Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I LOVE THESE. Sucks that apparently my size is one of the more popular ones and unavailable. Goddammit.

Thanks, man. Maybe a restock or you'll be able to get something similar on one of the future GMTOs. (instead of the GSK??)

2. dsthompson

dsthompson Well-Known Member

Gorgeous boots? Are these CXL?

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Yes, iced mocha CXL

4. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

If you look at it from a different angle the shade changes- i.e., dark to light and vice versa.

5. Seacrest

Seacrest Well-Known Member

Had great experience with the guys at BCC. Got my boots within 2 days of ordering.

Talked to them today and they said they'd have a restock on the Olive & Black calf service boots online by tomorrow!

6. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Would the consensus be that Viberg does a better job at clicking than alden does with chromexcel? A lot of the Chromexcel I've seen from Alden lately has loose grain creasing. Debating towards this Leffot pre-order tomorrow.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I would say that the clicking is about on par. However, from my experience the CXL that Viberg uses is roughly twice the thickness of Alden's

8. ScuffedBluchers

ScuffedBluchers Senior member

Chromepack is just CXL with more oil stuffed into it, right? Does that mean scuffs buff out of it more easily, and or that it's more durable?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

9. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

Viberg might be a hair better or the volume Alden does might throw things off. They're probably even. Thicker CXL leads to more break/loose grain. See the Horween screed on CXL where they say any break/loose grain is business as usual.

Yo dog, I heard you like leather, so I stuffed leather in your leather so you can boot while you boot.

10. sklark23

sklark23 Senior member

They are both pull-up leathers but are quite different. It really isn't more stuffed CXL. They have different feels, are tanned differently (afaik Chromepak is straight chrome tanned), are dyed differently, etc.

Chromepak is hard to describe, it is super oily when you first get it, it eventually goes away, it is an insane pull-up, and feels like it could last forever. you should really order a pair of quoddies and feel the tag.

11. ScuffedBluchers

ScuffedBluchers Senior member

Insane pull-up means easier to scuff that CXL? I'm just trying to assess durability when deciding between CXL and the Chromer.

12. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I must have a Viberg boot, and I'm looking at some upcoming options.

I'd like some opinions on black CXL vs waxed flesh.

I already have natural and brown CXL Aldens, and I like the material, but it's seems not particularly tough. It scuffs very easily and stretches something fierce.

I've never seen or felt Horween's 'waxed flesh' which is flesh-side-out with heavy waxing.

Opine, please.

13. Skell6009

Skell6009 Senior member

I actually just took these pics of my brown waxed flesh service boots for r/goodyearwelt.

About 1-2 months wear: http://imgur.com/a/n3eI2

And this is when they were brand new: http://imgur.com/a/YTEgF

I absolutely love the leather. I think it fits the workwear boot style perfectly because it shows wear so easily. You don't really need to worry about some of the drawbacks of CXL's grain side with the waxed flesh.

14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Thanks, Skell. Do you feel like the waxed flesh is more tough/durable than cxl?

15. Skell6009

Skell6009 Senior member

Well, like you mentioned, it is CXL but with oils and waxes sealed on the roughout side instead of the grain side. But I've only had the boots for a little over a month so I can't really attest to its long term durability.

However, I will say that I've had a few instances where I've hit something with my foot and I looked down at my boot expecting a big mark but absolutely nothing happened. The waxed flesh does a good job of taking scuffs.