• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to move old stock before the new drop. Some great deals to be had.
But I want the neeeewww stuff *cry baby voice* ?
That’s because they’re dumb as **** and they got scammed. That dude that stole all their money is completely responsible for their price increase in the past 5 years.
I mean, prices do go up over time simply due to inflation. In a business as niche as high quality leather MiUSA footwear, other factors like shifts in suppliers, material availability, etc have an impact. COVID ended a decade long fantastic job market and rising labor costs alone could explain much of it.

InternetTears

Reaction score
But I want the neeeewww stuff *cry baby voice* ?

I mean, prices do go up over time simply due to inflation. In a business as niche as high quality leather MiUSA footwear, other factors like shifts in suppliers, material availability, etc have an impact. COVID ended a decade long fantastic job market and rising labor costs alone could explain much of it.
Idk...that pretend cigar (color 8) wing tip boot run from B+M cost $995 and Idt that includes shipping.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk...that pretend cigar (color 8) wing tip boot run from B+M cost $995 and Idt that includes shipping.

Yeah, pretty sure they slathered those Cigar shells in their #8 acrylic. Or grabbed the wrong pile of shells.

Alden's standard pricing would have that boot around $850 (in Cigar). Retailers are can charge more, though.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh pics of the pretend cigar?? I haven’t heard of this.

1593621052326.png

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah true, but the general pricing like of standard models has crept over time in a way that doesn’t seem TOTALLY out of line with costs.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions:
1) How bad are the duties/fees if I order directly from viberg (I'm in US)?
2) how would the 2030 compare to the alden trubalance? I wear a 10.5 in the trubalance...
3) How's quality these days? I"m eyeing those whole cut boots and they've got 10.5 left and if the sizing is right, I might have to pull the trigger
4) thoughts on quality vs Carmina?

Gracias

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions:
2) how would the 2030 compare to the alden trubalance? I wear a 10.5 in the trubalance...
3) How's quality these days? I"m eyeing those whole cut boots and they've got 10.5 left and if the sizing is right, I might have to pull the trigger

Gracias

Quality is a nebulous word. I would say they are better built than the Carmina I've handled, but the finishing is a bit of a crapshoot. I've never broken in Carmina though, only handled and tried on.

If you consider super clean aesthetics like precise, evenly spaced stitching an important part of quality, probably look elsewhere. If quality is how comfortable the boot is, how supportive it feels, how long it lasts, and how well it ages, Viberg is top shelf.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions:

Gracias

There's no duties between the US and Canada. I'd probably start with the same size as Truebalance, assuming you're about an 11 Brannock. There's not really any overarching quality issues to be concerned about. I'd put them above Carmina in terms of materials and construction quality, maybe even above in terms of QC as well (hard to quantify, but there are frequent QC complaints over in the Carmina thread) but obviously at these price points we're talking diminishing returns. Both companies make a good boot. Like I said earlier in this thread, there's really not much of a quantitative quality comparison to be done between most of the manufacturers in this range. Just buy the style you're looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads