• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, ryden, you need to put some wear on them boots! Mine are way more scuffed than yours.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics @Raneleigh they both look great. Do the 110 boondockers you bought from sample sale have a (partially) structured toe? If not, I believe that the toe will eventually collapse and start to look more like the 1035 boondockers.

Thanks. Yes, that's correct...the 110's from the sample sale have a partially structured toe, which I actually prefer on these.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why are Viberg boots so expensive? the brown CXL boots they have on their website retail for $700 which is close to the price of shell cordovan shoes/boots from other companies. am I missing something here?

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why are Viberg boots so expensive? the brown CXL boots they have on their website retail for $700 which is close to the price of shell cordovan shoes/boots from other companies. am I missing something here?

My Alden shell, which run in the same price range, are nowhere near the same quality.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I think the only thing you are missing is having them in your hands (or on your feet). I don't have a pair, but I know the members that do and I know what they have in their collections. If they gush about them they way they do...they are special. I would like a pair, but my focus is elsewhere at the moment.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are have much more attractive construction and finishing than any other workboot style company that I have seen, and around here, you can see all those brands, from Whites to Danner, at local shops, because that is Wildland Firefighters use them. The leather also seems considerably better, for the most part. The boots that I have are some pretty special Horween leathers. Some of the other boots, I don't know where they source their leather, and it's definitely servicieable, but a lot of it doesn't seem on the same level.

It comes down to whether these things are worth it to you. Certainly, if you are looking for a ASA workboot, you might not want to spend $750. But if you want a boot that is built to be as rugged as a workboot, but with more attractive leathers, and finishing on the same level as some of the more rugged Northhampton companies, they are definitely worth a look.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the only thing you are missing is having them in your hands (or on your feet). I don't have a pair, but I know the members that do and I know what they have in their collections. If they gush about them they way they do...they are special. I would like a pair, but my focus is elsewhere at the moment.

I'm sure they're nice but aesthetics aside, what makes them better than Indy boots or any other Goodyear welted boot that costs less? My Indys also use Horween CXL, so the leather can't be worth $200 more than a pair of Indys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they're nice but aesthetics aside, what makes them better than Indy boots or any other Goodyear welted boot that costs less? My Indys also use Horween CXL, so the leather can't be worth $200 more than a pair of Indys.

The leather is not the same thickness. At all.

I had a pair of Roy boots that were awesome, brown CXL leather...and the leather is nowhere near as thick as my black CXL service boots from Viberg. It's almost like the grade of marbeling on a steak. Don't judge the cut, look at the marbling, too.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I don't think it's the leather. Construction and quality of construction most likely.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
The leather is not the same thickness. At all.

I had a pair of Roy boots that were awesome, brown CXL leather...and the leather is nowhere near as thick as my black CXL service boots from Viberg. It's almost like the grade of marbeling on a steak. Don't judge the cut, look at the marbling, too.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. The Roy boots look pretty cool too and the Vibergs definitely look like they're of a rock solid build. I guess I assumed all CXL leathers were of the same thickness since a lot of it is sourced from Horween Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have two pairs of brown CXL boots both purchased around March one from Viberg, and one from another well known American Co, I also have other CXL shoes. I'm happy with them all and they serve different purposes for me, but from my perspective as a consumer and non-professional, the CXL on my Viberg's seems more substantial, thicker and of higher quality. While they may both come from the same tannery I do believe there are varying grades of hide and if that were the case the material cost would be higher. I also think that the materials in general are of higher quality (Dainite soles are expensive from my understanding), plus they throw in a few extra perks into the box including a little bottle of VSC all of these things add to the cost, but its difficult to do a manufacturing sum of the parts breakdown for a pair of boots like these and Im not sure it is necessary.

In terms of construction Viberg's are stitch down rather than goodyear welted. Stitchdown I have read from other threads is considered to be better, and more labor intensive.

"Worth" is debatable all I can tell you is I'm quite satisfied with the final product, I get plenty of value from the added expense.....I think the quality and finish is rock solid, I like their customer service and the last is a better fit for me.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
part of the reason viberg's shell cordovan is especially expensive is because they're only able to get one boot per hide, which means for each pair they need two hides. they also only use the heaviest-weight chromexcel leathers (more expensive) and reject a good portion of the leather they buy as unsuitable for production.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads