• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong. These are my perfect version of a Blue Collar ****-kicker. Great weekend/bar boots. I'm just surprised at the dye fading since I'm not really putting any wear and tear on them myself. I keep them in a dark closet when I'm not wearing them as well, so it's not like they're fading in the sun.

Admittedly a little strange, but people pay a premium to get that worn look and you got it with little effort! Call me crazy, but I love that vintage look. I wouldn't do a thing to those (except admire them daily)!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks to me like you are rubbing the heel against the leg of a chair. This can allen frequently if you sit at a desk for prolonged periods and i inadvertently rub against your chair

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
lol, sucks (financially) finding out about Vibergs. Getting a taste with your first pair ... then finding yourself seeking out more.
I'm done after this till I blow through this pair. Part of the reason I took so long to choose is because I knew I'd be stuck with them.

Skell6009

Reaction score
Well this is interesting...

From Palmer Trading Company's Instagram: PTC x @vibergboot BAD SEED BOOT in black waxed flesh with ten nickel eyelets #blackonblack #allblackeverything #viberg #palmertrading #menswear #stylecouncil #nickcave LIVE ON OUR WEBSTORE TOMORROW 1:00 pm EST

But when you look closer into it... It's a photo that's been intentionally desaturated to appear all black and grey.

The truth? They're releasing two makeups, the "Bad Seed" and "The Creeper" — and neither of them are fully black (meaning dyed-through leather or black leather midsoles apart from the Vibram one).

Interesting as they are, it's a ****** move to mislead and build up customer anticipation that way.
I went to their store to check them out. Here are the sample boots.
http://imgur.com/a/duahR

The service boot is missing the pinking around the toe cap which I have not seen on any other Viberg boot.

The scout boot is pretty much as will be released but the midsole will be painted black. I assume the same for the service boot considering their photoshopping.

I was also somewhat unimpressed by the black waxed flesh. It was smoother and had more of a matte finish compared to my brown waxed flesh boots. And I'm not sure the natural roughout contrasting with the black wax and oils will look good after it has taken a beating.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like you are rubbing the heel against the leg of a chair. This can allen frequently if you sit at a desk for prolonged periods and i inadvertently rub against your chair

Maybe that would explain the heel. But not the fading away over the ankle and instep.

I shall dub these the Barroom Brawler
2122.png
boots, since the GTMO never took off.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to their store to check them out. Here are the sample boots.
http://imgur.com/a/duahR

The service boot is missing the pinking around the toe cap which I have not seen on any other Viberg boot.

The scout boot is pretty much as will be released but the midsole will be painted black. I assume the same for the service boot considering their photoshopping.

I was also somewhat unimpressed by the black waxed flesh. It was smoother and had more of a matte finish compared to my brown waxed flesh boots. And I'm not sure the natural roughout contrasting with the black wax and oils will look good after it has taken a beating.

hey, thanks for sharing this info with us. Yeah, gotta say, not feeling the boots in your pics. Was wondering how a black waxed flesh may evolve and I think you summed up my fears as well.

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
How in the world are you people keeping your boots so ... unblemished?

The are my 3Sixteen Stealths bought the day they came out and worn MAYBE twice a week 4-5 hours indoors max each time. At the rate they're fading, they'll be natural CXL before the SF GTMO orders are even available...

Why not hit them with some shoe polish and conditioner? That's the start of a bad-ass patina, but they look tired as they are.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not hit them with some shoe polish and conditioner? That's the start of a bad-ass patina, but they look tired as they are.

Honestly, I don't know how. Have the bottle of Venetian something-or-other sitting in my closet. But I don't own a special hair brush or polishing cloth or whatnot. I'm an au naturel kinda guy.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I don't know how. Have the bottle of Venetian something-or-other sitting in my closet. But I don't own a special hair brush or polishing cloth or whatnot. I'm an au naturel kinda guy.

You won't regret spending $50 on quality shoe cream and a horsehair brush to take care of your $800 boots.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You won't regret spending $50 on quality shoe cream and a horsehair brush to take care of your $800 boots.

This. There is a difference between patina and neglect

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. There is a difference between patina and neglect

No doubt, but in this case it's hard to call it neglect when the boots look like this after a few weeks. I mean, I agree that they look very cool, but honestly that's what you want your boots to look like after 5 or 6 years, not 5 or 6 weeks. I have to think this is a badly dyed batch of CXL; especially in comparison with those other black boots above.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I really should be, and I do for all of my dress shoes, but I've yet to use trees on these. Do you guys use trees with your service boots?

No, not usually. I was just trying to figure out the lack of creasing in the toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads