Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. skeptical jesus

skeptical jesus Senior member

I emailed requesting clarification on those two very points, as well as whether the prices were listed in USD or CAD. I'm pretty sure its USD, but they don't actually specify and they're a canadia-based shop, so it was worth clarifying.

2. Seacrest

Seacrest Well-Known Member

Has to be in American prices due to Vibergs request. Otherwise they'd be plenty cheaper than Viberg themselves.

3. skeptical jesus

I figured as much.

FWIW, here's the reply I got from Brooklyn Clothing Co:

Quote:

Clearly the person handling their CS doesn't know what a brogued captoe is, but I do gather that the picture is accurate, rather than the description.

4. Seacrest

Seacrest Well-Known Member

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

6. skeptical jesus

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

The confusion regarding the new listings, particularly the brown CXL heel description. The "heel" is actually an Itshide Commando heel, as is the sole. Viberg sometimes uses Itshide instead of Dainite depending on what they have in stock.

8. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

Is there a difference between 6 vs #6? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

9. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

Also, it looks like size 6 covers a considerable amount of the heel. I tried a cobbler who used smaller ones to cover just the outer corner of the heel. Anyone know the pros and cons to either approach?

10. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

Here is a chart showing the difference in heel plate sizes. #6 is on the top right, 6A is just below it. 6 covers a wider area, while 6A covers a broader area. I have found from experience that 6 works better in covering the area of most wear...the back and corner of the heel. 6A doesn't reach as far from side to side, even though it covers a larger footprint.

[​IMG]

11. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

The 6 covers the right amount of heel on the back area where it wears down the most. I have found that the smaller ones don't cover as much and wear tends to overshoot the guard. Some cobblers use smaller ones because they don't have any of the 6 type in stock or they never carried them to begin with. I buy 6's by the box (100 pcs) and put them on myself. When they start to wear too low, I swap them out. I can keep the original heel in good shape for a decade or longer this way. Here are some photos showing the difference between the 6 and 6A. Here is the 6:

[​IMG]

Notice how it covers the rear area perfectly. These are well suited guards for boot heels. This next photo is of a 6A on top of a 6. Notice how the 6 below it extends beyond the 6A:

[​IMG]

The 6A covers a deeper area, but that forward area is not the area that wears most on heels. Much better to have the back part covered. It's such a simple little piece of plastic, but it does it's job well and it saves me from having to visit the cobbler or send my boots back to have the heels replaced constantly.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

12. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

13. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

I asked for nails and they were included, but it depends on where you order them from I suppose. I don't love the nails they came with - they are more like tack nails and the heads are oddly shaped so they don't fit all that nicely in the nail recesses on the guard. I'll probably buy some small ones from the hardware store that will slot in better. Though I suppose it really doesn't matter that much - they do the job. These guards also have an adhesive tape on them which helps keep them in place in conjunction with the nails.

I had the topy done professionally. I wish I was that good.

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Although I am trying to thin out my boot collection, I have been waiting for this boot ever since Guy mentioned it a few months ago, so I couldn't resist. Now I will have to pick another pair of boots to get rid of.

I have this strange attraction to some of the Italian baller type boots by Guidi/Carpe Diem, etc. This boot is about the closest I could get myself to buying a baller boot. And my first pair of black footwear! Pretty excited.

[​IMG]

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Very cool! Look forward to seeing some real world pics