• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some DIY edge trim & welt darkening on my chelsea boots. I wanted a slightly darker edge/welt but didn't want to slather on dark brown edge trim and lose the look of the stacked heel. I was just after a little less contrast.

I use a bit of AE walnut cream polish (medium brown), then seal it with kiwi brown wax polish.

Light was different when I took the original images but you get the idea.

Before & After:

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got a pair of Derby Boots in Waxed Flesh. It takes quite a bit of effort to actually get my feet in them, at least compared to my Alden boots. Did anyone else have a similar experience and will it get easier over time as the boot breaks in?

What last? They should fit similar to Alden Barrie last of an equivalent size (Viberg 2030 last size 10 is similar to Alden Barrie last size 10).

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Recently got a pair of Derby Boots in Waxed Flesh. It takes quite a bit of effort to actually get my feet in them, at least compared to my Alden boots. Did anyone else have a similar experience and will it get easier over time as the boot breaks in?

IME waxed flesh is very tough to break in.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I took the chelsea and slapped a fat commando sole on it, y'all think that would be cool? I think it'd be cool. Maybe someone has one?

Might move into the territory of a fairly common REI-looking work boot from blundstone or something. I dunno. My pair of chelseas has a commando sole but it's not particularly thick.

gte872h

Reaction score
If I took the chelsea and slapped a fat commando sole on it, y'all think that would be cool? I think it'd be cool. Maybe someone has one?

Might move into the territory of a fairly common REI-looking work boot from blundstone or something. I dunno. My pair of chelseas has a commando sole but it's not particularly thick.

You can google some Tricker's chelseas with a commando sole. Lots are a Chelsea with a wingtip design, but I think there are some plain toe chelseas as well which have the commando sole.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ton of size 9 bergs on ebay that someone is unloading including the bison hunters

Kevin K

Reaction score
BTW do you guys also condition the inside of your boots and if you do how do you apply stuff to it? Its kind of difficult.
I only wear boots casually so not much wear and tear I dont think I should bother with doing the inside. Thoughts? Really want to hear from senior members here! :D

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW do you guys also condition the inside of your boots and if you do how do you apply stuff to it? Its kind of difficult.
I only wear boots casually so not much wear and tear I dont think I should bother with doing the inside. Thoughts? Really want to hear from senior members here! :D
I haven't had to do it with my Vibergs yet, but I do it with my lined shoes, but not very often. About once every other or every third time I condition the outside. A very sparse application of a light conditioner like Lexol, Bick4, or Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion. These oral swabs (used in hospitals) help me get into the toe area:

kimberly-clark-kimvent-oral-care-swab-sod-bicarb-plastic-stick-box-of-1000-model-12254.jpg

Really depends on how much you sweat, and weather you go sockless.

Kevin K

Reaction score
I haven't had to do it with my Vibergs yet, but I do it with my lined shoes, but not very often. About once every other or every third time I condition the outside. A very sparse application of a light conditioner like Lexol, Bick4, or Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion. These oral swabs (used in hospitals) help me get into the toe area:

View attachment 829802

Really depends on how much you sweat, and weather you go sockless.
I sweat a lot but I wear medium socks.. What do you think?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No? Why would you do such a thing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads