• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank you.

I know there only brown chromexcel, but I thought they looked pretty good.

Brown CXL is one of my absolute favorite leathers. Looks super rich both new and worn in and works with nearly everything.

Dino19

Reaction score

I know these are not "in the wild" but I couldn't be happier with these! The seude is buttery soft, is incredibly comfortable and the deep navy defenitely makes these stand out! I have Alden's chukka as well and it can not even compare. Any time I see navy blue seude I am drawn in!! If you are considering these I would highly recommend them.

I actually wanted to have a MTO derby with this but they did not have enough leather even for a single pair. I absolutely adore the rich navy colour. Truly gutted.

Not sure how I would feel about the chukka though.

sklark23

Reaction score
I see the Bison and Loden green are still up in the market, I thought they were no longer available for purchase?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the lowdown on the Viberg CXL Service boot vs. the Alden 403 Indy? I have a pair of Indys but am eyeing the Vibergs in Color 8 CXL. I figure the Vibergs are better quality, and I know that they are "sleeker" but how do they compare in terms weigh, width/blobbiness, instep height, etc.

Also, fair to say Trubalance size = 2030 size?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tons of posts in this thread comparing. I would suggest using the search function to get a bunch of info

pitimespi

Reaction score
Boots/shoes should always feel like they fit well and be comfortable when they're new. Having said that, CXL will stretch a bit but the difficulty is knowing what you mean by "a tad bit tight". This might be splitting hairs but the connotation of "snug" might work as they might stretch enough to be comfortable. But to me, "tight" is dangerous to think they will stretch enough. This will need to be a judgment call on your part.

Depends ,what size are they? Only joking.

In my experience CXl gives more than most other types of leather I own, but it would all depend on where the tightness is and how tight it truly feels, which clearly only you would know. In general I never hope for something to stretch when I buy it, which Im sure you did not do here either. On occasion Ive been in the same situation and have had some success and some failure, all I can say is if you have doubt which is what it sounds like, dont keep them otherwise you'll just have a really cool pair of boots gathering dust in your closet.

Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to reply with your advice. Much appreciated. I have decided to return the boots.

pitimespi

Reaction score
Can you post pictures of these in good light?

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

Sure. I am not sure if you are asking for a picture with my feet in them (to see the fit), but this is what I have right now:

I also did a side by side comparison with one of my Alden wt boots which fit me comfortably:

And just for the heck of it, here's the Viberg vs. a couple of my Alden boots:

I couldn't quite figure out why the Viberg feels so tight... It's a struggle even to just put my feet in them. I think the attached tongue has something to do with it... It's attached all the way up to the top of the boot.

Dino19

Reaction score
Alden looks slimmer & sleeker.

How does the leather compares?

tylernim

Reaction score
The Viberg leather is going to be much much thicker.

I just received my brown cxl 2030s...I would say they are 1/4 size larger than barrie lasted boots.

tylernim

Reaction score
First time out in the wild.

They are Brown like previously mentioned. I went with the ultra artistic iPhone enhance button and they look like Color 8 in the picture. So in actuality they're a little less red, but the depth and variation of color are accurate.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my first pair of Vibergs. I'll have to take pictures later, but they are The Service Boot in Brown CXL on the 2030 Last thru Leffot which have already been posted by a couple others already. I'm very pleased, these are pretty nice indeed. The leather is pretty thick as others have mentioned, and I really like the way the boot looks. Overall I'm pretty impressed. I had given some thought to getting a Whites Boot next, but at this point I wouldn't mind getting another Viberg Boot.

I went with my Barrie size and all they are snug at the ball and the toes, but they do seem to fit Ok.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads