• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pasteurisation

Reaction score
I enjoyed the video. It is interesting to know that brass nails make leather last 10 times as long. Thanks for sharing.

Arizor

Reaction score
I think that's a bit of hyperbole, though well-intended. As brass doesn't rust it definitely means you've got a great chance of your boots lasting longer, but there are many other factors that feed into longevity; issues of sourcing and construction etc. Luckily Viberg seems to have those covered too.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would share some more shots of my pick-ups from the the sample sale.

Here are the hand-cut mahogany shell service boots on a danite sole and 2030 last. Really happy with these. Haven't worn them out yet, just waiting for some cooler weather to arrive:

And here are the calico grey and waxed flesh saddle shoes on a danite sole and 2030 last. I took these to my cobbler and had the brass eyelets added. I think it adds a nice pop to the shoes. These have gotten decent wear over the summer:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shells were the pick of the litter on the sample sale.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the saddle shoe in a little better light? I would like to see the welt and edge trim color a little more clearly.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have shots of either the black horsehide or black Scotch-grain cordovan service boots from the new website? I'd like to see them in the wild, and maybe with a little wear...

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the 2030 last, how does width compare to Alden Barrie?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you post a pic of the saddle shoe in a little better light? I would like to see the welt and edge trim color a little more clearly.

Here you go:

If anyone is interested I can post shots of the shell boots in natural light as well. Anyone interested?

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the 2030 last, how does width compare to Alden Barrie?

From my personal experience it depends.

For the saddles shoes an 8 in the 2030 last works perfect.

However, for boots I go with an 8.5 and the fit is spot on.

For reference, I do pretty much the same thing with Alden shoes. 8D in Alden barrie lasted shoes and 8.5D in Alden barrie lasted boots. I think this is because with my barrie lasted shoes I wear thin dress socks, whereas with the boots I wear medium weight socks (usually anonymous ism socks). For reference, I measure a true size 9D on the brannock.

Hope that helps.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! Love these. They look really great

My pleasure! I really like them as well. My wife usually HATES saddle shoes, but she actually likes these ones. I think they are a good mix of prep and rugged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads