Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

+1 - order placed
    Thank you for your help in putting this together

PS - what was the original ETA on this run?

2. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Please explain what Viberg considers "partially-structured toe-boxes" to be?

In traditional shoe manufacturing a toe box is made out of "Salpa" which is regenerated cuoio (leather shavings) impregnated with glue. This is available in varying degrees of hardness and thickness. Sometimes (in cheaper shoes) it is also made out of a thermoplastic material. The toe box is placed in between the shoe lining and the leather upper. Once placed in between it is heated and "pre formed" so that the upper can then be placed over the last and pulled and glued to the inner sole.

When I read "unstructured" I am taking that to mean there is NO toe box at all placed in between the upper and lining. Is this the case??? Or are you considering "unstructured" to mean that there IS a toe box and it is simply one with a soft and pliable specification?

The Mr. Porter Viberg cap toe makeup had a firm and rigid toe box. The heel counter was also of a firm and rigid specification. The heel counter seemed quite similar to many of my Trickers boots. The toe box appeared to be firmer than that used in the same mentioned Trickers boots. A firm toe box is quite understandable when considering the kind of work boots Viberg is known to manufacture.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

There is no salpa in the Viberg unstructured toe boxes. That said, the leather than they typically use, and especially with the cap toe, is quite thick compared to most boots, and ime, hold up as well as the salpa in many other brands. There are exceptions, of course, but the natural CXL is extremely hardy. The toe box that is used by Viberg is extremely hard, and imo, doesn't always suit the style we are going for here.

4. ksakke

ksakke Well-Known Member

Don't want to sound like an ass, but hopefully opening this does not slow the manufacturing of the original orders. The preorder wss open for a while, though, and interested parties could have jumped on it at that time.

Tinkering with the timetable is just as bad as tinkering with the make would be!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

5. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Thank you for the reply.
    You are correct- the Mr Porter boot had a toe box which you could drive a truck over! I can see how many would want something softer.

Once again - thank you for opening this up.

6. LA Guy

It's a fair question. I made sure that nothing was yet in production, and that we would not lose our place in line. I've been doing this for a bit now, and have worked with vendors before. Larger orders of the same thing are generally welcome. It's just a more efficient use of the production line, since the set up of the machinery for one pair is the same as for 1000 pairs. It's also the reason that for group MTO, there are no changes in the make after the very first order, and no customozation apart from what was agreed to in the first place.

7. tylerB

tylerB Member

Are we still looking at a late January arrival for these new orders?
    Thanks!

8. LA Guy

Yes.

9. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

Anyone here pick up the dust black boots from Mohawk General? I just ordered a pair after a long period of hemming and hawing. I just love the look of the leather.

10. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

I have a custom pair coming soon made from the dust black leather.

11. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

Might I ask what you mean by custom pair? I thought MTO was over with (other that SF group makeups)?

12. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

I visited the Viberg factory in the summer time and I put a custom order in.

13. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

Pretty cool! What can you tell me about the leather? (Also what make up have you chosen?)

14. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

It looks charcoalish at first, but after some wear it will look more brown. These derbies are the same leather.
    [​IMG]

I went with a service boot on a dainite sole, 1035 unstructured toe, gunmetal eyelets. I'll take pictures once I receive them.

15. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

That's awesome. I'll post pics of mine when I get them. I'm looking forward to the 2040.