Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. z8k1n

z8k1n Senior member

As the holder of said purple boot, an update.. in short, I'm going to send the pair back to BCC (they'll cover shipping) and I will get a refund. They offered a discount (I didn't even ask how much) if I wanted to keep the pair and also suggested maybe leaving the blue one in the sun to match (thanks/no thanks). Looks like the natty cxl gmto is meant to be my first pair of Vibergs..
    Meanwhile, if any of you lost your right foot and are size 7 for your remaining one, now's your chance to get a killer deal..

2. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Because, as has been suggested, these issues should never leave the factory. These are not minor things that people had to break out the magnifying glass to notice. They are glaring. Customer service after the fact is all well and good, but it appears Viberg needs to address the person(s) responsible for inspecting before shipment.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I guess whatever company you work for is beyond reproach as well and have never made a single mistake?

Apple has a $700bil market cap and I received a phone the other day that should have never left the factory.

You really seem to be on a high horse against Viberg for no good reason. Shit happened, a pair of boots left the factory that shouldn't have, nobody died or was injured as a result so lets see who the issue is or isn't resolved and ultimately people will decide for themselves whether they feel good about spending $$ with the company or not

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

5. meso

meso Senior member

Not a personal attack by any means. If you can't handle the disappointment (as you put it) of returning a pair of boots there are lots of other options out there.

Irregularities sneak through, some more glaring than others. While the popularity of Viberg may result in a downturn in QC, one pair with a major issue doesn't necessarily signal that.

Let he who has never made a mistake at his job throw the first stone :satisfied:

6. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior member

Sounds like you're of the opinion that if a customer doesn't complain or is meek enough to not want to rock the boat and deal with any perceived issues then the company is not at fault for allowing the mistake to happen in the first place?

Jesus. What a crock.

So who is the real problem here, the customer who bought a product in good faith of receiving a quality item or the company who sends a bad product out the door hoping somebody will settle for it? Fact is, this isn't a "single mistake" as you put it. More and more, we're seeing subpar shoes coming out of Viberg, from the derby eyelet issue, the mismatched boots, the shitty stitching mentioned several months ago and now the nail-sole pair. Single mistake my ass.

Your Apple analogy is shit. These aren't iPhones make by the millions in a factory in China. These are low-quantity boots/shoes built by a small team with hands on every part of the process. Mistakes shouldn't leave the factory.

No one's on a high horse here. We're disappointed. Shit didn't just happen — it's been happening with more frequency. Whether the issue gets resolved or not (I'm sure it will) doesn't excuse the fact that it happened in the first place. Either they slipped through the QC or they intentionally were sent out knowing someone out there was going to get fucked over and hopefully bend over and take it.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

you are seriously an idiot. I have said multiple times that there is an issue, that he should contact the company immediately, and we should see how it is handled.

Quality issues happen in every environment. I literally forgot more about manufacturing today than you will likely ever know about it. I have worked in hand made, custom built products my entire professional career. Including an industry that produces less than 20 units a year with an average selling price of $2mm. Guess what? Mistakes still happen and customers get unhappy.

The more Vibergs that get produced the more an issue is going to arise. However, we have no idea what their defect rate is and if it is going up or down relative to the number of pairs produced.

I cannot be more clear that the issue ideally should not have occurred int he first place but clearly it did. Companies big and small all have mistakes made and rather than you expounding idiotically about some pre-conceived notion to screw over the customer why don't we wait for the person who spent his hard earned money to respond with the resolution and whether he is pleased or not

8. skeptical jesus

skeptical jesus Senior member

[​IMG]

9. skeptical jesus

skeptical jesus Senior member

Then what defect, if any, would you deem unacceptable? What would actually signal the decline of a company that once stood for unmatched quality? It's fine if the answer is, "No one single thing, it's something that needs to be considered in the aggregate," but I'm just trying to clarify if that's what you think.

IMO, anything that could have been caught by a basic QA review is unacceptable to have left the door for a handmade product, and makes me seriously reconsider wanting to purchase products from that company again. If I can't count on the folks handmaking my boots to spend literally 60 seconds reviewing them to make sure they're up to snuff, why am I paying $700 for them?

10. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Yeah, anyone who would point out increasing quality control issues on $700+ pairs of boots is an idiot. Slow clap for you, genius.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

how do you know the issues are increased?? Are you aware of how many pairs a day they produce and how many have issues? I don't. You are making assumptions based off of your perception. The brand has more visibility, more pairs get produced, and yes issues arise. I believe it is an inexcusable mistake by whoever approved those boots for shipment. They should either be trained accordingly, a new procedure should be put in place, or they should be fired. But I still have no way of knowing that these issues are more than they used to be and I would love to understand how you do. I am stating hard manufacturing facts and you are making personal bias assumptions, genius....

12. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I'm giving you credit for both reading the thread and reading for comprehension. But in case I am incorrect on the latter, as pointed out above, "the derby eyelet issue, the mismatched boots, the shitty stitching mentioned several months ago and now the nail-sole pair."

Edit to add, the only person making personal attacks here is you. Nobody else is calling others "idiot."

13. thebayst

thebayst New Member

Hey guys...was wondering if I could get some help here. I'm looking to buy a pair of boots in an 8.5uk on the 160 last, but not sure if they'll be too big. I like my shoes on the snug size (not tight, but I don't want to have to shove insoles in them and wear thick socks.)

I tried on a pair of 8.5uk's on the 2030 last but they were seriously uncomfortable, although I believe that the length was good (I'll add a pic.) Then again, I've never had a pair of boots so I'm not sure if they're too long either... my big toe is where I'm pointing to at the boot.

[​IMG]

In short, do you guys think a 9.5 us brannock would equate to an 8.5uk in the 160 last? thanks guys!

14. guyferguson

guyferguson Affiliate vendor

I don't have much time these days to contribute to this thread or even keep up with it, but i felt like this warranted a response. The reality is that these instances of mistakes and flaws have absolutely not become more frequent. They have certainly become more public though. I can say with confidence that this community is aware of nearly every mistake we have made on a product in the last two years. Even the mistakes we aren't responsible for, like a sun faded boot being shipped from a retailer, seem to be held against us. Having a reputation for quality and a price point to match certainly opens us up to heightened levels of scrutiny and i'm okay with that since i know how rarely these things occur and we are in a position to deal with customers directly and find fast, suitable resolutions when they do.

Our production has not increased. We have gained visibility as a brand for sure, and we're making less workboots these days, but our manufacturing capacity is fixed and has been maxed out for quite a few years. We have never had as many employees devoted to the finishing process and boots are now checked over several times before shipping to a retailer and again if ordered directly from viberg.com. We have cut down on flaws tremendously in the last year (probably 2-300%) and we are constantly adapting our production and management systems to continue improving on this. Things will always slip through though because that is simply the nature of manufacturing and human error. I'm not sure how many of you have worked in assembly line type jobs before, but i think you would be surprised at how easy it is to miss a seemingly glaring mistake when you've been staring at racks of boots for 7 hours searching for loose threads to burn and erasing pen marks. It shouldn't happen, but it does and everyone here feels terrible and embarrassed when it ends up in a customer's hands. There are about 15 people who make your boots and they all have integrity and pride in the finished product.

I've dealt with many of you personally and i think you'd vouch for our willingness to own up to our mistakes and make things right as quickly as possible. We are honest and transparent as a company and the implication that we want our customers to "bend over and take it" is ridiculous and offensive. If any of you ever have questions or concerns about a product or just want some more information on a process or material i am always available to speak directly via email.

15. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

^^^

This is just another reason why I can't wait to get a pair of 2030 last Boondockers and a pair of NAT CXL service boots and won't settle for anything else out there.