Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This happens to pretty much all dark colored leather. regardless of the tannery. The only way to avoid this is to only wear suede, in light grey or brown or "natural" leather. I personally think that it adds to the character of your boots. If you don't like it though, that's what they made shoe polish for, specifically, to cover up the nicks and tears from routine use and minor damage.

2. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote: I don't think this really happens as readily with leathers that are drum dyed most of the way through.

I"m just saying I'm concerned about durability... not so much about scratches and other cosmetic scuffs, but real durability. I've not really found any answers about abrasion resistance, and I wonder if any such study exists. As a motorcycle rider, I know that there have been tests comparing the abrasion resistance of denim, leather, horsehide, nylon, and kevlar. I am going to see if anyone has done a comparison between various leather tannages.

My fears are likely unfounded, and I suspect that abrasion resistance is relatively constant among leathers of similar thickness.... but I would like to know for sure. The last boots I bought lasted 5 years of daily wear before I wore a hole through them, and before I spend 500 dollars on some black chromexcel boots I would like to learn more about its abrasion resistance, as I intend on wearing them on a motorcycle and the shift lever is not kind to the left vamp.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Whatever happened to rotating footwear...

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You are like me, then. I don't ride bikes, but I live a lot more rough and tumble than a lot of folks, and for that reason, most of my leather jackets are heavy steer or horse. I don''t wear lamb. If you are looking for something that will work for bikes, and want Viberg, I would definitely stick with the black oil tan.

5. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

CXL will do just fine on a bike, see the chukkas in the top post (http://www.styleforum.net/t/299228/leather-arts-crafts-moto-aoyama-tokyo-japan-appreciation-thread). Those boots have seen quite a few miles.

Also, if you can find Viberg CXL boots for $500, let me know.

6. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Thanks LA Guy. I'm actually considering some oil tanned boots for that reason. But I'm being patient and waiting for "the perfect boot," and in the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open to learn as much as I can about the leathers.

7. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Do you think these boots are made by Viberg for Yuketen?

[​IMG]

8. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Re CXL, IMO the reason it's popular [esp., w/denimheads] is, exactly because of the color wearing thin on high traffic/friction areas ... eg, some RRL engineers.

For me, THAT is the selling point for getting one ... having leather evo like fading denim jeans. If you don't like that kind of effect, then get some other leather that's dyed all the way through

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

Not Viberg at least like the one's I have......

Got the Nigel Cabourn x Viberg chaukka today and the fit is exactly like the Boondocker, 110 last. May have miss chosen on the color though. Ordered the brown and not sure.....

Will see, may exchange for the lighter tan.

Have high end problems Ha..

Have fun Y'all

10. scb

scb Senior member

7 days later and this package is still somewhere in limbo in Canada. They haven't tried redelivery and tracking hasn't shown it come back to the US...

11. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Will Obenauf Heavy Duty LP do anything to black leather aesthetically? I want to wear my scout boots in the winter. Not sure if I should just wear them as-is or put some protectorant on first.

The leather is matte black calf/cowhide.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

Think you'll be fine.

I've used Obenhauf's LP myself--not on Viberg stuff, but on a black vachetta leather. After being wiped down properly afterwards, the boots
    initially looked a bit less shiny, though that came back. Colour remains the same.

Maybe just test it on a small, out-of-sight area if you're worried?

13. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Obenauf won't do anything amazing to your shoes. It slightly repels water though.

14. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

I just want to prevent salt damage.

15. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Unfortunately, it does not block salt.