1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Distinguished Member

Yeah the hype has gone insane.

The latest Mr Porter vs Styleforum price war drama has been icing on the cake.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Speaking of which, it turns out that since I already did one set of refunds, that my stupid backend won't let me do it again.

No worries. Every pair of natural CXL shipped will come with a crisp new $20 bill, which I will personally sign with "Don't spend it all in one place." I don't kid about things like this.

Cheers,

Fok.

3. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Distinguished Member

I love when Fok gets passionate about something.

4. cld33

cld33 Member

What is the first thing you do when you get a new pair of Viberg's? Wear for awhile or treat in some way? I have a pair on the way and Chicago winter has already started...

5. z8k1n

z8k1n Senior Member

+1, I'm about to receive my first cxl boot, only have experience w Alden shell (first world problems) where I follow Mac's advice.
    Any thoughts re cxl boots out of the box and moving forward will be appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

6. Pairate

Pairate Senior Member

- remove from box
    - wear everywhere

The CXL is pretty thick compared to what Alden uses. It took a good amount of wear till I felt they were broken in. If you've only had Aldens in the past, you'll see why many say Vibergs are built like tanks

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

My last two pairs have not come with a bottle of VSC. I hope viberg didn't stop this as I always thought it was a nice little touch

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

8. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

+1 on wearing your new boots right out of the box for some time before thinking of treating them (even with CXL).

With regard to Brian the Bootmaker resoling Vibergs, there's this:

[​IMG]

These Oxfords would have come with a wedge sole, but with a heel and half sole they are totally transformed. He describes it also as being converted to a "hand welted construction," which I am not sure is the same as Goodyear, but clearly is no longer a Viberg style stitch down. So, you lose the stitch down, which is too bad, but otherwise a great looking pair of resoled oxfords for sure.

9. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior Member

They didn't, I think it depends on what you're getting. I don't think I received a bottle with the kudu since you wouldn't want to use VSC on it.

10. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior Member

As far as I know, he's not actually hand-welting anything in the conventional sense, is he? I remember having a picture of what he actually does (when he's not using a canvas ribbing) that I came across months ago,, but after going through his Instagram, I can't seem to find it. This thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii/19320#post_7360517) seems to discuss it quite a bit, though you'll have to read a couple of pages.

It definitely seems odd to go through all of this for a basic resole if the midsole doesn't need to be replaced. I wonder why he doesn't keep the stitch-down construction.

11. ScuffedBluchers

ScuffedBluchers Senior Member

I might disagree (still learning a lot). My CXL boots were kinda dry when I got them, and a coat of VSC really brought them to life. I know you're not supposed to over treat them, but what is the harm in topping them off before you head out the first time. Especially when you're going to wear them in Chicago during winter?

12. ScuffedBluchers

Also will shiny gold-colored brass eyelets tarnish, eventually?

hopefully?

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

My CXL derby did not have them either so that was what gave me pause

14. mooose

mooose Active Member

my mr porter natural cxl service boots did not come with Venetian shoe cream either, maybe they didn't include it to reduce the price?

15. ScuffedBluchers

Who's hoarding the cream!?