1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

What is French Binding?

2. honestpanda

honestpanda Senior Member

French binding is the piping on the upper outer edge on a pair of boots. Alden uses it on their boots and Viberg uses it on their derby boots. The new Mocha shell cordovan was supposed to be Viberg’s first service boot with it, but it looks like they forgot lmao.

1365B281-4BF4-4640-BFA9-BD047730024A.jpeg

3. ChronBong

ChronBong Senior Member

tried on the boots at the store.

[​IMG]

while its great, snug around the foot mid to front...but the heel area is kinda loose. is this normal?

4. JayDotz

JayDotz Senior Member

I got that message. I couldn’t be happier honestly. I was planning on cutting the pull tab off anyway and I guess I’m indifferent to the French binding. I have boots for dressier occasions.

The $100 refund is a sweet bonus.

5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

I will say, good on Viberg for getting out infront and admitting a screw up.

Believe me, they aren’t happy about discounting what basically is an instant sellout for them.

6. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

If I had to pick I'd be wary. A loose heel is disastrous for me, while snugness in the toe is absolutely fine. Sounds like this last isn't a good fit for you.

7. ChronBong

ChronBong Senior Member

yea im gonna go try it again tomorrow night, i put it on hold actually.

i dont get why the heel area is like that while everything else is on point.

its such a beautiful boot, ill figure out a way, i live in the pacific northwest so i need something like that quite badly.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

8. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

Shoes are built on a last that determines the dimensions of the entire thing, from the toe width, cone height, heel width, arch shape, etc. You may have a narrow heel and this last was meant for someone with a wider heel. Look at the Alden Barrie last-- it's wide in every dimension. I could wear a B width in the Barrie and a D in another shoe for my narrow heel with a flat arch. The point is, not every last works for every foot. Most of the Alden lasts don't work for me, and only a few of the Viberg ones do. I suspect your foot shape and dimensions aren't compatible with this last for whatever reason.

It's a bad idea to get your heart set on a boot that doesn't fit well. You "need" a boot that fits, not something that fits poorly that you're fixated on. But whatever, it's your money.

9. ChronBong

ChronBong Senior Member

im looking at my feet, i do have a narrow heel compared to the rest of my foot.

10. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

Ok. So now think about the height of your arch, the width of the ball of your foot, any abnormalities in how you walk, and you’ll see why fit is so complex. The design of a last has to be compatible with your foot to get a good fit. Again, it doesn’t sound like this size and last combo works for your foot. Think of it like a lock and key. You’re wondering why the key to your home won’t open your neighbors door. It’s because it wasn’t cut to fit your neighbors lock. So you have to find shoes that are like the lock to the key of your foot.

11. ChronBong

ChronBong Senior Member

thing is i can adjust, not everything has to be perfect like that....because every single of my boots and shoes all fit differently. ill go back again and walk around see how i really feel. today i wore dress socks, they are thin. so ill put on some more normal socks, thicker ones.

12. Mrfuzon

Mrfuzon Senior Member

was it a viberg email or one from christian? i have not received such email yet...

13. Crafty Cumbrian

Crafty Cumbrian Senior Member

Any idea this model gentlemen?

I’ve whittled it down to fatty calf or cxl!!

E006EE50-90BE-4C9B-BF84-8DBC548F94A0.jpeg

0AD641ED-6CCE-4F2E-98D6-31C142CF9518.jpeg

14. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Fatty calf. Used to have a pair of those myself. They were nice. Notably sleeker than most Vibergs.

15. Crafty Cumbrian

Crafty Cumbrian Senior Member

Many thanks

How do you care for them, just like regular calf leather?