• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

asininetime

Reaction score
Sorry there is more info in the album link. The boot was described as:
"Service Boot – Brown Horse Butt, Brogue Toe Cap, Dainite Sole, Unstructured Toe, 2040 Last, Size 9, Flaw on Left Toe"

I had assumed from the picture that the flaw on the left toe meant the wrinkling. The gashes and cuts were hidden based on the angle of the shot. The toe wrinkling is obvious to me, but I felt they were hiding the other problems.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thats tough, i dont know why viberg would sell it to begin with and then not add better pics. that pair went for $700? if youre a seller, thats just asking for trouble imo. maybe they think horsebutt is really strong and this wont affect the longevity of the boot?

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough call. It was priced pretty high, but flaw was noted.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's really bad flaw. They shouldn't have sold that pair at $700.

Agreed. The description should've been better. And with boots like that something like half price would've been fair, which would make them around $400.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thats tough, i dont know why viberg would sell it to begin with and then not add better pics. that pair went for $700? if youre a seller, thats just asking for trouble imo. maybe they think horsebutt is really strong and this wont affect the longevity of the boot?

The whole point of the sample sale is to avoid the hassle of sale through regular channels.
I agree tho that $700 was too high for that pair... for $350 I wouldn't be mad tho...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The whole point of the sample sale is to avoid the hassle of sale through regular channels.
I agree tho that $700 was too high for that pair... for $350 I wouldn't be mad tho...

this might sound ignorant, but from my experience if a pair is sold for $700, just a small fraction lower than retail, i would expect a much smaller blemish. a blemish so insignificant that no extra pictures are required. one extra pic was all they needed. i mean youve sold, you just want to cover your bases why open a can of worms. maybe my asshole is just sensitive with my run-ins with paypal. i dunno

Last edited:

involutio

Reaction score
Its a shame to see how a traditional family business is on a way to demolition itself. At least in my opinion!
Probably they should not want to grow that fast?
The Hiker 66 is the example in prices itself!
Sorry!
I really like their shoes and sense of style!
And if I had not the extra dollars I never would be in the mood to pay for a service boot 1200 USD (Naty Shell) in 2014 and be aware that I had to pay about 360 CND for their Hiker 66 in 2009. Where is the real worth??? Just the fashion factor?
Please excuse my bad English! But thats like a bad hype at all!

Best

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its a shame to see how a traditional family business is on a way to demolition itself.

One pair of overpriced boots in a sample sale means they're in "on way to demolition"?
Righttttt....

im eddie

Reaction score
Considering specific boots on their site are sold out you can expect them to increase the price just by the demand factor. Not only that, but I see an increasing amount of collaborations, and I assume some people will tire of waiting for Viberg to restock boots themselves and chose to purchase from a collaborating boutique. Looking at the prices for Viberg collaborations like Tate and Yoko which are priced at almost 800 USD for a service boot in moose leather one can expect the price from Viberg to steadily increase as they become more recognized and demand outweighs supply. It's almost end of season and you can look at stockist supply of the boots and they are selling out on most sizes in most styles. Why wouldn't they increase price?

If Viberg was still priced as they were in 2009 all their boots would be sold out in no time considering today's demand for their boots. Its nothing to assume a demolition of a company by, but instead one can expect the company to reveal the integrity to it's roots. If Viberg starts to cut quality to meet demands for quantity then you can call it a demolition. Maybe these sample sales are a sign of a decline in quality to meet demand. Obviously the samples are not meant as ideal products, but as samples of what you get. However, to price damaged or defected boots as they would for ideal boots can be worrying in terms of what we should expect in quality from Viberg.

asininetime

Reaction score
Some of the shoes had descriptions that were much more specific saying there were errors in stitching, glue, marks, etc. By using the word "flaw" I had incorrectly assumed it to be variations/creasing in the leather around the toe as seen in their picture. I still think it was disingenuous to portray it as such and to have a picture that actually covers the area with the gash really is tough to swallow even if it is just a sample.

I sent an email out to Viberg and I'll see what they say. I'm hoping they'll be open to admitting a mistake.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Considering specific boots on their site are sold out you can expect them to increase the price just by the demand factor. Not only that, but I see an increasing amount of collaborations, and I assume some people will tire of waiting for Viberg to restock boots themselves and chose to purchase from a collaborating boutique. Looking at the prices for Viberg collaborations like Tate and Yoko which are priced at almost 800 USD for a service boot in moose leather one can expect the price from Viberg to steadily increase as they become more recognized and demand outweighs supply. It's almost end of season and you can look at stockist supply of the boots and they are selling out on most sizes in most styles. Why wouldn't they increase price?

If Viberg was still priced as they were in 2009 all their boots would be sold out in no time considering today's demand for their boots. Its nothing to assume a demolition of a company by, but instead one can expect the company to reveal the integrity to it's roots. If Viberg starts to cut quality to meet demands for quantity then you can call it a demolition. Maybe these sample sales are a sign of a decline in quality to meet demand. Obviously the samples are not meant as ideal products, but as samples of what you get. However, to price damaged or defected boots as they would for ideal boots can be worrying in terms of what we should expect in quality from Viberg.

I think I have said this before, but there's a choking point for every product, where price and demand intercepts and beyond this demand will decrease as the target audience can't afford the product any longer, which will lead to a drop in sales and require a larger margin to make the same money as they would sell a bunch of units at a lower price.

Viberg is riiiight at that point currently any higher and they will see a drastic change, in my opinion.

Diabolical

Reaction score

Tate + Yoko is priced in Canadian dollars.

Samples are made to test out new leathers and designs. I doubt the same standards of quality control are placed on these samples.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this might sound ignorant, but from my experience if a pair is sold for $700, just a small fraction lower than retail, i would expect a much smaller blemish. a blemish so insignificant that no extra pictures are required. one extra pic was all they needed. i mean youve sold, you just want to cover your bases why open a can of worms. maybe my asshole is just sensitive with my run-ins with paypal. i dunno

Maybe my last post wasn't clear... I agree with you.

Although these armchair critiques freaking out over a SAMPLE SALE are a little tiresome.

I mean, have you guys ever been to an actual sample sale? It's kind of mayhem.

cj610

Reaction score

I think I have said this before, but there's a choking point for every product, where price and demand intercepts and beyond this demand will decrease as the target audience can't afford the product any longer, which will lead to a drop in sales and require a larger margin to make the same money as they would sell a bunch of units at a lower price.

Viberg is riiiight at that point currently any higher and they will see a drastic change, in my opinion.

Agree. It shouldn't be overlooked however that the sample sale was for seconds and most priced pretty close to retail. We still took down their website within moments and then all waited 15 minutes for the ensuing bloodbath. They're probably feeling pretty good at their price point...................

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads