• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veuve Cliquot

alaaro

Reaction score
Real quick, I have heard two different pronunciations: "Vove Click-o" and "Vee-vay Cleeck-o".

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is not sound in French approaching the "eu" of veuve, but the closest might be the o of of when pronounced "ov", if that makes sense. The final e of veuve is silent.

Second word: click is not bad. And the o sound is one sound, not diphtongated. It is a deep o, not an open o. Like when you say: Ohhh.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, if you are from the south of France, you do pronounce the final e of veuve.
wink.gif

PHV

Reaction score
There is not sound in French approaching the "eu" of veuve, but the closest might be the o of of when pronounced "ov", if that makes sense.  The final e of veuve is silent.  

Second word: click is not bad.  And the o sound is one sound, not diphtongated.  It is a deep o, not an open o.  Like when you say: Ohhh.
Ummm... "eux" = them in French, so there is a very basic sound for "eu" in french.

Veuve cliquot is pronounced "vuh-ve cli-co"

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne,27 Dec. 2004, 07:50
There is not sound in French approaching the "eu" of veuve, but the closest might be the o of of when pronounced "ov", if that makes sense. Â The final e of veuve is silent. Â Second word: click is not bad. Â And the o sound is one sound, not diphtongated. Â It is a deep o, not an open o. Â Like when you say: Ohhh.
Ummm... "eux" = them in French, so there is a very basic sound for "eu" in french. Veuve cliquot is pronounced "vuh-ve cli-co"[/quote from above message from PHV ] Ooops, I meant, of course: there is no equivalent of that French eu sound in English. Â Eux in French is a different eu from the one in veuve. Â The lips are open when pronouncing veuve, more closed and rounded when pronouncing eux. I would discourage the pronouncing of the final e of veuve. It should end in a "v" sound. Â Unless, again, you want to sound like you are from Marseille or Toulouse.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for those who are interested, veuve means widow.  The name is actually spelled Clicquot.  

Philippe Clicquot founded a wine trading business in Reims in the XVIII century, died prematurely, so his widow, Barbe Nicole Ponsardin became the owner.  Under her management, the "Maison" became famous.  For over 60 years, she remained the main decision maker.

This institution now belongs to LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy) and is still one of the biggest producers of great champagnes (grands champagnes).

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Also, because of its proximity to a k sound, the second v is pronounced like an f.

Think "veu-fklee-koh."

csfbguy

Reaction score
I am pretty confident you pronounce it like this:

Vooove Cleek-ot

PHV

Reaction score

Vooove Cleek-ot
ooo is not the right sound. It isn't the same sound as "vous".

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vooove Cleek-ot
Why are you wasting your time debating French pronunciation with a native French speaker?

PHV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csfbguy,30 Dec. 2004, 08:12
I am pretty confident you pronounce it like this: Vooove Cleek-ot
Why are you wasting your time debating French pronunciation with a native French speaker?
That's what I don't understand. Americans always have a very funny pronunciation of French words, then again so do I compared to a french first language person, but compared to most I only sound like half an idiot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads