• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vests

WJTW

Reaction score
I have seen some vests with lapels (and I think some was shown on the board, too) and the people who wore them looked pretty sharp. Are these vests good additions to the wardrobe or something to pass up on? What is the vests' level of formality? Also, is it a must that a vest should have, say, a satin or silk back and an adjustable strap? Although the satin/silk/other materials back does look nice, I was thinking of having one without it, and without the adjustable strap to give it a smoother and duller look. It might be another one of those odd tastes I have that might not appeal to everyone, but I'll like some comments, anyway.
tounge.gif
What is/are the purpose(s) of the different material used for the back of the vest? How about odd vests? Can vests not match the suit, either entirely (completely different, materials, colours, designs, etc) or partially (for example, same colour but different materials, different patterns [eg: pinstrip navy vest for solid navy suit].)? Thanks. WJTW

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The satin back reduces the weight and bulk of the vest. That makes a difference in centrally heated settings.

Dress vests, where the jacket is never removed, often dispense with the back altogether.

Odd vests are perfectly appropriate with single breasted jackets. A buff vest is a classic look with a navy suit.

I prefer vests with lapels. They disappeared from ready made suits because the makers could save a few nickles. Then the vests themselves disappeared.

Will

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
A local, Turkish tailor that I used to visit for alterations wore a vest in which both the front and back of the vest were made of the same suit cloth. There is nothing to prohibit you from doing this especially if you tend to get cold and want added warmth. You will need the vest to be very well fitted if you delete the back belt. A backless vest for a regular suit is bad idea. As Will stated, the backless vest is restricted to formal dress where you never remove your coat.
smile.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen some vests with lapels (and I think some was shown on the board, too) and the people who wore them looked pretty sharp. Are these vests good additions to the wardrobe or something to pass up on? What is the vests' level of formality? Also, is it a must that a vest should have, say, a satin or silk back and an adjustable strap? Although the satin/silk/other materials back does look nice, I was thinking of having one without it, and without the adjustable strap to give it a smoother and duller look. It might be another one of those odd tastes I have that might not appeal to everyone, but I'll like some comments, anyway.
tounge.gif
What is/are the purpose(s) of the different material used for the back of the vest? How about odd vests? Can vests not match the suit, either entirely (completely different, materials, colours, designs, etc) or partially (for example, same colour but different materials, different patterns [eg: pinstrip navy vest for solid navy suit].)? Thanks. WJTW
Check that winter/fall catalog for Andover Shop. I think they've some odd waistcoats that look pretty sharp. Cable Car CLothiers too. That said, I've only worn waistcoats that match suits, and less frequently, with black-tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads