Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

For anyone that's interested, I've put together an album comparing some of the lasts (1035, 2030, and 2045) as well as Alden(Trubalance and Barrie) from the side and top.

http://imgur.com/a/seEIl

2. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I would consider if you sit at a desk and subconsciously rub your heel on one of the legs or similar. I found myself doing that at work and scuffed up some shoes. I changed my habit as soon as I realized what it was.

3. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

Agreeing with others that it's mostly likely rubbing your heels against chair legs, I've had quite similar wear patterns.

Thanks for posting that up Diabolical, very handy!

4. meso

meso Senior member

Well, I'm not sure what percentage of full-grain leather sold now is a pull-up variety like CXL, but it has to be a high percentage at this point, because most people find the effect pleasing. Even non pull-up varieties have different roughout/edges than their surface.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior member

What?

[​IMG]

6. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

Discounting all calf and dress shoe leathers, are we?

7. Aviv

Aviv Senior member

While on the topic of leather- does anyone know anything about the latigo Viberg uses? Like on their tan derby boots? Is that calf?

8. meso

meso Senior member

I see different tones in the center of the leathers than the finished surface for most of the leathers in the picture you posted, to different degrees. It's most noticeable on the darker leathers, for obvious reasons. Some manufacturers also dye or finish the edges (the Trickers I've owned, for example) to be more aesthetically pleasing.
    The question was floated if unfinished edges having a contrast with the finished surface was symptomatic of CXL. It's not, although it's most noticeable on pull-up leathers, of which CXL is one type. If you like you can take a look at a partial list of all the Horween leathers to see the different processes... http://horween.com/leathers/full-tannage-list/

9. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

Actually, this was what I was referring to, not your made up question.

10. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the wear on the heels is chair-leg wear; I see that a lot on my own shoes. Especially if you sit in a roller chair, the wheels can occasionally give a good consistent rub to the inner heel. I personally think it's fine, but since you're not keen on it, have you tried giving the leather a good horsehair brushing? That should bring the oils up to the surface and blend the marks. With boots that see such gentle wear as you describe, the contrast between the rubbed area and the rest of the boots will look extreme - like new shoes with a local flaw. I bet as the rest of the boot breaks in, and if you keep brushing the boots occasionally (all of the boot) - the wear pattern will become more uniform and, perhaps, pleasing.

11. Understatesman

No. No it wasn't floated.

12. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

That's cool - thanks for sharing that. The various lasts are a bit mysterious if you aren't familiar with them.

13. Raneleigh

Raneleigh Senior member

I actually really like that look. I'll take a well worn and rugged look any day!

14. meso

meso Senior member

Oy... whatever. It's a discussion board.
    Lots of misinformation lately about CXL.
    Just trying to correct that.

15. Understatesman

Oh, don't get me wrong. I prefer that look too. But like my boots, for example, they just have that superficial dye reveal going on and pretty much no creasing or wear to the actual leather itself, Toebox is still in pristine shape. So it almost looks fake, in a way. Like buying distressed denim from Sears back in the 80s.