• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: panda beat my by seconds

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is just oiled brown booty, so I don't need it since I have the oiled 4 booty.

Its got 8 eyelets though and for some reason that's making me think I should go in. Kinda hoping they ruin it with dainite for me.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score

I love Viberg, I do, but...

...having secured just a wee bit of this Shinki hide, I'd really have appreciated something a bit more adventurous.

Even though I obviously don't have this boot yet, I feel like somewhere in my closet full of perforated cap-toed Vibergs, I have this already (if you know what I mean).

So this is just oiled brown booty, so I don't need it since I have the oiled 4 booty.

Its got 8 eyelets though and for some reason that's making me think I should go in. Kinda hoping they ruin it with dainite for me.

I've got the oiled 4 on order. If I preferred this color to the oiled 4 this would be a no-brainer.

As for Dainite: The heel (and history) definitely suggests Dainite to me.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a good start, but you're gonna have to have more than just Dainite on your "oh no no" list if you want to keep from drowning in boots.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Viberg, I do, but...

...having secured just a wee bit of this Shinki hide, I'd really have appreciated something a bit more adventurous.

Even though I obviously don't have this boot yet, I feel like somewhere in my closet full of perforated cap-toed Vibergs, I have this already (if you know what I mean).

I've got the oiled 4 on order. If I preferred this color to the oiled 4 this would be a no-brainer.

As for Dainite: The heel (and history) definitely suggests Dainite to me.
I'm at around 20 wears with my oiled 4s now. And yeah its definitely dainite. Its definitely a little too safe/familiar. I think they could have done like a plain toe 1035 or something to spice it up a little.

It's a good start, but you're gonna have to have more than just Dainite on your "oh no no" list if you want to keep from drowning in boots.

Look, don't judge me, I just need to find more space to put all my boots.....

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I'm at around 20 wears with my oiled 4s now. And yeah its definitely dainite. Its definitely a little too safe/familiar. I think they could have done like a plain toe 1035 or something to spice it up a little.

Yes, something like that on Ridgeway and I'd be sitting here with my finger on the trigger waiting to grab the one pair they might make in my size.

Look, don't judge me, I just need to find more space to put all my boots.....

You and me both.

For my birthday, my wife and son are converting my basement home office (which I hardly used anymore) to a whole-room closet (not just for shoes/boots, but my clothes and bags, too). There will be 16 horizontal feet of shelving to take up one entire wall (wrapping around both corners and extending a bit down those sides). They've already started, and are working on it bit by bit. (Our house is small-ish, so this is going to be a nice, unexpected area to have.)

I'll be able to get the overflow off the floor and onto shelves which will be nice, with plenty of room to spare. I don't think this pre-release will be among them, though.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, something like that on Ridgeway and I'd be sitting here with my finger on the trigger waiting to grab the one pair they might make in my size.

You and me both.

For my birthday, my wife and son are converting my basement home office (which I hardly used anymore) to a whole-room closet (not just for shoes/boots, but my clothes and bags, too). There will be 16 horizontal feet of shelving to take up one entire wall (wrapping around both corners and extending a bit down those sides). They've already started, and are working on it bit by bit.

I'll be able to get the overflow off the floor and onto shelves which will be nice, with plenty of room to spare. I don't think this pre-release will be among them, though.
I can probably switch to just doordash and get rid of most of my kitchen for boot space maybe....

thewinedown

Reaction score
8BEE847C-7C24-4984-9D77-DA3ADE06720B.jpeg

My nutmeg kudus are way too close to this (and on ridgeway) to even consider.

WatchesCars

Reaction score
one thing i dont like about my color 4 shinkis is that they water stain so easily. anyone else running into water spotting very easily with them?

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
one thing i dont like about my color 4 shinkis is that they water stain so easily. anyone else running into water spotting very easily with them?

With some of my boots and bags that get water spots, Bick 4 can help to reduce the appearance of them, and sometimes even eliminate them. (Keep in mind Bick 4 is not intended for suede, rough-out, distressed or napped leathers.)

While I've found Bick 4 to be safe to use on all my smooth leathers (I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head), I haven't received my Color 4's yet, so can't say for sure it's safe on those. That said, I have used it on my Shinki teacore horsehide boots without issue and intend to use it on the Color 4's as needed, too.

On some of my boots and bags, I just let the rain spots build up until they're evenly spread, and the effect can be very cool. Again, I don't have my Color 4's yet so I don't know how well that'll work on them, but I have (for example) a veg-tanned Kasperi backpack that had pretty apparent water-spotting to start. Over time, it just turned into a very cool patina. Here's a photo that includes that backpack:

That bag uses a veg-tanned cowhide by Tärnsjö Garveri, so it's not horsebutt.

Before it had this patina, it had a very uniformly colored finish over the entire bag (if you look at Kasperi's website, you'll see what I mean), and I think it looks far better now.

Last edited:

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a Shinki issue in general. Happens on their HB and Shell. The glaze traps water really easily. They make some of the most beautiful leathers, but are the absolute worst when it comes to water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads