• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vhs -- Rip

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I still enjoy watching some movies more on VHS than DVD. I don't always need the deleted scenes with 2 hours of director notes. VHS will not be dead to me as long as Ebay is around. VHS is also goof dor certain titles that never made it to VHS. VHS had a good life and I am sad to see it go.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still borrow the occasional VHS title from the library, and I still record with VHS -- I haven't gotten around to investigating the whole TiVo/digital video thing yet.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn... Blue-ray and HD-DVD are out and you guys are still on VHS? Just because a dvd has extras doesn't mean you need to watch them.
eek.gif

And I'm curious, are any of you still using ColecoVision as your game console? Or have you already upgraded to NES?
devil.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Hah! I always knew Betamax would win out in the end!

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The article forgot to mention that the VHS will see continued use for playback of legacy Appreciation collections across the country.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Damn... Blue-ray and HD-DVD are out and you guys are still on VHS? Just because a dvd has extras doesn't mean you need to watch them.
eek.gif

And I'm curious, are any of you still using ColecoVision as your game console? Or have you already upgraded to NES?
devil.gif

My Coleco Football game is a portable handheld, smart-alec.

And what the devil is Blue-ray? (Rhetorical question - I'll just check that 'Gugel' website I keep hearing people talk about).

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I still use VHS to record but maybe once the prices on the DVD-R/HD players come down I'll upgrade to that.

Meanwhile, I've got a few TV series on DVD. I can't even imagine the quality/amount of tapes if they were on VHS.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Betamax was so much better, Smaller, Very little noise when pausing, etc. Sony didnt want to allow Appreciation to be printed on it though so VHS won that format war. VHS sucks Im glad to see it go. (still have a pile of beta tapes too)

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Sony didnt want to allow Appreciation to be printed on it though so VHS won that format war. VHS

Wait - a Japanese company was squeamish about Appreciation?????

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, VHS was made by JVC and they didnt care who bought the licensing to recreate players/recorders or print tapes. You can bet that Sony never made that mistake again. I think whoever makes the most popular format for Appreciation will win the format war of Aught6-8

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Content-wise, hd-dvd is ahead of blue-ray atm. Blue-ray's big advantage was always seen as the millions of players that would instantly make their way in to people's homes with the launch of the ps3. I guess we'll see how that goes b/c it's quite expensive for a console and it's now turning out that the backwards compatibility isn't all it was cracked-up to be. Then again, the content war may be moot since there are already drives in the making that can play both formats. Still, HD-DVD has the most potential to offer reasonably priced content in the near future so I hope it wins.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HD DVD sucks ass as of now, 2 min to load a disk? come on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads