• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rex555

Reaction score
Completely unacceptable. The increasing frequency of poor QC is disconcerting.
Oh really. Of all the boots sold and all the complaints heard here, this is really disconcerting? Really tough crowd to please. Just saying

Skell6009

Reaction score
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Those shoes are clearly two different colors. Either no one bothered to look at the boots, or they looked and thought, "eh, maybe they won't complain." Neither scenario is acceptable in my opinion at this or any price point, but especially at this price point.

Quote:
I'm just going to re-iterate what skeptical jesus has already said about the blue/purple pair that was posted recently.

These kinds of errors go beyond someone complaining about loose grain creasing on a CXL boot. That nail in the heel is obviously messed up. Those black stains on the heels don't belong on a new boot. Even a 5 year old child could point out these mistakes. So whoever is QCing these boots is either grossly incompetent, or decided that these boots were "good enough" to be sold for $700. Both scenarios are what I would consider disconcerting.

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
cheers.gif

CelliniEVO

Reaction score
After years of lusting over Vibergs, I'm pretty damn disappointed!
I sent Mr. Porter & Viberg an email. In my opinion, both parties dropped the ball sending me these. I understand that these are handmade, but I've got 5 pairs of Red Wings, 3 Aldens, and 1 AE and have never seen anything even remotely close to this. Hell, one of the Red Wings are 1907 factory 2nds thats only defect is a mild creasing on the moc toe! There are pencil lines like the one I photo'd all over both boots like it was a mad dash to get them out and I'm concerned they were lap-over reference points that were missed when sewing. Dropping this amount of $ I was expecting to be in awe....though I do still love the design and would love to find something similar if anyone has suggestions

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mistakes occur in every facet and industry of manufacturing. It's how these issues are dealt with that set the great companies apart. I would suggest we see the resolution before jumping to any mass conclusions

Skell6009

Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt that Viberg will make things right. I think the point skeptical jesus and I are trying to make is that even the most basic of QC inspections should have prevented his pair from ever leaving the factory in the first place and save the buyer this disappointment and frankly unnecessary hassle of getting an exchange/refund.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mistakes occur in every facet and industry of manufacturing. It's how these issues are dealt with that set the great companies apart. I would suggest we see the resolution before jumping to any mass conclusions

I don't think there is any doubt that Viberg will make things right. I think the point skeptical jesus and I are trying to make is that even the most basic of QC inspections should have prevented his pair from ever leaving the factory in the first place and save the buyer this disappointment and frankly unnecessary hassle of getting an exchange/refund.

As rydenfan mentioned how they handle it determines a lot. If they are so overwhelmed that customer service turns bad too, then you have a problem...I buy a lot of AE and believe me I know what quality control issues can be, however AE bends over backwards to make things right and gives us perks like waived gmto fees and reasonable mto fees.

Nothing replaces the disappointment of getting your first pair damaged but great customer service will make it right and keep you as a customer.

I have worked in QC and full filment in the past and things get bye sometimes...

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're emotionally scarred by returning a pair of boots this may not be the hobby for you.

Skell6009

Reaction score
Really, personal attacks now?

I like Viberg as much as the next guy, but they are not above reproach. Bigger picture, I'm concerned that Viberg's rapidly growing list of stockists is putting a strain on production and is ultimately affecting the overall quality that we've come to expect from them.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an Oxford fanatic. I look for them all of the time. Gentry and Blue Button are the only ones I've seen in months and they were both ripple soles. The Derby kind of replaced the 145 Oxford. I have the Derby on the 1035, but my favorite is still the 145 Oxford on a 110 last. Viberg told me that Japan was the only region getting the Oxfords. I really wish Viberg would offer them on their website.

I totally agree. The newer derby shoes are nice, but I really like the older work oxfords and wish they would make more available, especially with more standard soles. Like this one (110 last, structured toe, vibram half sole, contrasting eyelets -- perfect).

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree. The newer derby shoes are nice, but I really like the older work oxfords and wish they would make more available, especially with more standard soles. Like this one (110 last, structured toe, vibram half sole, contrasting eyelets -- perfect).
linafelt. That's a nice shoe. Would you wear that strictly with jeans and chinos or could you wear them with dress pants. Thx.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it when a brand becomes so beyond reproach to the Borg that basic quality control issues get nothing more than a shrug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads