1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vests

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WJTW, Mar 5, 2005.

1. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

I have seen some vests with lapels (and I think some was shown on the board, too) and the people who wore them looked pretty sharp. Are these vests good additions to the wardrobe or something to pass up on? What is the vests' level of formality? Also, is it a must that a vest should have, say, a satin or silk back and an adjustable strap? Although the satin/silk/other materials back does look nice, I was thinking of having one without it, and without the adjustable strap to give it a smoother and duller look. It might be another one of those odd tastes I have that might not appeal to everyone, but I'll like some comments, anyway. [​IMG] What is/are the purpose(s) of the different material used for the back of the vest? How about odd vests? Can vests not match the suit, either entirely (completely different, materials, colours, designs, etc) or partially (for example, same colour but different materials, different patterns [eg: pinstrip navy vest for solid navy suit].)? Thanks. WJTW

2. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

The satin back reduces the weight and bulk of the vest. That makes a difference in centrally heated settings.

Dress vests, where the jacket is never removed, often dispense with the back altogether.

Odd vests are perfectly appropriate with single breasted jackets. A buff vest is a classic look with a navy suit.

I prefer vests with lapels. They disappeared from ready made suits because the makers could save a few nickles. Then the vests themselves disappeared.

Will

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

A local, Turkish tailor that I used to visit for alterations wore a vest in which both the front and back of the vest were made of the same suit cloth. There is nothing to prohibit you from doing this especially if you tend to get cold and want added warmth. You will need the vest to be very well fitted if you delete the back belt. A backless vest for a regular suit is bad idea. As Will stated, the backless vest is restricted to formal dress where you never remove your coat. [​IMG]

4. Horace

Horace Senior member

Check that winter/fall catalog for Andover Shop. I think they've some odd waistcoats that look pretty sharp. Cable Car CLothiers too. That said, I've only worn waistcoats that match suits, and less frequently, with black-tie.