• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg x 3Sixteen Andrew Stealth Service Boot broken in (kind of)

I wear these maybe once or twice a week max and for only about 3-4 hours since I work from home. Admittedly, I'm not a very active guy. But I wanted to show how these wear (I love seeing worn-in boots). I'm surprised to be honest. This is simply "wear" from apparently my pants cuff rubbing against the boot — actually come to think of it, maybe not because they don't drape over the heel that low... Anyway, it's very superficially dyed. And to be honest, this is why I'm leaning towards a calf skin version of it ( to retain the color, but gain the creasing). I mean, I don't even have any bends in the leather, yet the color is rubbing away...

Oh well, I'll keep them as my "do anything" boots for traveling and if I decide to ever be active one day. Hopefully I can get my hands on some calf skin soon.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking good. How are you getting that wear on the heel counter?

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good. How are you getting that wear on the heel counter?

No clue. Maybe when they sometimes roll onto the side when I drop them onto the wooden floor of my closet?

Last edited:

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
I don't think they are looking good at all, depending on how some leather treatment restores that scuff mark. The rest of the boot is looking good, but that heel... I'll bite my tongue. I wish more CXL boot owners would post pictures of their boots. Is this exceptional? or the norm?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg x 3Sixteen Andrew Stealth Service Boot broken in (kind of)

I wear these maybe once or twice a week max and for only about 3-4 hours since I work from home. Admittedly, I'm not a very active guy. But I wanted to show how these wear (I love seeing worn-in boots). I'm surprised to be honest. This is simply "wear" from apparently my pants cuff rubbing against the boot — actually come to think of it, maybe not because they don't drape over the heel that low... Anyway, it's very superficially dyed. And to be honest, this is why I'm leaning towards a calf skin version of it ( to retain the color, but gain the creasing). I mean, I don't even have any bends in the leather, yet the color is rubbing away...

Oh well, I'll keep them as my "do anything" boots for traveling and if I decide to ever be active one day. Hopefully I can get my hands on some calf skin soon.

I actually really like that look. Very nice.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps, it looks like it's caused from continuously aggravating the leather. It actually looks pretty cool to see the exposed brown/tan leather. This use to happen to my boots and I couldn't figure out what was causing it until it dawned at me that I was rubbing the heels against the legs of my work chair

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another theory could be that when I take them off, I put them side by side holding onto both pairs by the ankle leather as I carry them to my closet. Maybe the heels rub against each other in this position?

Like this pic. Which, btw, is what I want next (calf). Look at the subtle creasing. Definitely a good looking, gentlemanly yet rugged boot.

Last edited:

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish more CXL boot owners would post pictures of their boots. Is this exceptional? or the norm?

I totally agree — but I don't think exceptional is the word. Exception? But I fear it is the norm. I've owned another CXL pair, but ended up selling early on Ebay because I didn't like the look of the exposed natural CXL edging (it was just too contrasty and made them look like KMart boots). Then bought a pair of MTO black oil tan boots to avoid that, but ended up giving them to my brother upon arrival when the Stealth boots became available at the same time. So I really only have experience with this pair.

Last edited:

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I don't think they are looking good at all, depending on how some leather treatment restores that scuff mark. The rest of the boot is looking good, but that heel... I'll bite my tongue. I wish more CXL boot owners would post pictures of their boots. Is this exceptional? or the norm?
It's exceptional. I've worn mine nearly every day for six or seven months, and then alternated it with other stuff thereafter, and mine aren't nearly as worn in.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't like the look of the exposed natural CXL edging (it was just too contrasty and made them look like KMart boots).

I think you're confused about what CXL is. Edging around the sole is never CXL leather because it has to be more durable. Chromexcel is used for uppers.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're confused about what CXL is. Edging around the sole is never CXL leather because it has to be more durable. Chromexcel is used for uppers.

I think you're the one who's confused. Who mentioned anything about the sole? I said "edging" meaning the exposed edges of the CXL leather stitched together to make the upper.

Like this pic.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. I don't think that's characteristic only of CXL but most leather.

Edging refers to the edge of the sole of the boot. Which can be left natural or dyed brown/black.

But I get what you mean now at least.

Last edited:

rutabaga

Reaction score
CXL is not dyed through, which is not a characteristic of "most" leather.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, CXL scuffs easily, but that definitely seems excessive. I think anyone would be disappointed in that. I mean, even if you like your boots to evo quickly, that's a bit much.

As far as what's causing it, it looks like the scuffing you get from my heels slightly brushing when you walk, even when you don't know you're doing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads