1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

If you were an owner of a business, would you blatantly ignore customers not being helped? Basically what Brett and Glen did. Who cares what the regular experience is and who cares if they were too hungry and wanted lunch. There has to be a certain level of accountability and responsibility from the very top and in that case, they did not show it. Which is why it's unsurprising that they will ignore emails, blame their own customers and business partners for their own faults (wink wink). It's just the company culture they have in place. It all starts from the top.

Check this out here on the some recent color 8 shell cordovan vibergs: http://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...rvice_boot_in_colour_8_shell_cordovan/cmx9koq

two of them complaining of the same issues. For $1100, I would think twice about buying it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. westie187

westie187 Senior member

So, your opinion is that we should write off Viberg Boot based on two comments off of a Reddit thread, and someone else's story about their brother having a shitty experience in person, at their shop? That's your case?
    Am I understanding you correctly?

You need a hobby. Seriously.

3. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Yeah, cause that's exactly what I said.

Have a discussion with me in a respectful manner and understand what I am saying from a holistic point of view instead of pulling little bits of what I am saying, ignoring my body of posts here, and only using those bits of some of my posts to present what I've said in an inaccurate fashion to try and make me look silly or whatever your goal is.

If you continue doing that, I won't engage you. People who aren't complete fanboys can tell what's up.

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Again, Viberg does not have a storefront. It's a shop where they are busy making shoes and boots. Given your comment that 2-3 days is a long time to ship, you clearly have zero experience running a business.

Also, none of my Vibergs have loose stitching or toe puckering, so please don't universalize your limited personal experience.

Your massive intake of reddit clearly has not prepared you to contribute here without being made to look foolish.

5. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

"Have a discussion with us in a respectful manner and understand what others are saying from a holistic point of view instead of pulling little bits off reddit, ignoring the body of posts here, and only using those bits of some of those posts that support your skewed opinion in an inaccurate fashion to try and discredit Viberg."

Fixed it for you. Goose, gander.

6. StarkReality

StarkReality Member

Sounds like the issue is with horween sending poor quality shell out to me.

7. westie187

westie187 Senior member

"Have a discussion with me in a respectful manner and understand what I am saying from a holistic point of view instead of pulling little bits of what I am saying, ignoring my body of posts here, and only using those bits of some of my posts to present what I've said in an inaccurate fashion to try and make me look silly or whatever your goal is.

If you continue doing that, I won't engage you. People who aren't complete fanboys can tell what's up."

Have a point in your posts, and I'll engage you in a respectful manner. Also: stop doing the very thing you're accusing me of:

using those bits of some of Reddit posts and someone else's story to present what I've said in an inaccurate fashion

People might respect you all the more. Just a thought, Carmina fanboy.

8. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

No, you can go in there to buy work or fashion boots. Yes the factory is there but you can also go there to buy boots.

You keep pulling excuses, but the fact is that if the owner ignores a customer not being helped, he's not doing a good job representing his company and name.

"Given your comment that 2-3 days is a long time to ship, you clearly have zero experience running a business."

Yep, instead of deconstructing what I've said, you attack me. No need for attacking me personally. I've bought plenty of stuff online, and there are a good number of retailers that ship within 24 hours. I consider this a standard all businesses should strive for. And when you are probably only selling 5 shoes a day on average, you SHOULD ship within 24 hours.

Ok, none of your Vibergs, bla bla bla. The fact is they only make about 10,000 shoes a year. And between reddit and styleforum, there's an alarming set of issues posted here that aren't even present in $200 shoes, and that's not even taking into account their poor customer service. And these are people who have the courage to post about their issues. On that reddit thread, I believe it was the leffot color 8 boots. How many were produced? 15-20? Even if 2 or 4 out of 25 have issues, that's pretty ridiculous, IMO, especially for such a small run.

Limited experience? I don't talk about what I own but I've owned more than 5 vibergs, and in fact, recently sold two of them here. And why are you attacking Reddit? Reddit is just an online community and many of the regular posters in this thread also post on reddit. I don't see the point of you attacking it.

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

10. westie187

westie187 Senior member

11. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

If it's poor quality, they shouldn't use it.

I doubt it though. You never see anyone complaining about poor quality shell from C&J, Carmina, A&E, and they all use horween.

12. StarkReality

StarkReality Member

Isnt shell expensive and don't those companies use acrylic to finish their shell?

13. MonotovsOpera

MonotovsOpera Well-Known Member

@Omert4 , please stop. You're embarrasing another community by being such a poor example and pitting communities against each other.

If you're looking for great finishing, Viberg is probably not whom you want to be looking at. They make great footwear, but it is distinctly streetwear and workwear oriented, which is very dissimilar to Carmina, Crockett & Jones, or other dress footwear manufacturers. Vibergs strengths lie in interesting and robust materials, a highly robust construction, and some very unique lasts. Dress footwear manufacturers specialize in excellent finishing and very aesthetically pleasing footwear. The materials quality is not quite there with Viberg. Apples and oranges, really. Expecting perfect finishing of a Viberg boot is being unreasonable and, if that's what you want, you should probably look elsewhere. If you want something like what Viberg makes (a highly robust, stitchdown boot), there's nothing better on the market.

Regarding dry spots on shell, that is something that happens with just about everyone, including Carmina, Crockett & Jones, Allen Edmonds, etc etc. The only exception seems to be Alden.

To those of you bashing reddit and goodyearwelt, I'd urge you to check it out with an open mind. It's a good community.

1 person likes this.
  14. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

I believe some think Alden uses acrylic, iirc. It's never been proven, though.

I believe some companies might apply a finish to their shell, not sure exactly what though, and I am guessing that's why shell from other companies have a better finish...

15. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

That's pretty much what I said. They use high quality materials and have a robust construction. I do think at the price point, Viberg should be concerned with great finishing.

16. StarkReality

StarkReality Member

So you're saying that shell directly from horween will probably show these issues unless they finish it themselves?

17. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

Maybe. That's just conjecture on my part. It could also be poor clicking. Some leather workers that work with Horween shell could probably give you a better answer.

18. StarkReality

StarkReality Member

Maybe someone has better info but I thought you can make only one boot from one shell? How much room for cutting good pieces do you have?

19. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

DWFII might be able to answer that question for us. PM him and see if he'd be willing to contribute here.

20. westie187

westie187 Senior member

"Maybe. That's just conjecture on my part."

"Some leather workers that work with Horween shell could probably give you a better answer."

I finally agree with something you've said.