Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. meso

meso Senior member

I agree that the $600 to $800 jump gives me pause, given that there is a range of made in america brands for half that. I know, pay to play, if you want it then buy it, yadda... but I'm just not sure I could justify it for another pair of boots.

2. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I have pair of Vibergs that are in my avatar and they are incredible. Most likely I'll be in the SF MTO.

3. Dino19

Dino19 Senior member

It's USD70 for international, I was told when I asked about MTO.

4. waldamsel

waldamsel New Member

Top, I can not wait to order!

5. zola

zola Senior member

no, 75 for US/CAN 150 for international and it only show´s up at the end of the ordering process..

6. zola

zola Senior member

Sorry Guy, but that is not true. Have you heard about HAIX, the brand that equipes all firefighters in germany and military groups all over the world? Their shoes are not at all in fashion but the best you can buy and used by paramedics, emergency physicians, helicopter pilots and professionals of all kind. Their state of the art boot is used around the world and the most expensive one is available for 269 €!!! http://www.haix-webshop.de/fire/5/fire-flash-pro?c=2151
    I am a professionally working on/with helicopters and the scene and this is the best you can get! nothing I would prefer to wear privately, so please don't tell me anything about practical reasons.
    Viberg needs to get off the "business model" otherwise they are selling their soul.. and stop charging customers for shipping when you ask for 650 dollars (and much more plus) for a pair - that is nor appropriate!

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Good to hear, want a pair as well but if its gonna be $800 I'll get carmina shell or edward green calf

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Apples and oranges. You can get a structural firefighting boot like the Pro Warrington for around $400-500. They're fairly popular in the US. Woodland firefighting is a different game.

9. jwalterweather

jwalterweather Senior member

Viberg has a line of real workboots that cost much less than $650:

http://www.workboot.com/steel-toe-safety-boots/

The boots we are talking about in this forum are their separate "fashion" line of boots. The two lines have different websites viberg.com and workboot.com, but are both Viberg.

10. mijama

mijama Well-Known Member

Viberg should take advantage of the hype. For decades they have put out some of the best workboots $ can by in the westcoast. It would be different if they killed the workboot site and serviced the fashion side solely. But they haven't and fr what I can tell the prices are still relatively the same for their loyal workmen customers. The MTO was something that carried over fr the workboot site. Which cannot be maintained if they are to compete in the fashion world. 1. They can't slap their logo on every ugly boot we think looks good... It has to be in line with their identity--What they think is acceptable. Fr what I understand even the MTOs will be "guided" and options will not be as liberal. Keep in mind this is only for the fashionline and that their workboots will probably be the same. 2. Viberg is small and plan to continue the same quality and passion- w a greater demand for inventory. Most machines will be set up for greater production and a custom order can set them back. It's almost not worth it.
    I just think as long as they keep servicing the workboot site, and stick to their 200+ step process, they're doing the right thing. They are using the same winning formula they have for decades--quality craft w premium materials. It's just now that the materials are -- horween/horsehide/guidi leathers

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sure. Of course. It should be noted that Carmina and Edward Green, and Viberg, are different animals. I don't think that it makes much sense to compare one to the other.

12. Dino19

Dino19 Senior member

Great. Looking forward to the oxford, hopefully it'll be something that I'll like.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Hype is a dangerous beast, that you should play with, if you a short term business plan, other wise it will come back and bite you in the ass.

14. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Well, this price hike just confirms my Whites SDs vs Viberg Service Boots debate. Eight bills a hellova lot of scratch! You can practically get two pairs of MTO Whites for the price of one pair of Vibergs. Crazy

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that having 2 separate lines that are essentially not associated in any way, except that the fashion line references the original, heritage, line, is usually a winning strategy. Of course, the devil is in the details, but it seems that every brand, be it heritage or sports, that has successfully made an entry into the fashion market without sacrificing its base, has taken this strategy. Nike, of course, is a great example. The way to do this most economically, but also with the least upside, is in licensing.

On a much cooler note, check out the beginnings of my MTO service boots, which are in a special "heather grey" leather, roughout, with the smooth side out on the heel counter. They will sit on a double leather midsole and a beige Vibram 2060 sole. I designed them specifically as "sneaker boots". If enough people want something like that, we can get them in the Styleforummarket MTO program. We will document the entire process.

[​IMG]

Right now, I am planning a scout or service boots on a leather or Dainite sole, a pair of oxfords on the same, and a pair of chukkas on a Vibram sole. You guys would vote on the details so that we get something awesome. And it would be malleable. If people wanted 2 different pairs of boots, and there was less interest in the oxfords, we'd do that, etc... What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013