• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vexing Questions on Shoes/ Please help

Jerry52

Reaction score
I've reworked another post in hopes for some replies.

There are several more lingering questions in my search for English or maybe Italian shoes up to about $350 US.:

My foot size in an American shoe is 12 C. The 12 in an English equivalent is usually an 11 and a half. But the "C" has presented lots of problems with several English shoe companies I've contacted. "C" is considered a narrow width and many British shoes will be too wide. So are you aware of a good English derby offered in an equivalent to a "C" width? And will I have the same sizing problems with Italian shoes?

Are there any good "brick-and-mortar" shoe shops in Chicago, New York, Houston ( or another big city) that specialize in nothing but the imported upscale shoes? I realize there's a Crockett & Jones store in NYC but that's the only line they sell. In some major city here in the USA there must be an upscale multi-brand import store, with a good reputation for customer service.

Has anyone had experience with the "H.S.Trask" Italian shoe??? I think it's Italian, I'm not sure.

Another shoe that looks good on paper is the Finn Comfort Hilversum from Germany. Has anyone owned a pair of Finn Comfort dress shoes?

Is it wise to buy some of the very premium brands as used? I've always sort of shied away from that idea because of worries of inheriting foot disease from a previous wearer, but I suppose a responsible dealer would sanitize the shoes. I thought it might be a chance to get into a Lobb or Greene or Weston for my budget. Then again finding my size used in a black or mahogany derby might be pretty tough...

Is there a really reliable shoe store in the USA that does specialize in preowned luxury shoes?

But it comes back to whether I can find, new or used, a very nice pair of English or Italian fine leather derby lace-ups that will fit my 12-C foot...which I'll remove from my mouth as I await your replies

There you have it. My search seems stalled. SOS!

Jerry

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live?

Jerry52

Reaction score
I live in the Southern USA, not really near any major cities. I'm pretty certain I'll have to mail-order, so I don't care if the shop is in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. Anywhere in the USA just so long as they are ethical and offer good selection and will work with mail order. Some "walk-in" stores still cater to mail-order trade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics