• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes because it's always better to trust a website rather than the guy that's worked there.

ben2t

Reaction score
Thanks to those who chimed in on my Oil Tan question. Good to hear some feedback. I had a chance for a pair of Oil Tans but passed; of course, now wishing I hadn't...
I had regret also of letting the chance passed for a pair of Black Oil with plain toe.
Viberg_Waxed_black_Service_boots_2__77485.1385421282.1280.1280.jpg

Arizor

Reaction score
^^^Wearing these right now and couldn't be happier, even got each boot sized differently due to Fok's hard work, so they fit each foot perfectly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had regret also of letting the chance passed for a pair of Black Oil with plain toe.
Viberg_Waxed_black_Service_boots_2__77485.1385421282.1280.1280.jpg
We have one extra pair in a size 9.5, in the store, if anyone is interested: http://www.styleforummarket.com/viberg-standard-black-service-boots-exclusively-for-styleforum/

We also have a single pair of the cinnamon roughout in a size 10 as well.

Incidentally, you probably don't want to miss out on this next round. We have enough for the Loden Service Boot on the 2030 last to go forward. The last day for preorders was extended to Dec 15, but I would not sit too long on this round: http://www.styleforummarket.com/viberg/

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Wearing these right now and couldn't be happier, even got each boot sized differently due to Fok's hard work, so they fit each foot perfectly.
Glad I could help. I was sweating bullets making sure that the sizing was right on this pair, though.

peezlep

Reaction score
The long standing Viberg website and Brett Viberg both say UK, so I'm going to take my chances with that.

Either way, and I know Guy has promised that it's coming, a size guide needs to appear sharpish.

Personally I went through all the opinions on the pages and pages of this blog and others to work out my size. I'm honestly a very patient individual! But if I read another comment along the lines of 'if I'm a 8.5US in Red Wing...' All this information and opinion has been covered so many times, you could get that answer by scanning through the most recent 10 pages of this thread, or the first ten, or any ten! Any way, rant over.

larryr

Reaction score
Just had these bad boys delivered. FWIW same size (10) as my Alden Indys and Viberg Oxford on the 110 last.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take this one, as I've owned both and have an MTO in black oil tan coming in next week. Just gave away my 3sixteen black CXLs to my older brother today, as well.

The thing you'll notice about Viberg's regular black CXL boots are the natural edging, where you see the raw, tan leather. This indicates, if I'm not mistaken, that the leather is superficially dyed. I don't know all the correct terminology but what it comes down to is this: the black on the CXL can and will rub off in some areas in time, leaving behind "raw" beige spots. I just started to see it on the ankle of the 3sixteen pair today. So deeper scratches and gouges will reveal the tan leather underneath.

The black oil tan leather, specifically why I chose it, is (though, a duller finish leather) is what you call "drum dyed" - that is, the entire leather is soaked to absorb pigment and is dyed all the way through the leather. That's why you see black edging on them. You cut the leather and the dyed interior shows through - black on black. The thing about the 3sixteen boots, specifically, is that they compensated for the surface dying by edge dying the cuts as well. It's a great idea and good look, but the raw leather is still there, underneath, waiting to show through eventually.

Just my two cents. I was surprised when I discovered this.

Heft-wise, I found the black oil tans more pliable than the CXL (I've owned three pairs of CXL boots now, the blacks and Icy Mochas from the Viberg site and the Stealth Edition from the 3sixteen site and one pair of black oil tans bought off Ebay. I believe the CXL's were less forgiving when bending with the foot and will require a longer break in period. Though, this should make them last longer, theoretically. Me, I prefer a more comfortable boot even if it's at the slight expense of the sheen of the leather.

Just to add to my earlier comments. Here's a pic of my brother's new (2 weeks of wear by me) 3sixteen/Viberg black CXL boots. The finish will rub away in time. I wonder how people are going to respond to it once it happens on a more visible part of the shoe.

Neognosis

Reaction score
The more I read about chromexcel, the more I'm wondering if it is a good idea to use it for boots.

It's not dyed through and the finish rubs off around the ankle after two weeks of routine wear?

What are the advantages to chromexcel, besides a cool name and the much hipster-venerated "Horween" name?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've worn my Icy Mocha Vibergs 3-4x a week since getting them, and nothing has worn through.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I've worn my color 8 chromexcel wolverines every day since I got them a month ago, and they show scuffs, gashes, and scratches like crazy. But there are no spots that have rubbed down to a non-colored layer yet either.

I don't think that the mocha color would show that it's worn down past the pigment like the black ones seem to... with the contrast between uncolored leather and black being so drastic, right?

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
The more I read about chromexcel, the more I'm wondering if it is a good idea to use it for boots.

It's not dyed through and the finish rubs off around the ankle after two weeks of routine wear?

What are the advantages to chromexcel, besides a cool name and the much hipster-venerated "Horween" name?
I have black and brown CXL boots, including ones from Viberg, and none have rubbed off like that from regular wear. If done properly, it can be a great leather for boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads