Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. meso

meso Senior member

That's it, I'm selling all my durable, full-grain leather boots and buying some cheap split corrected leather because it looks shinier and someone on Reddit told me to.

2. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

That's it, I'm selling all my durable, full-grain leather boots and buying some cheap split corrected leather because it looks shinier and someone on Reddit told me to.[/quote

That just made me laugh out loud

3. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

What Reddit says to do is just what StyleForum said to do two years ago, or a cheaper version version of that. Nothing wrong with the classics.

4. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

So would you consider Viberg to not be a good leather worker? They're shoes have shown plenty of loose grain creasing when it comes to CXL. The fact that it is even harder to detect poor parts of the hide should be clue enough in itself.

5. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

The fact that a leather is harder to work with doesn't make it bad. Any leather worker worth his salt should be flexing the leather anyway. If leather that's hard to work with were lower quality, shell cordovan (among many other leathers) wouldn't be lauded here.

I can't count how many times I've seen people on Reddit mischaracterize creasing as "loose grain." Viberg's clicker goes through tons and tons of leather when making a boot. I generally trust them in terms of leather selection. Some mistakes get by; some stockists mistreat boots and that can lead to issues.. Most of the CXL I've seen from them is fine. My CXL from them is fine. White's seems to use CXL successfully, too.

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

We should take up a collection to pay you for teaching us what we fail to see with our own eyes. This must be what Luke felt like when first training with Yoda. All my CXL shoes that I thought were aging beautifully are actually flawed junk and not worth the price. Sad I am.

7. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

You're taking the term "harder" out of context. By harder, it was very clear I meant that it is harder to find quality CXL within the hides. The fact that this even happens with CXL tells you something. If it was an exact science with, why do some CXL indies have terrible loose grain and others not? It seems as if it is difficult to tell.

There's a difference between attractive creasing and the loose grain creasing seen on many CXL shoes I've seen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

8. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

CXL can look good if it doesn't have terrible loose grain creasing and if the top finish hasn't been completely removed with wear.

But, anyway, sure, no problem. I'll do it with another shoe (not CXL) to illustrate my point on beat up shoes.

If you see this picture here:

http://instagram.com/p/rnC6RKrpuJ/?modal=true

That doesn't look good. If you are wearing shoes like that, people are just gonna assume that A) you're homeless, B) can't afford new shoes, C) Just got off work as a painter.

I don't understand the appeal of overly beat up boots or people who desire a really beat up patina. Even those shoe shine scammers in New Orleans on Bourbon street wouldn't touch that pair I linked with a 10 foot pole for fear of catching ebola.

Getting your shoes really beat up is not fashion or style. It's a joke and most normal people will see it as such. Sometimes when you get so concerned with all the little details of a particular industry, you lose the big picture an outsider can see--those are bum shoes. Quite frankly if I saw someone wearing on shoes that beat up I'd wonder if they're the type of person that doesn't wipe up after going #2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

9. ghosty06

ghosty06 Active Member

I love that look to be honest and all for a constructive argument but this CXL argument has been beaten to death. I get that some people don't like the beatup distressed look but I love the look of Guidi Leather and in general Guidi boots. I think you're missing an important part of your argument. A lot of fit pictures with this look great when paired with the right outfit.

Sorry I know these aren't Vibergs and will happily take this post down but do feel like it'll help contribute with this CXL/Beat Up leather argument. This most definitely is a style and is a huge part of fashion. The lady's pic with the guidi boots is my favorite and demonstrates how great the look can be when paired with the right outfits. Again this is restricted to Guidi but heaps of pictures that demonstrate all sorts of these looks. Biker looks are also a fav.

Beat

Up

Guidi

Outfits

Are

Cool

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

10. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Did you just link a guy dressed like Zorro? We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't think those outfits look good.

11. ghosty06

ghosty06 Active Member

It's /u/daou0782 and has some of the coolest outfits he posts on here and reddit. No worries! It's cool, this stuff is just not for you then. But would be cooler to just have an open mind rather than trolling everyone on here.

12. sazon

sazon Senior member

Viberg x Leffot

[​IMG]

13. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

You have to understand that styleforum as a community is a crossroads between many different fashion styles and interests.

Does anyone else think that shoe would look better with a partially structured toe?

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

That's a lot of eyelets! Looks good.

If this isn't a case study in Asperger's aggravated by idiocy, I don't know what is.

At what point are you going to follow through on this and shut it? Nobody cares what you think about CXL or anything else.

:lol:

[​IMG]

15. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member