• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The subcutaneous tissue, also known as the hypodermis or superficial fascia, is the layer of tissue that underlies the skin. The terms originate from subcutaneous in Latin and hypoderm in Greek, both of which mean “beneath the skin,” as it is the deepest layer that rests just above the deep fascia.

I thought you were done? So if the cordovan layer is ABOVE the subcutis that would make it part of the hide.

gte872h

Reaction score
I thought you were done? So if the cordovan layer is ABOVE the subcutis that would make it part of the hide.

I keep asking you to stop talking about it but you don’t even when you already know you have ruined my day. Jokes and name calling.

The other day you said the subcutis was part of the skin. It’s not and the shell isn’t part of it either.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep asking you to stop talking about it but you don’t even when you already know you have ruined my day. Jokes and name calling.

The other day you said the subcutis was part of the skin. It’s not and the shell isn’t part of it either.
But the shell is above the subcutis. Do agree that it is or do believe it is below?

gte872h

Reaction score
If skin is composed of the epidermis, dermis, and subcutis and the cordovan layers are above the subcutis then wouldn’t that make it part of the hide? It makes sense then that Horween describes shaving down the hide to get to that layer as opposed to it being a muscle membrane which if it were would be beneath the subcutis.

Why aren’t you admitting you were wrong about saying the subcutis is part of the skin?

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why aren’t you admitting you were wrong about saying the subcutis is part of the skin?
No the shell is above but it doesn’t make it part of the skin.
As shown in Table 1, we have confirmed that equine-type skin is composed of five hierarchical layers:the epidermis, papillary layer, reticular layer,
cordovan-leather tissue layer and subcutis.

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
Because I'm having a joyous afternoon.

And I didn't say I was done...

From Wiki

Subcutis

sub-
From Latin sub (“under”). Doublet of hypo-.

PrefixEdit
sub-

1. under, beneath
From Latin sub (“under”). Doublet of hypo-.

PrefixEdit
sub-

1. under, beneath

cutis
Edit
EtymologyEdit
From Latin cutis (“living skin”)

Your source says different. That’s my whole point the other day. It’s semantics and different connotations of definitions. I keep asking you to stop but you keep going with the jokes and name calling. Why? Is it fun for you to upset me?

WeatheredHide

Reaction score

LOL! You are fast.

I'm seriously digging this makeup, but, like you, not 100% on that sole choice. I'm also very iffy on the unstructured toe. Yeah, yeah, I know a lot of you guys dig unstructured -- I feel like the odd man out on that one -- but I'm hesitant to go unstructured.

Since I'm not into the crushed-toe look, can any of you share nicely-aged unstructured-toe Vibergs of any makeup without the crushed-toe look? I'm just trying to understand the different directions unstructured-toe Vibergs can go in.

I’ve never seen this crepe sole on a viberg build
View attachment 1448838

• Lactae Hevea Crepe Sole

I said I don't want any more cap toes for the moment. I said I don't want any more 2030's for the moment. Still these are tempting me mightily. I've been curious about a boot with Lactae Hevea a soles. And the pinking...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads