• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown Waxed Flesh today ..

B509F548-C872-4025-98E8-85045414A9B4.jpeg
C440D3D9-AEDB-425C-B355-1D465654E69B.jpeg

occytron

Reaction score
I've been lusting after some 2030 service boots for some time, and I think it's getting close to time to pull the trigger. My concern, though, is sizing. I am an 8D Brannock and currently am rotating Alden Indys in 7D, Red Wing IR in 7D and Grant Stone Diesel boots in 7D. I have a low volume foot, so have been using thin inserts in each and still have a thumbs width of room in the toe as well as widest points and arches lining up correctly. Honestly my Indys are maybe a little roomier than I would like, as I tend to prefer snugger footwear. I was reading that Division Road suggests .5 down from RW sizes, which would put me at a 6.5, but I am worried that might be too small. Do most people take the same 2030 and Trubalance size?

One other thing of note is that I have hammer toes (they curl inward), are Viberg's unstructured toes particularly shallow?

Thanks for the help.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been lusting after some 2030 service boots for some time, and I think it's getting close to time to pull the trigger. My concern, though, is sizing. I am an 8D Brannock and currently am rotating Alden Indys in 7D, Red Wing IR in 7D and Grant Stone Diesel boots in 7D. I have a low volume foot, so have been using thin inserts in each and still have a thumbs width of room in the toe as well as widest points and arches lining up correctly. Honestly my Indys are maybe a little roomier than I would like, as I tend to prefer snugger footwear. I was reading that Division Road suggests .5 down from RW sizes, which would put me at a 6.5, but I am worried that might be too small. Do most people take the same 2030 and Trubalance size?

One other thing of note is that I have hammer toes (they curl inward), are Viberg's unstructured toes particularly shallow?

Thanks for the help.
I go 1/2 down for length (10.5 brannock and 10 in the 2030) but you might even want to get 1 down. Honestly it’s a little tricky and always YMMV.

the best way to test out fit for a new last is to try on it in person or to purchase from a company with great CS and return policy. sometimes they’ll ask you to measure your feet for estimation.

I tried 9.5 at first but it was way too tight. I think I’m really a 9.75 in the 2030 but of course that doesn’t exist. 10 suits me fine as it has the perfect amount of give while walking.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score

Thanks for the help.

The advice from caffed is excellent. A company like Division Road will work with you extensively by phone, before and after purchase. Sizing is just too individual - it becomes guesswork to pick your size based on what others prefer. For example, I am just barely a Brannock 9 and I prefer the 7.5 in the 2030 or 1035. Interestingly, I have posted a photo in my size 8 Bourbon Horsebutt 2030, and some commented they look too big, another commented they look too small, lol. They are fine, but I would prefer 0.5 size down. That's when I feel like the waist of the boot pulls my foot into just the right place.

occytron

Reaction score
I go 1/2 down for length (10.5 brannock and 10 in the 2030) but you might even want to get 1 down. Honestly it’s a little tricky and always YMMV.

the best way to test out fit for a new last is to try on it in person or to purchase from a company with great CS and return policy. sometimes they’ll ask you to measure your feet for estimation.

I tried 9.5 at first but it was way too tight. I think I’m really a 9.75 in the 2030 but of course that doesn’t exist. 10 suits me fine as it has the perfect amount of give while walking.

The advice from caffed is excellent. A company like Division Road will work with you extensively by phone, before and after purchase. Sizing is just too individual - it becomes guesswork to pick your size based on what others prefer. For example, I am just barely a Brannock 9 and I prefer the 7.5 in the 2030 or 1035. Interestingly, I have posted a photo in my size 8 Bourbon Horsebutt 2030, and some commented they look too big, another commented they look too small, lol. They are fine, but I would prefer 0.5 size down. That's when I feel like the waist of the boot pulls my foot into just the right place.

Thanks guys, this helps a ton. I know sizing is very different for all feet, but it is nice to have a solid base to work from before fine tuning what my ultimate sizing will be. Especially when boots cost this much, you want to be as sure as possible. I'll reach out to Division Road and begin that conversation with them about sizing recommendations.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this helps a ton. I know sizing is very different for all feet, but it is nice to have a solid base to work from before fine tuning what my ultimate sizing will be. Especially when boots cost this much, you want to be as sure as possible. I'll reach out to Division Road and begin that conversation with them about sizing recommendations.
Good call - DR customer service is second to none.

schuermang

Reaction score

We've beaten this to death in the thread, but speaking with DR first is the best advice I can give.

I was mostly piecing together advice from r/GYW and this thread to buy my first pairs. I went .5 down from my Brannock 10 and thought it was fine for the most part, but it wasn't until I had a lengthy conversation with Kevin at DR that I realized how a properly fitting boot should feel. I was tightly lace my boots while wearing thick socks to get them to fit, which I thought was normal. Clearly this wasn't and Kevin sniffed that out pretty quick, recommended I size down another half, and I'm now where I need to be.

You're at least wise enough to not buy a bunch of pairs that don't fit...unlike me.

occytron

Reaction score
We've beaten this to death in the thread, but speaking with DR first is the best advice I can give.

I was mostly piecing together advice from r/GYW and this thread to buy my first pairs. I went .5 down from my Brannock 10 and thought it was fine for the most part, but it wasn't until I had a lengthy conversation with Kevin at DR that I realized how a properly fitting boot should feel. I was tightly lace my boots while wearing thick socks to get them to fit, which I thought was normal. Clearly this wasn't and Kevin sniffed that out pretty quick, recommended I size down another half, and I'm now where I need to be.

You're at least wise enough to not buy a bunch of pairs that don't fit...unlike me.

You guys were so right about DR being fanatastic. I exchanged multiple emails with Jason yesterday, going in depth with my current rotation and how they fit in the toe box, waist and heel, as well as other info about my feet, all of which led him to suggest a 6, possibly a 6.5 which was surprising. The more I thought about it however, the more I realized that maybe my current boots are a little big and maybe don't require as precise a fit as something like a Viberg does. And he did all this despite the fact that they don't normally stock those sizes (though I can get them via preorder on restocks of core collection boots), and I couldn't purchase from him at this time. That is just stellar customer service and definitely one of the reasons they are so highly recommended. I am planning on picking something up from them, whether it be socks or clothing, as I feel supporting shops like this is very important.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what's driving other people's sizing preferences.

First, for those who know, what are people's foot (heel to toe) length, arch length (heel to ball), and preferred Viberg size? For me it's foot length 11.5, arch length 12, preferred Viberg size 11.

Second, for those with D or narrower feet, How do you deal with the extra volume in Viberg's E+ width lasts? Do you size down to fill volume or wear thicker socks/use inserts? I tried both sizing down and using thick socks and I prefer the latter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads