Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Alright, how about black horsehide. :satisfied:

2. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Yeah---I think requesting shell will just sidetrack the discussion.

Also, the other big shell provider is Comipel. Also, Shinki-Hikaku Co. in Japan does shell.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

3. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

+1. I'm inclined toward making another plug for color 8 cxl.

4. Newo

Newo Senior member

Comipel was the one, I think. Thanks.

5. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

IIRC Comipel provides shell for Trickers. I've not seen it myself, but am told good things about it.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

how about plain toe #8 shell with natural welt and leather sole? Should be available more readily available than walnut shell

7. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

lol

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

from talking with viberg, they can only get a pair of boots from two shell hides - so, you do the math..

[​IMG]

roughout x snow

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

also, from talking with other companies, each company has an allotment of shell each month based on what horween thinks it's going to produce, but if the actual production is under estimate, the smaller companies get bumped in favor of alden

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

hai guyz how about a #4 shell cordovan service boot makeup with matching one piece shell belts?

11. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Those fucking uncles taking all our goddamn shell.

12. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

The black captoe service boot is unlined, and the one from Germany I believe was unlined as well. I can certainly say that it does not feel like plastic and if anything feels a little softer than the shell Dovers, which I suspect is because the Dovers new out of the box are a bit stiffer with Alden's secret sauce on top(but soften up with use). Both are great, and Im a huge fan of unlined shell, I would definitely nab multiple dovers in other colors if that werent all but impossible, it might be my favorite Alden at this point. From my non-professional experience, the leather on all of these particular models is sourced from the same place and has a very similar feel & feels exactly the same as an unlined shell wallet I have.

*I will add that the recent run of Navy Shell boots had a kip leather lining and I think Guy had mentioned that they will be using the lining in the future for boots like these unless the particularly style is meant to be unlined.

"So you are telling me there's a chance?" - Lloyd Christmas

Sorry couldnt resist - I think any shell will be sold similar to the Navy Shell Service boots from last month and agree that it would be best to go with something else for an MTO. Im totally in for Horsehide regardless of source but I dont want to double up on black. However if the tide goes that way, I have no qualms and probably should keep my powder dry.

Nice roughouts look like they are good in the snow.

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Thanks! I may order an unlined Dover from Leffot. I held it in my hand back in January and loved it; they didn't have my size. I could tell how much softer the unlined shell was. Is that what the unlined shell service boot feels like? i.e., it feels far less stiff that a typical Alden shell cordovan shoe?

If so, it would be even softer than my black CXL service boot...not sure how I feel about that, but still intrigued. I definitely want 10 eyelets for my next boot. That looks too slick to pass up.

Thanks again for the comments.

I might pick up a cap toe color 8 alden boot, but since I already have a color 8 Indy, I might pass (too similar?) and get the Dover...but maybe I should just consider a dover or cap toe boot for the same occasions and just pick one of those. Decisions!

If you could post a couple pics of the shell service boot cap toe (black) I'd really appreciate it. So curious what it looks like on the foot.

14. Joona

Joona Senior member

I agree with NYDRH. And yes, the manufactum boots are (mostly) unlined shell cordovan. I've never had a pair of shoes or boots that feel as good. Unlined shell feels soft in a good way and doesn't feel like plastic at all in my opinion. These pics don't really do them justice..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I thought: this pic might help:
    [​IMG]

I think somewhere along the way, someone had asked about relative thickness of the leather. From the unscientific method of touching it, I think the Viberg might be slightly thicker. The tongue of all of my cordovan boots from Alden(which are unlined) are about the same thickness except for one that is noticeably thinner but really makes no difference in form or function, its has just as much structure to it.

In terms of "softness" I think terminology is getting crossed up. I would say the liner provides rigidity and structure and its absence gives a bit of additional flexibility rather than softness. I would not say shell is softer to the touch than CXL and in fact I might say the opposite. Someone with a lot more knowledge then me can surely add context and information, but if there is concern of the unlined version being flimsy in any way, I dont think that is an issue.

I just noticed the request for pics on feet, Ill do my best. As you can see from the photo, Im no Ansel Adams.