Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior member

Thanks guys, but I literally just got these and am still within the return period for Manufactum. Granted, it's in Germany so there's those hoops to jump through... But I paid through the nose and would rather try to return them for a full return (minus Express Shipping).

You all really like these, huh? What am I not seeing.... ?

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

Is the shell unlined? Or what makes them so light?

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I wasn't looking for a crazy deal just keep it in mind is all.

Yes, I like them very much. Have you owed other cordovan boots or are these your first? it is a different material so just curious

4. Badseeds

Badseeds Senior member

I really hope Viberg will build some shell cordovan service boots with lining. 2030 last, 310 last, 2045 last, all fine with me and I am ok with plain toe / straight cap / brogue, as long as there is no pinking.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

The pinking kills the cap-toe for me. I really hope they do away with that.

6. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior member

Well, I just returned from the post office where I spent $75 to send them back.

What I noticed, with the sleek leather and lack of a top eyelet at the ankle cuff, you need to wrap the laces around the ankle to tie, but they easily slip up and off the ankle. Also, I've never felt such a thin tongue before. It almost felt like you could tear it. For anyone familiar with the regular tongues of the CXL boots, these were completely devoid of strength or structure and felt like a thin piece of shaved felt. I know it wasn't, just trying to explain.

And yes, it was my first Cordovan in an ankle boot. I own a pair of dress shoes in black Cordovan. I knew it'd be unlined and it knew it'd be thin, AND yes, it was super comfortable. It just felt "off" for me, like not what a boot should be. I've owned thin lambskin chukkas and those were my favorite. These ... they felt showy.

Looks like I need to wait and see what 3Sixteen is cooking with their Stealth version.

7. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

+1 on no pinking. Really hope to get black cordo boots soon.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

sorry they didn't work out with you. I could have saved you $75 but so be it.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You could take your own advice.

10. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

11. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

[​IMG]

For those of you guys that thought the Viberg shell was very thin, is it thiner than what other brands are using, or is it the lack of lining that's making it seem thiner than shell from Alden et al.?

12. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Unlined shell is quite thin. Alden shell boots feel substantial because there is a leather lining and then another fabric type layer in between. I've held off buying a pair of vibergs because most are unlIned in the shaft area which i wasnt too sure on.

13. Joona

Joona Senior member

For what it is worth, at least my manufactum boots are actually pretty thick shell cordovan compared to others I own and have handled. I'd have to agree that the tongue on the other hand is quite thin and soft leather (it is not shell cordovan). I have not had any troubles lacing the boots around my ankles.

14. Badseeds

Badseeds Senior member

Even though shell is thinner than HH, its probably still the more durable of the two. Personally I'd make sure any HH boots I buy are lined.