Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

Well they aren't falling apart. It's just that one small point. I'm disappointed but the jury is still out for now. Again, this isn't a stitching problem.

2. meso

meso Senior member

Mainly aesthetic. The welt is coming up a bit. Easiest way would be to put a dab of contact cement on a q-tip, work it in there, then use a small clamp and let the pair rest for a day.

3. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

Thanks a lot. I was thinking something like this would be the solution. Do you mind recommending a type of contact cement? I wouldn't know where to start.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

There's something called Shoe Goo, but it's thick, sticky, and hard to work with. If you were careful with it using a toothpick as an applicator, it could work.

Honestly though, I think you should just ride them out. They're not falling apart, and boots are meant to get beat up. Nobody is going to notice a tiny separation on that part of the shoe.

5. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I wore a pair with a double leather sole for a couple of months, and just never took to it. Slippery on wet floors (and I would assume show or ice though never had the experience) and even certain carpets but was fine of course on pavement or concrete. But it really sort of slaps the ground I found as I walked, and just didn't give any cushion. I also had for a shorter period a pair with Dainite, and i liked them much better. Also a bit slippery on wet floors, but good everywhere else, and great on grass or in mud. A nice cushion as you walk. The cleats can seem a little weird if you are not used to them, but I like the sole a lot.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

@aviv I would say it is probably the universe punishing you for buying something made out of that deplorable CXL leather

7. meso

meso Senior member

I've used weldwood brand for a few projects like putting a rubber topsole on shoes and it's worked fine. You can get it at home depot along with a small clamp for $10 total.

I've never had that much luck with shoe goo... maybe I just have bad memories of my dad trying to get a week more wear out of his running shoes by using huge globs of shoe goo :)

8. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

It's dust black calf actually ;)

9. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I prefer Dainite for the simple reason that I don't have to worry as much about stepping on glass. I live in an urban area with a surprising amount of broken glass on the streets/sidewalks. I am always careful when wearing double leather because one piece of glass can ruin them. The Dainite are much more robust.

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Dainite is certainly more practical than a double leather sole. It might also be a touch more comfortable. I can't speak to durability as I haven't worn either long enough but I certainly don't see excessive wear on the leather. Aside from practicality, there is just a "je ne sais quoi" about all leather soles that is very appealing to me. I like having Dainite or Commando at my disposal when needed but I think I'd pick double leather all things considered.

11. ghosty06

ghosty06 Active Member

Alright, since this is coming here sooner or later. GYW is doing a collab with Notre on some make ups for Vibergs. Pretty similar to what Fok has done for SF. The format is going to be managed by a few of the folks instead of one guy doing it and will be vetted by them. On a side note, there's a ton of knowledge here and would love to see more guys from the community joining us. Link's below and Thursday is the date where you can post suggestions on makeups.

http://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...uncement_notre_x_rgoodyearwelt_collaboration/

12. CelliniEVO

CelliniEVO Senior member

What's the general consensus on using shoe-trees on an unstructured toe on the 2030 last? Will it just prolong it collapsing? Ideally, I'd like to prevent the upward curve you get on boots that aren't tree-d.

Thanks

13. allenp24

allenp24 Well-Known Member

I am sure someone has asked this before but is mr porter viberg size or US? It says US but then it says to go down a full size. Thanks!

14. sklark23

sklark23 Senior member

On the subject of the GYWxNotrexViberg collab, make sure you register (make a user) so you can vote if you plan on participating.

15. sklark23

sklark23 Senior member

from what I read earlier in the thread it is just Viberg size listed which is why they say size down 1