Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ScuffedBluchers

ScuffedBluchers Senior member

I wonder why mine were shipped Expedited Parcel[​IMG]... 4-10 business days?

2. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

It's unfortunate that sizing is so confusing. Making matters that much more difficult - it's different for different people. But in general, you would size the same in all the lasts. Some people can get away with a half size down in the 110, but it really comes down to a length issue. I tried it and my toes touched the tip of the boot, but the extra width prevented it from being uncomfortable. I ended up selling those boots and went with my regular size because who wants their toes touching the end of the boot? Plus, I had to wear thinner socks, which I didn't want to be forced to do all the time.

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

The 110 is definitely wide in the vamp and toebox, but seems to me to be very wide in the heel area. I would size down a half size from your redwings probably.

4. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Excellent, thanks!

5. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I would like to purchase my first pair of Viberg boots and I put in a vote for the olive chromepak boots. But since it may be awhile until they come around, I am considering the Viberg Matte Black Calf boots below....I do want a pair of black boots and find the Matte a different look...I know that many of you here are not emamored with a leather sole but being that I'm living in south florida, I won't have to trudge through ice and snow so the leather sole isn't a detriment(and I have a pair of scotchgrain boots with dainite for rainy times). Although I wouldn't have minded a different finish on the outside of the sole leather...

I'd appreciate the opinions of the folks here who know their Viberg boots and boots leather so well. This might be a ridiculous question but is giving calf leather a matte finish a disservice to the leather? Perhaps lessening it's esthetic value? I'm not super knowledgeable about boots so at $700+ I just want to be comfortable with my decision....Any thoughts you'd care to share would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

I think it really comes down to personal preference. You'll get a wide array of opinions here, but in the end it comes down to your own personal aesthetic. Matte leather tends to be a bit more casual of a look, but it can be dressed up or down depending on what else you're wearing. The leather sole also lends itself to a more elegant look, despite the matte leather. If you wanted a more casual look, you could order these on the SF pre-order page, but they won't be available as quickly as the one you show in the photo:

[​IMG]

You could also take it a step further and get something like this - which is an even more casual and rugged look and currently available:

[​IMG]

Whatever you decide, I don't think you can go wrong. Viberg makes an incredible product and I have yet to be disappointed with any that I've purchased.

7. metranger8694

Thanks for your thoughtful reply...

I am looking for a boot that will be worn almost exclusively as casual(denim, chinos and cords) but could be dressed up with wool slacks...I'd like to avoid a captoe as I'm hoping that the chromepak gets made.

I am feeling better about the Matte but am curious of others thoughts...Maybe some here are wearing these?

8. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

The chromepak is going to have a brogued cap-toe.

9. metranger8694

Yes, I know. What I should have said is that I am avoiding a captoe in a black boot because the chromepak will have one.

Thanks for your reply.

10. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I generally like a more standard leather, but I have to admit that this matte looks good. Otherwise you could check on the black calf at Brooklyn Clothing Co, which looks great, though it has a toecap...

11. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

Generally speaking those Matte black will not go well with dress slacks. You're trying to have the boot be all to all. If casual is the aim, then they'll be fine.

12. metranger8694

I'm alright withthat. Guess I can't always have it all..Would the olive chromepaks work with dress slacks?
    Thanks!

13. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

Just to add to Lifeinabox, you also need to consider the last: nearly all of Viberg's lasts are too bulky to really 'dress up'. The 2030 in cordovan would perhaps do the job for dress slacks, but I can think of little else.

14. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

This. Even the 2030 is wide and beefy looking. It would be hard to pass them off as dress boots.

15. meso

meso Senior member

Not sure I agree that the profile of the 2030 last qualifies as "beefy." A lot of guys here dress up 2030 last boots with slacks. Looks fine. 110 and 310 last less so.

That said, Viberg boots are not "dress boots" in the same way as edward green or carmina.

And yeah, a matte (nubuck?) black will look fairly ridiculous worn with dress slacks.

If you want a cheaper alternative check out Dayton service boots in Nubuck. The company seems (?) to have bounced back at least to the point they are producing reasonably quality product again.