1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior Member

I noticed some Vibergs have a bulbous toe while others have a sleek toe despite both being on the same 2030 last. Is this true, or am I imagining it?

2. trevorplease

trevorplease Senior Member

probably the partially structured (bulbous) and unstructured (sleek) construction

3. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior Member

Viberg footwear is made to UK sizes; depending on who you talk to... US sizes are 1/2 - 1 size smaller, i.e 10UK=9US (or 9.5, depending who you talk to...)
    I found that for me the US=UK+1 formula works very well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 7:12 PM

4. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Not that it matters, but the Viberg people will tell you their stuff is not made to UK sizes. Coincidence that some of the sizing conventions are in common.

5. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior Member

There is contradiction in what they say: I asked, and I have an email stating they make footwear to UK sizes; on their site they say it's not UK but 1 size larger than US sizes...
    I bought my boots size 9 and they fit like a size 9UK; I don't understand why their size is larger than US if not adhering to UK sizing, maybe they use their own measure?! Size 9 Viberg...

Web Store <[email protected]>
    11/29/17
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Hi
    The prices are in Canadian funds. The sizes of the Viberg boots are UK, so they fit about a half size larger. Stompers fit a bit bigger as well.
    Lori
    Viberg Boot
    #9-601 Boleskine Rd.
    Victoria, BC
    V8Z 1C5

ph: 250-384-1231
    fax: 250-361-9372
    toll-free: 1-800-663-6388
    hours: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm &
    Sat 9am-4pm PST

6. smartbrother

smartbrother Member

Here’s a photo for context. YMMV. I wear thin/normal weight socks.

F0FE31F6-7E97-4C5B-95BC-12079B3ABB99.png
    34ED888F-FC7A-4199-918C-8146C85284B8.png

7. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

^ in my experience, I can see exactly why those are sized that way. Shoes *should* be sized based on the heel to flex point distance of the shoe, not on the heel-toe length. I can see those Nike's have the heel to flex point distance much longer than the Viberg distance. If you're sizing based on making your toes take up the toe box, those look like the same size. But if you were sizing based on having the knuckle of your big toe hug that flex point, you'd possibly be an 11.5/12 in the Viberg lasts as well. Yes, you'd have more space in front of your toes, but I find that to be the proper fit in the long run.

8. Mr.Chest

Mr.Chest Member

Yeah I agree - providing the information with more background would be helpful. Trainers are terrible for comparison.

9. smartbrother

smartbrother Member

That makes sense. For me, I find all of these shoes in these sizes comfortable to wear all day. Others may as well.

I also wear 10 in Barrie, 10.5 in Aberdeen/Plaza, 9.5E(UK) in C&J.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

Very well said. I went a good 30+ years buying incorrectly sized shoes as I felt there should be less room between the toes and end of toebox. Now, the biggest issue I face is buying for a comfortable toe box (regardless of excess length) and no heel slip.

As has been posted, it's much easier to help with sizing when buying online when one compares to brannock/measured size as opposed to comparisons to trainers/sneakers. If you can't get properly sized, walk into any discount shoe store and use a brannock. It will save so much heartache in the long run.

11. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

Another helpful point with sizing and heel slip is that counterintuitively, heel slip is actually very often caused by wearing too *small* a shoe. If a shoe is too small, your foot's flex point is in front of the shoe's flex point. You then get heel slip because the shoe can't bend with your foot (and so your heel rises up on its own). This *can* be mitigated by breaking in the shoe until the shoe bends, albeit in the wrong place. Basically, if your only symptom is heel slippage, and the shoe otherwise feels comfortable, your shoe is probably too *small*, *not* too big. It astounds me how many people and sales associates get this detail wrong.

12. theSleepyKid

theSleepyKid New Member

I just picked up my first pair of Viberg service boots (crust horsehide). They're phenomenal. I love them. The last is perfect.

I'm thinking of picking up a second pair but in a different leather. I'm leaning towards:

https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-brown-reindeer
    https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-snuff-kudu

How do the reindeer and kudu age? Haven't seen any 'with wear' photos of either.

And I'm also considering:

https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-honey-tanned-horsehide?variant=2249399861278
    https://viberg.com/collections/footwear/products/service-boot-brown-kangaroo?variant=19229033348
    https://viberg.com/collections/footwear/products/service-boot-black-kangaroo?variant=21774644420
    https://viberg.com/collections/foot...ot-black-matte-calfskin?variant=3369150414878

More generally, are there any make ups out there right now that look particularly enticing? So many of these boots look so nice and deciding on a single pair, given the price point, is too damn difficult :p.

13. orionz06

orionz06 Well-Known Member

14. grizzlygiant

grizzlygiant Senior Member

The matte calf is sold out otherwise I'd say go that pair.