• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the binding is the bigger deal. I was planning on wearing them as more of a dress boot and liked that the biding stopped the lighter colored lining from peaking through. They’re offering $100 off to take as is or a full refund. I’m torn.

I was under the impression that brown shell (even dark brown) is on the rare side these days, so thought they would have put a little more attention to the details.

Man I wonder how they missed that detail. At least they’re owning their mistake and offering a nice discount ($970 for a new Viberg shell run is sweet) or a full refund. Still disappointing because I totally agree that the French binding matched with the dark brown shell made it distinct and dressier than their other service boot offerings.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is French Binding?
French binding is the piping on the upper outer edge on a pair of boots. Alden uses it on their boots and Viberg uses it on their derby boots. The new Mocha shell cordovan was supposed to be Viberg’s first service boot with it, but it looks like they forgot lmao.

1365B281-4BF4-4640-BFA9-BD047730024A.jpeg

ChronBong

Reaction score
tried on the boots at the store.

charcoal_chamois__27732.1513817826.jpg

while its great, snug around the foot mid to front...but the heel area is kinda loose. is this normal?

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the message that they messed up the mocha shell service boots? No pull tab and no French binding.

I got that message. I couldn’t be happier honestly. I was planning on cutting the pull tab off anyway and I guess I’m indifferent to the French binding. I have boots for dressier occasions.

The $100 refund is a sweet bonus.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say, good on Viberg for getting out infront and admitting a screw up.

Believe me, they aren’t happy about discounting what basically is an instant sellout for them.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
tried on the boots at the store

while its great, snug around the foot mid to front...but the heel area is kinda loose. is this normal?

If I had to pick I'd be wary. A loose heel is disastrous for me, while snugness in the toe is absolutely fine. Sounds like this last isn't a good fit for you.

ChronBong

Reaction score
If I had to pick I'd be wary. A loose heel is disastrous for me, while snugness in the toe is absolutely fine. Sounds like this last isn't a good fit for you.

yea im gonna go try it again tomorrow night, i put it on hold actually.

i dont get why the heel area is like that while everything else is on point.

its such a beautiful boot, ill figure out a way, i live in the pacific northwest so i need something like that quite badly.

Last edited:

eyeheartny

Reaction score
i dont get why the heel area is like that while everything else is on point.

Shoes are built on a last that determines the dimensions of the entire thing, from the toe width, cone height, heel width, arch shape, etc. You may have a narrow heel and this last was meant for someone with a wider heel. Look at the Alden Barrie last-- it's wide in every dimension. I could wear a B width in the Barrie and a D in another shoe for my narrow heel with a flat arch. The point is, not every last works for every foot. Most of the Alden lasts don't work for me, and only a few of the Viberg ones do. I suspect your foot shape and dimensions aren't compatible with this last for whatever reason.

its such a beautiful boot, ill figure out a way, i live in the pacific northwest so i need something like that quite badly.

It's a bad idea to get your heart set on a boot that doesn't fit well. You "need" a boot that fits, not something that fits poorly that you're fixated on. But whatever, it's your money.

ChronBong

Reaction score
Shoes are built on a last that determines the dimensions of the entire thing, from the toe width, cone height, heel width, arch shape, etc. You may have a narrow heel and this last was meant for someone with a wider heel. Look at the Alden Barrie last-- it's wide in every dimension. I could wear a B width in the Barrie and a D in another shoe for my narrow heel with a flat arch. The point is, not every last works for every foot. Most of the Alden lasts don't work for me, and only a few of the Viberg ones do. I suspect your foot shape and dimensions aren't compatible with this last for whatever reason.

It's a bad idea to get your heart set on a boot that doesn't fit well. You "need" a boot that fits, not something that fits poorly that you're fixated on. But whatever, it's your money.

im looking at my feet, i do have a narrow heel compared to the rest of my foot.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
im looking at my feet, i do have a narrow heel compared to the rest of my foot.

Ok. So now think about the height of your arch, the width of the ball of your foot, any abnormalities in how you walk, and you’ll see why fit is so complex. The design of a last has to be compatible with your foot to get a good fit. Again, it doesn’t sound like this size and last combo works for your foot. Think of it like a lock and key. You’re wondering why the key to your home won’t open your neighbors door. It’s because it wasn’t cut to fit your neighbors lock. So you have to find shoes that are like the lock to the key of your foot.

ChronBong

Reaction score
Ok. So now think about the height of your arch, the width of the ball of your foot, any abnormalities in how you walk, and you’ll see why fit is so complex. The design of a last has to be compatible with your foot to get a good fit. Again, it doesn’t sound like this size and last combo works for your foot. Think of it like a lock and key. You’re wondering why the key to your home won’t open your neighbors door. It’s because it wasn’t cut to fit your neighbors lock. So you have to find shoes that are like the lock to the key of your foot.

thing is i can adjust, not everything has to be perfect like that....because every single of my boots and shoes all fit differently. ill go back again and walk around see how i really feel. today i wore dress socks, they are thin. so ill put on some more normal socks, thicker ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads