• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hill

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of the crust horsehide with some wear on them?

gte872h

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of the crust horsehide with some wear on them?

Here’s a couple. Not a whole lot of wear yet but they’ve darkened up quite nicely.

CBE4D5C8-4928-449D-9632-4704A891FEAA.jpeg

17E293E8-D6C4-4CB2-BFC2-201C837C7432.jpeg

Hill

Reaction score
Here’s a couple. Not a whole lot of wear yet but they’ve darkened up quite nicely.

Thanks, those look great. I was mostly interested in how much/quickly they darken, so this is helpful. Really nice pair!

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year Mr. Porter was selling Vibergs in tobacco Chromepak. I haven’t seen any pics of these in the wild and wanted to see how they compare to Coffee and Olive Chromepak. I’m surprised the leather hasn’t show up in others make up from other stockists.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Last year Mr. Porter was selling Vibergs in tobacco Chromepak. I haven’t seen any pics of these in the wild and wanted to see how they compare to Coffee and Olive Chromepak. I’m surprised the leather hasn’t show up in others make up from other stockists.

I don't have any photos, but tobacco chromepak is more of a reddish brown tone compared to the coffee chromepak, which is a little more traditional brown. I understand that coffee chromepak is gone, no more available. Olive chromepak is less warm than either of them and is more of a pull up leather if I recall. Then you have natural chromepak, which is quite mustard yellowish initially, but turns more golden over time.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love some input on the tumbled horse.

First, a little backround: I own one pair of Vibergs in roughout suede, size 6.5 on 1035 last. They fit pretty great out of the box, and even more so about a year in. I wear custom orthotics with them, as I do with all my shoes and boots, which is generally no problem as I have pretty flat, low volume feet.

That said, I just picked up a pair of Service boots in tumbled horse on the 2030 last. Though my feet are low volume, they're also a bit wide in the forefoot so I took the advice suggested by some here and went up a half size to 7. Tried them on last night and my first impression was, length seems pretty good, but the vamp feels pretty tight across the top of my foot (remember, though my feet are flat, I've got the plastic inserts placed in there, which tends to raise my foot up a bit, though in time they typically compress a bit into insole). So my question is, will the tumbled horse tend to stretch across the vamp over time? Another option I've had some success with is removing the insole and replacing it with something thinner and spongier (the orthotics run about 2/3 the length of my foot and supply all the support I need), but these insoles appear to be glued in and I run the risk of potentially not being able to return them if I start messing with them. I really like the boots aesthetically, both the last and the leather, and would love to be able to keep them, just need a little input as to what to expect if I do.

Thanks for listening.

gte872h

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Love the rugged grain structure.

^ Where did those come from? They are SICK.

From Freeman’s MTO last year.

People seem to be on the veg tan train right now which might be why we haven’t seen Chromepak around much lately.

Would love some input on the tumbled horse.

First, a little backround: I own one pair of Vibergs in roughout suede, size 6.5 on 1035 last. They fit pretty great out of the box, and even more so about a year in. I wear custom orthotics with them, as I do with all my shoes and boots, which is generally no problem as I have pretty flat, low volume feet.

That said, I just picked up a pair of Service boots in tumbled horse on the 2030 last. Though my feet are low volume, they're also a bit wide in the forefoot so I took the advice suggested by some here and went up a half size to 7. Tried them on last night and my first impression was, length seems pretty good, but the vamp feels pretty tight across the top of my foot (remember, though my feet are flat, I've got the plastic inserts placed in there, which tends to raise my foot up a bit, though in time they typically compress a bit into insole). So my question is, will the tumbled horse tend to stretch across the vamp over time? Another option I've had some success with is removing the insole and replacing it with something thinner and spongier (the orthotics run about 2/3 the length of my foot and supply all the support I need), but these insoles appear to be glued in and I run the risk of potentially not being able to return them if I start messing with them. I really like the boots aesthetically, both the last and the leather, and would love to be able to keep them, just need a little input as to what to expect if I do.

Thanks for listening.

Horse front will have a bit of stretch over time, but hard to say if it will be enough for you depending on how much you need. My natural horse slippers started out snug across the vamp but relaxed after break in. Removing the heel pad would most likely work for you since as you know, your orthotics are raising your feet up as well as forward away from the heel. Wescos come with a full length, removable leather insert. I’ve heard some say that since the vamp is initially tight for them, they initially remove the insert and are able to add it back in after break in. Hope this helps a bit.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horse front will have a bit of stretch over time, but hard to say if it will be enough for you depending on how much you need. My natural horse slippers started out snug across the vamp but relaxed after break in. Removing the heel pad would most likely work for you since as you know, your orthotics are raising your feet up as well as forward away from the heel. Wescos come with a full length, removable leather insert. I’ve heard some say that since the vamp is initially tight for them, they initially remove the insert and are able to add it back in after break in. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the detailed response, very helpful. Great looking boots, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads