1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Viberg Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ysb, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Glad I could help. I was sweating bullets making sure that the sizing was right on this pair, though.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dpalaghiuc

Dpalaghiuc Active Member

PSA size 8 walnut shell cordovan on ebay (paste not working) GL

3. peezlep

peezlep Member

The long standing Viberg website and Brett Viberg both say UK, so I'm going to take my chances with that.

Either way, and I know Guy has promised that it's coming, a size guide needs to appear sharpish.

Personally I went through all the opinions on the pages and pages of this blog and others to work out my size. I'm honestly a very patient individual! But if I read another comment along the lines of 'if I'm a 8.5US in Red Wing...' All this information and opinion has been covered so many times, you could get that answer by scanning through the most recent 10 pages of this thread, or the first ten, or any ten! Any way, rant over.

4. ben2t

ben2t Senior member

5. larryr

larryr Senior member

Just had these bad boys delivered. FWIW same size (10) as my Alden Indys and Viberg Oxford on the 110 last.

[​IMG]

6. Understatesman

Understatesman Senior member

Just to add to my earlier comments. Here's a pic of my brother's new (2 weeks of wear by me) 3sixteen/Viberg black CXL boots. The finish will rub away in time. I wonder how people are going to respond to it once it happens on a more visible part of the shoe.

[​IMG]

7. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

The more I read about chromexcel, the more I'm wondering if it is a good idea to use it for boots.

It's not dyed through and the finish rubs off around the ankle after two weeks of routine wear?

What are the advantages to chromexcel, besides a cool name and the much hipster-venerated "Horween" name?

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I've worn my Icy Mocha Vibergs 3-4x a week since getting them, and nothing has worn through.

9. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I've worn my color 8 chromexcel wolverines every day since I got them a month ago, and they show scuffs, gashes, and scratches like crazy. But there are no spots that have rubbed down to a non-colored layer yet either.

I don't think that the mocha color would show that it's worn down past the pigment like the black ones seem to... with the contrast between uncolored leather and black being so drastic, right?

10. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

I have black and brown CXL boots, including ones from Viberg, and none have rubbed off like that from regular wear. If done properly, it can be a great leather for boots.

11. LA Guy

This happens to pretty much all dark colored leather. regardless of the tannery. The only way to avoid this is to only wear suede, in light grey or brown or "natural" leather. I personally think that it adds to the character of your boots. If you don't like it though, that's what they made shoe polish for, specifically, to cover up the nicks and tears from routine use and minor damage.

12. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote: I don't think this really happens as readily with leathers that are drum dyed most of the way through.

I"m just saying I'm concerned about durability... not so much about scratches and other cosmetic scuffs, but real durability. I've not really found any answers about abrasion resistance, and I wonder if any such study exists. As a motorcycle rider, I know that there have been tests comparing the abrasion resistance of denim, leather, horsehide, nylon, and kevlar. I am going to see if anyone has done a comparison between various leather tannages.

My fears are likely unfounded, and I suspect that abrasion resistance is relatively constant among leathers of similar thickness.... but I would like to know for sure. The last boots I bought lasted 5 years of daily wear before I wore a hole through them, and before I spend 500 dollars on some black chromexcel boots I would like to learn more about its abrasion resistance, as I intend on wearing them on a motorcycle and the shift lever is not kind to the left vamp.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Whatever happened to rotating footwear...

14. LA Guy

You are like me, then. I don't ride bikes, but I live a lot more rough and tumble than a lot of folks, and for that reason, most of my leather jackets are heavy steer or horse. I don''t wear lamb. If you are looking for something that will work for bikes, and want Viberg, I would definitely stick with the black oil tan.

15. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

CXL will do just fine on a bike, see the chukkas in the top post (http://www.styleforum.net/t/299228/leather-arts-crafts-moto-aoyama-tokyo-japan-appreciation-thread). Those boots have seen quite a few miles.

Also, if you can find Viberg CXL boots for $500, let me know.

16. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Thanks LA Guy. I'm actually considering some oil tanned boots for that reason. But I'm being patient and waiting for "the perfect boot," and in the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open to learn as much as I can about the leathers.

17. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Do you think these boots are made by Viberg for Yuketen?

[​IMG]

18. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Re CXL, IMO the reason it's popular [esp., w/denimheads] is, exactly because of the color wearing thin on high traffic/friction areas ... eg, some RRL engineers.

For me, THAT is the selling point for getting one ... having leather evo like fading denim jeans. If you don't like that kind of effect, then get some other leather that's dyed all the way through

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

Not Viberg at least like the one's I have......

Got the Nigel Cabourn x Viberg chaukka today and the fit is exactly like the Boondocker, 110 last. May have miss chosen on the color though. Ordered the brown and not sure.....

Will see, may exchange for the lighter tan.

Have high end problems Ha..

Have fun Y'all

20. scb

scb Senior member

7 days later and this package is still somewhere in limbo in Canada. They haven't tried redelivery and tracking hasn't shown it come back to the US...