye takes to the different layers.

I'm super stoked about this.

7. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

I totally understand everything you're saying. I still think there is more to it than Viberg lets on, but that's another argument.

To the point: how about choose a leather that CAN take stitch down? If you use a "thinner" leather and GYW it ruins the whole look for me. I understand the durability and appropriateness arguement regarding the welt, I just hate how it looks.

8. LA Guy

For the echo boot, we are going to use crust leather, which will take the dye, and which is the entire idea behind the boot...

For something else, like the "tough boot", sure, I'm open to stitchdown ideas, and in fact, often in favor of them.

I like some boots in stitchdown. In others, like the sidezips and chelseas, I really don't think that it makes much sense. I am not in favor of one method over another, just a proponent of what works best for a specific boot. For example, the Engineer boots that JUST ARRIVED, (and I even got a pair for myself), I was very strong on stitchdown, since it's a tough, asskicker's boot in robust leather.

The echo, though, that's not it...

Similarly, if we were going to do a walking boot based after a European walking boot, I'd probably want to do it in a Norwegian welt.

For this round, I am planning 3 boots. The first, either sidezip or a chelsea. The next, a rugged boot, more in keeping with what we've done in the past. The third boot will be a street boot that hopefully will be the echo boot.

1 person likes this.
  9. billymax

billymax Senior member

Yes, I would be totally in on that exact spec.

10. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

That is an interesting boot but I don't know what to make of that thick arse sole.

Maybe it's the lack of heel that throws me but that's a sole I haven't seen before.

It's just a comfy, streetwear walking around boot I guess.

11. LA Guy

No offense meant, but we are not going to do a boot that is an exact replica of a boot that another retailer has done, unless it's a standard model.

It's sorta disrespectful, and also, something that Viberg will definitely just not allow us to do.

I can get behind an all black boot, but let's try to take inspiration from outside the universe of already extant Viberg models, please, The idea is to do some new and cool stuff, not to cannabalize what has already been done. I think that the echo boot and our bison "sleek hunter" were great examples of that, and the sleek hunter sold 24 units (it would have been 50+. but we ran out of leather), so clearly, if we make something cool enough, people will get aboard. Let's take that mindset and run with it, please?

12. janoy89

janoy89 Senior member

I'm not sure of that boot's origin, but how many ways can you really do a blacked-out wedge sole boot? There's nothing really revolutionary there.

Aside from the sole change, what else could we change? I think a natural midsole and tonal stitching could be cool but beyond that..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. LA Guy

It's from a store in Hong Kong from 2012 or so, and it's in the old "bobcat" model. I would want to do that as a Scout boot, and leave it all black, midsole included, but with black waxed laces , and I dunno about the sole. Maybe something slightly thinner. That also looks like it has a double midsole (I have a boot like that), so maybe we'd take that out instead, I like a wedge sole, but that thick of a sole looks a bit dated to me, and not in an "old timey, cool vintage" way, but something that was trendy a few years ago way.

14. janoy89

janoy89 Senior member

Agreed on all of that, didn't realise it wasn't a scout boot. I think there's an extra midsole above the slipsole and the gloxi-cut is a little slimmer to begin with.

It would pretty much be this pair blacked out.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Noctone

Noctone Senior member

At the risk of sounding like a philistine when it comes to the finer points of boot construction, I'm continually confounded by the obsession itt with stitch down welts.

16. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

110 last, mocha vintage on commando, GYW. Breaking in nicely and comfortable from the start.

The UK made commando is very heavy duty. The wide lugs allow a lot of gravel and debris to get wedged but they grip like crazy in mud. I assume they'll perform well in snow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  17. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I think the answer is fairly simple. Since the company only started offering GYW construction last year(as far as I know), most people's association with product and the brand is stitchdown. It gives the boots a certain aesthetic that drew in customers looking for a unique, well made boot that had a different appeal than the other GYW boots out there. Im not going to put words in other people's mouths so I will speak from my own, stitchdown construction to me is their brand identity so there is something very odd about the change mainly the look.

1 person likes this.
  18. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

You are correct.
    Additionally, stitchdown does have a level of structural integrity that GYW does not offer. See below for description from MWS.

4 people like this.
  19. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

And....., oh by the way...
    Some extinct stitchdown shell here today. (x-post)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. ShootThePier

ShootThePier Senior member

It changes the look SD to GYW. For me, it was one of the aspects that made me want my first Vibergs. It's almost like changing a steak dinner to vegetarian, may be healthier but not as tasty.
    Here are my 310 last
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.