• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the same reason you would ever use plinking? Its a detail. In fact having it and brouging is super extra.

Its not unstructured man...Brooklyn's Faded Wheat are.

Its yet another incoherent makeup

Sschaffer24

Reaction score
Thanks - appreciate the review, and the link to the site; very interesting stuff - I may have to get a pair of those Charcoal Chamois Roughouts now to see for myself...

Of course! I was just blown away when I read through there and realized this isn't the same crepe sole that you'd find on your Clark's desert boot. This is a super old school manufacturing process, done by hand, using specific "milk" from a plant that grows in this one region of france (or something like that. Haha).

I would like reinforce just how comfortable these are. Everytime I wear them I think to myself how these feel compared to everything else I have. They really are super nice. Now these soles are paired with a Kudu leather so that could also be a contributing factor for why they are so comfortable/flexible on foot. Regardless, I would definitely recommend trying!

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course! I was just blown away when I read through there and realized this isn't the same crepe sole that you'd find on your Clark's desert boot. This is a super old school manufacturing process, done by hand, using specific "milk" from a plant that grows in this one region of france (or something like that. Haha).

I would like reinforce just how comfortable these are. Everytime I wear them I think to myself how these feel compared to everything else I have. They really are super nice. Now these soles are paired with a Kudu leather so that could also be a contributing factor for why they are so comfortable/flexible on foot. Regardless, I would definitely recommend trying!
Very helpful thanks for the input.

Squizzy3k

Reaction score
@WeatheredHide I’m with you, brother; unstructured toes look too... worn? Idk, I didn’t get into Viberg due to their leather options, mainly just the upper/ sole selections that caught my eye. Because I wear all RO leathers, I don’t see patina the same as the others.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
@WeatheredHide I’m with you, brother; unstructured toes look too... worn? Idk, I didn’t get into Viberg due to their leather options, mainly just the upper/ sole selections that caught my eye. Because I wear all RO leathers, I don’t see patina the same as the others.

It's funny as many of your posts as I've read that I never figured out that you were strictly RO. Now that you mention it...

I'm definitely desiring a worn look with most of my boots, but I'm looking for wear in/on the hide -- natural scuffing, wrinkling/rolling, color maturation, etc. I'm less inclined to want a dramatic shift in the toe shape, though. I guess I kind of think of the toe as I do the heel, in terms of maintaining shape. I don't want my heel counter to sag, I don't want my toe to sag.

Again, I think you and I are in the minority on this one, @Squizzy3k, but it's just where I'm at on the structured/unustructured toe thing.

That all said, that DR Bobcat makeup with the olive waxed flesh and natural CXL is seriously tempting me to venture into unstructured toe territory, just because I love that combo of hides and colors so much (though I'd much rather have had a more traditional sole type for that upper).

Looking at the waxed flesh unstructured toe photo and article that @smartbrother shared, it does seem that maybe in that leather it's less of a risk.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny as many of your posts as I've read that I never figured out that you were strictly RO. Now that you mention it...

I'm definitely desiring a worn look with most of my boots, but I'm looking for wear in/on the hide -- natural scuffing, wrinkling/rolling, color maturation, etc. I'm less inclined to want a dramatic shift in the toe shape, though. I guess I kind of think of the toe as I do the heel, in terms of maintaining shape. I don't want my heel counter to sag, I don't want my toe to sag.

Again, I think you and I are in the minority on this one, @Squizzy3k, but it's just where I'm at on the structured/unustructured toe thing.

That all said, that DR Bobcat makeup with the olive waxed flesh and natural CXL is seriously tempting me to venture into unstructured toe territory, just because I love that combo of hides and colors so much (though I'd much rather have had a more traditional sole type for that upper).

Looking at the waxed flesh unstructured toe photo and article that @smartbrother shared, it does seem that maybe in that leather it's less of a risk.
I love the upper choices as well, but hate the sole. If the sole is the only thing holding you back, PM me let's talk resole options ?

Squizzy3k

Reaction score

I may give these a go as well... curious to see which sole @smartbrother chooses, I was thinking of replacing with commando.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may give these a go as well... curious to see which sole @smartbrother chooses, I was thinking of replacing with commando.
The contrast of the white sole is so jarring. I'm surprised they didn't go with the sand colored wedge sole, seems like an obvious choice.

I'm going with Dr Sole's full cork, in brown. I think that will pull it all together.

EBDDFA85-D320-48D6-996D-670BA708EAF6.jpeg
2199D459-4D49-4241-8429-10896D7F7DC4.jpeg

vlps

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else jumped on the 3sixteen Vintage Mocha restock a few days ago, but apparently it must have been an error with the website, because those 2 boots were not restocked and they have both been delisted from the website. 3sixteen ended up shipping me something but I'm not quite sure what exactly since they sent me this email just now:

"Sorry! We just discovered that the boots that we sent you are incorrect. They are in a leather that is different from the Vintage Mocha that you ordered and this style has yet to be released. We apologize for this error and the inconvenience that we may have caused. When you receive the boots, please take a look at them and let us know how you'd like to proceed. We can email you a label to have the boots sent back to us for a refund, or, if you like the boots and want to keep them, we can offer you a 30% discount off of them. Please let us know at your earliest convenience!"

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else jumped on the 3sixteen Vintage Mocha restock a few days ago, but apparently it must have been an error with the website, because those 2 boots were not restocked. 3sixteen ended up shipping me something but I'm not quite sure what exactly since they sent me this email just now:

"Sorry! We just discovered that the boots that we sent you are incorrect. They are in a leather that is different from the Vintage Mocha that you ordered and this style has yet to be released. We apologize for this error and the inconvenience that we may have caused. When you receive the boots, please take a look at them and let us know how you'd like to proceed. We can email you a label to have the boots sent back to us for a refund, or, if you like the boots and want to keep them, we can offer you a 30% discount off of them. Please let us know at your earliest convenience!"
Might be in your favor! Let us know what arrives!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics