• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

odessaboots

Reaction score
Picked up the natty CXL rough out Boondockers from Leffot. 2030 Last. Here some pics, including comparisons to Alden.

Viberg 2030 last, size 10.5 v. Alden Barrie last, size 10.5D:

Prominent heel on the Viberg

Viberg 2030 last, size 10.5 v.. Alden Trubalance last, size 10.5D:

Viberg 2030 last, size 10.5 v Alden Plaza last, size 11D:

The Viberg has a thick leather sole & the CXL leather is quite thick too. It's a stiff-fitting boot so far. There is approxiately .75" of space at the end of the toe, but, given the verticle taper of the toe box, I'm not sure how much is actually useable. I feel like it's the correct fit for my Brannock size 11C feet.
Many thanks for these comparison photographs. For me, this just confirms I would order 2030 same size as Barrie, and I would definitely want the 2030 last, as it seems that as narrow as it is compared to other Viberg offerings, it is still a comfortable toe box.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up the natty CXL rough out Boondockers from Leffot. 2030 Last. Here some pics, including comparisons to Alden.

Viberg 2030 last, size 10.5 v. Alden Barrie last, size 10.5D:

Prominent heel on the Viberg

Viberg 2030 last, size 10.5 v.. Alden Trubalance last, size 10.5D:

Viberg 2030 last, size 10.5 v Alden Plaza last, size 11D:

The Viberg has a thick leather sole & the CXL leather is quite thick too. It's a stiff-fitting boot so far. There is approxiately .75" of space at the end of the toe, but, given the verticle taper of the toe box, I'm not sure how much is actually useable. I feel like it's the correct fit for my Brannock size 11C feet.

How sleek is the Plaza last? Is that boot dressier to your eyes than the Barrie?

How ya liken that Color 8 Indy? I have the same one. Wearing them today...my favorite pair of footwear!

I was going to spring for a cap toe color 8 on the Grant last, but I figured it's too close to the color 8 Indy...might as well hold out for a whiskey or ravello pair of something.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Your 2030 last will fit longer than your equivalent Barrie size, but the 2030 has a very narrow toe so you need the extra room. Also Viberg boots mold to your feet infinitely better than Aldens - they have a very thick leather insole and heelpad, and once they shape, they really cushion/hug the foot. Steel shank too.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The excellent Viberg vs Alden photos really put talk of the 2030 last being sleek into perspective. My 9.5 2030 are comparable to my 9.5E in Barrie. Comparing the Viberg and Aldens to boots like EG, Rider or G&G would make the point even more apparent

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
sleakness is relative though - part of the reason the viberg looks chunkier in birds eye views is because it has as much thicker welt and double norwegian stitching

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SPOILER TAGS!!!!!

No reason to see the same 10 pictures quoted 3 times in a row

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The excellent Viberg vs Alden photos really put talk of the 2030 last being sleek into perspective. My 9.5 2030 are comparable to my 9.5E in Barrie. Comparing the Viberg and Aldens to boots like EG, Rider or G&G would make the point even more apparent
+1

I think the only talk of narrowness comes from folks who are comparing the 2030 to workbooks. The 2030 compared to many dress boots is not particularly sleek.

CEE88

Reaction score

How sleek is the Plaza last? Is that boot dressier to your eyes than the Barrie?

How ya liken that Color 8 Indy? I have the same one. Wearing them today...my favorite pair of footwear!

I was going to spring for a cap toe color 8 on the Grant last, but I figured it's too close to the color 8 Indy...might as well hold out for a whiskey or ravello pair of something.

I think the plaza last boot is more chiseled for sure. I like it because it's different from my Barrie boots. To me it looks a bit more ... modern? But I'm not sure I'd say it's more/less dressy than the Naval Boot in the pics I posted. I like how it looks with jeans. I also have a plain toe plaza last boot from J. Gilbert with Commando sole that for reason looks more rounded than this Leather Soul plaza boot. It's due to the shape of the sole.
EDIT: pics of the JG Plaza boot: http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/58080#post_6552848

Color 8 Indys have been my go to boots for the last several months. So comfortable. Love'm.

Does Alden still make whiskey or ravello boots or shoes?:D

Last edited:

CEE88

Reaction score

So far I really like my 2030 last boots. When I look down at my feet, the 2030 definitely has some angles & curves - especially from the ball of the foot to the end of the toe. But my eye tells me it looks wider (especially in the ball area) than my Barrie last boots - like, if it was a Barrie last boot too, that it's the next size up.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my Viberg x 3Sixteen service boots are happy to be back in their ancestral home of Canada. Shown here in Montreal, at Cafe Olimpico.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my Viberg x 3Sixteen service boots are happy to be back in their ancestral home of Canada. Shown here in Montreal, at Cafe Olimpico.

They look right at home.
I love that makeup.
However, you left snow for more snow..

TOJfirstimer

Reaction score

Canadian here as well, I have ordered my first pair of vibergs...was thinking of not wearing them during winter due to the mass amounts of salt on the side walk, don't want to ruin the leather...have you had problems with this issue?

45bur

Reaction score
Anyone have a line on the 145 oxfords? In some sort of light suede/roughout colour preferably. Seems to be a hard model to track down.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Canadian here as well, I have ordered my first pair of vibergs...was thinking of not wearing them during winter due to the mass amounts of salt on the side walk, don't want to ruin the leather...have you had problems with this issue?

TOJ - I haven't worn mine much yet in the snow. However, if you search around the net you will see these same boots worn by Andrew Chen of 3Sixteen after 2 years of wear. I think they look awesome after being worn through the winter. Just use a little water/vinegar mix to get the salt off so it doesn't stain.

francoD6

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of boot this is ? The brand ? The type ? Or anything similar? Please help

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads