1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior Member

LOL, I know what you mean - Sears c. 1985 conjures up some vivid images! More like post-traumatic flashbacks! But if you add some real life creases, I think it will be totally fine.

2. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior Member

[​IMG]

Not sure why all the CXL hate. This is not the best pic, but these are Service Boots in Icy Mocha CXL, 310 last, and the leather is bomber. Scuffs buff out easily. I wear these 3 days a week for 8 hours a day. 18 months old in this pic, and they are lined.

3. Arizor

Arizor Senior Member

Look great, nothing wrong with CXL.

4. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior Member

There's CXL hate because there's a lot of people who don't understand much about leather; they see all of these cheaply-made shoes from OSB, Wolverine, et al., and they don't understand that the prevalence of loose-grain creasing and other issues would happen with any cheap cowhide that they use. It just so happens that CXL is popular, and everyone's using it.

5. Aviv

Aviv Senior Member

Wait so are you saying CXL is cheap?

6. titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852 Senior Member

Do you sit at an office chair? If you do it could very well be due to your heels scraping on the wheels (in particular the little wheel housings) of the chair. Happened to me with my OSB trenches. Regardless, I did not know that black CXL does that when it gets abraded, can't say I dig that compared to natural CXL. Nice boots nonetheless.

7. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Climbinglife, those boots are sick.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

8. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior Member

I don't think he's saying that CXL is cheap, just that it's so popular now-a-days, even some of the cheaper not so well made brands are using it - which doesn't always portray it in the most favorable light.

9. Trapp

OSB as in Oak Street Bootmakers? And Wolverine? Strange to see these two cited as cheaply made. They might not be Viberg's but they aren't exactly mall trash. In either case the CXL leather they are using is the same or very similar to Viberg.

10. Trapp

I'm quite sure Wolverine was using CXL on their 1000 mile boots long before Viberg jumped on the CXL bandwagon.

11. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior Member

This is certainly true! Though I think I understood what he was trying to say. I also don't think there is really CXL hate going on here. Certain leathers have certain characteristics. I love CXL sometimes (as in the case of the OP with the rubbed heal area), yet I'm not always a huge fan of the pull-up look. I guess it really just depends on the boot or shoe.

12. Trapp

As far as I can tell, it was Alden (especially a few particular collabs about seven years ago - Context Clothing's 'Roy Boots' and LeatherSoul's 'Ultimate Indies') and Wolverine that really made CXL leather popular. Viberg is hardly a pioneer in using that leather.

13. Trapp

Exactly. CXL in the past few years has almost become the default leather. I still think it's a fantastic leather, but it's reputation is inflated. There are tons of wonderful leathers and the pull-up isn't always the best choice. It's hard to understand why someone would purchase a CXL boot if they aren't actually looking for that rubbed / scuffed look. That is what that particular leather is all about.

14. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior Member

This is one of my favorite examples of CXL...I get to have it where I like it to wear the most and rough out where I would normally not prefer the pull-up characteristic. Not that I don't have full CXL boots as well, but this really fires on all cylinders for me:

[​IMG]

15. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior Member

Totally. Though they probably aren't aware of how it will age. It was a bit of a rude awakening on my first pair of CXL boots...some Alden Indys. I was so disappointed until I figured out how to make it work to my advantage (by letting it just get worse and worse until it became fantastic!).