• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vest with lapels but no collar?

Ben W

Reaction score
I'm having a new 3-piece suit made.I have two items I'm considering doing differently with the vest this time.

1. I asked my tailor about doing lapels on the vest. He said they certainly can do so, but he recommended not doing a collar on it because it makes for too many layers of fabric on the back of the neck. Has anyone seen/done this?
2. I'm currently planning on having this vest made with the back the same as the front, rather than with liner.

Any opinions on either of these points?

Ben W

Reaction score
I found this image online that seems to be what he was describing for #1. The lapels end at the shoulder, instead of continuing into a collar.

Attachments

• 3DE8170F-6946-4CDD-BA93-2B8BE0404B38.jpeg
    3DE8170F-6946-4CDD-BA93-2B8BE0404B38.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 36

DJCon93

Reaction score
I don't recommend it. If you plan on wearing the vest without the jacket - which I assume you would - it won't look as good without the full collar. Just a personal opinion, but it looks cheesy to me and reminds me of a magician's vest.

Your second point will still look good and will likely breathe a bit better depending on what kind of lining you have.

Good luck!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you are channeling Prince, I don't recommend lapels or collars on a vest. Or for that matter making the back out of the suit fabric. The traditional back fabric, today usually bemberg but possibly silk, isn't just to save money on woolens; it will help the jacket drape properly. The operating principle is that vests are only meant to be seen publicly from the front, under a jacket; the rest is a private matter. What happens in the back stays in the back. That said, it's not as private as underwear. Should you decide to toss your jacket across the dance floor at a wedding and twist in your vest, no scandal will ensue. Keep your trousers on.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but what’s the point of the vest?

It’s archaic. It’s superfluous and serves no purpose. If you’re having the suit custom made, then opt for an extra pair of slacks.

Wearing the vest as a stand alone item is ridiculous. Wearing it as part of a 3 piece ensemble will have people wondering if you’re Daddy Warbucks and asking as to the whereabouts of little orphan Annie.

Ben W

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. The only suit I currently wear is a 3-piece, and nobody has ever given me a funny look for it. If anything, I've gotten a few compliments. I also feel more comfortable with a vest. It gives me the "suit of armor" feel, which I don't get without one, and is a confidence booster for me. If I ever feel differently, I can easily leave the vest in the closet and wear the suit as a 2-piece. I was already planning on getting a second pair of trousers. At this point I'm leaning toward ditching both options mentioned in the OP.

Verve

Reaction score
I’ll disagree with some of the responses on this thread. Ever since I’ve been upgrading my suits about 1.5 years ago, all I purchase are 3-piece suits. It gives me more flexibility with whether I want to wear the jacket only, vest only, or 3-piece (which gives me additional outfit looks). IMO, any 3 of these options look great, and I’ve received many compliments on all options.

My initial choices started with conservative business suits for work with later options leaning towards casual fabrics. I get many clients admiring and complimenting the new wardrobe.

As for my vest options, I have all versions: bemberg lining on the back, full fabric on the back, lapels (no collar on back when there is bemberg lining); no lapels, and I will be receiving a full fabric vest with lapels in a week or 2. I love all versions, but if I had to do it over again, I would choose full fabric on all my vests instead of bemberg lining.

Here’s a recent pic of a linen/wool fabric that my wife took when it was a very warm day a month ago or so. Yes, it’s a monochromatic look, and I like it.
FAEECDB6-8E02-4B45-AE96-058AD3728E68.png

Last edited:

Ben W

Reaction score
I would choose full fabric on all my vests instead of bemberg lining.

What about it makes that your preference, if you can pinpoint it?

no collar on back when there is bemberg lining

Do you happen to have any shots of how this looks? And I presume this means you do a collar with the full fabric back? Do you find the collar on the vest makes for what feels like a lot of material at the back of the neck?

Thanks for chiming in.

Verve

Reaction score
What about it makes that your preference, if you can pinpoint it?
It’s a couple of reasons:
1) When wearing just the vest without jacket, the full fabric looks “complete” vs the more common bemberg lining on the back.
2) I think the lining on the back of vest is the more common option when people own vests, at least the sample viewing among my colleagues. Thus, the full fabric looks nicer when wearing the vest alone, IMO.

Do you happen to have any shots of how this looks?
I’ll try to post some pics of the side and back of vests from my pic library.

And I presume this means you do a collar with the full fabric back? Do you find the collar on the vest makes for what feels like a lot of material at the back of the neck?
Actually, none of my vests have collars on the back after just checking them all. I’m assuming this is the default because it would cause problems with the jacket collars. I’ll have to ask next time I talk to my tailor.

Here’s the one I’ll be receiving shortly:
28B6CC01-640B-4CB4-B960-DDADEEED1789.png

Another IRL pic of vest only.
61CA8A34-E7AA-4115-A347-44CCE21F096D.jpeg

Here’s one pic of back:
EA947243-D529-4DD5-A8A5-87B213B141B8.jpeg

Side:
C15A7B78-DCB5-4618-B43B-AEBED5CDFABB.jpeg

One with lapels:
1EC14BC7-D93E-4D85-B0E6-9E0A39BA2A84.png

Ben W

Reaction score
You've been incredibly helpful! Thank you!

Verve

Reaction score
You’re welcome.

I forgot to add another disclosure: what’s a great feature with 3-piece suits is that you don’t have to button the jacket of SB suits when wearing the vest and jacket together because it still looks cool. Huge bonus that I enjoy.

28984F07-CEE6-4ABF-840A-A98E13933F53.png

A9DB3761-B60F-439F-8317-77C3BBFE946E.png

Verve

Reaction score
Ben, I’m curious what you finalized for your vest options? I’m sure you’ll like whatever you selected.

Ben W

Reaction score
Waiting on a call from my tailor to finalize things but after viewing your pictures I'm leaning toward going with my original gut feeling and doing the fabric back and lapels with no collar. Hoping we touch base tomorrow to finalize the order. Will update this thread after, and also when I have the suit.

Ben W

Reaction score
Got the order form from my tailor. Going with the fabric back and notch lapels on the vest. ?️ Firming things up with him tomorrow.

Verve

Reaction score
I just received my full fabric vest with lapels today. It’s a cashmere blend… really nice. I’m excited to wear it tomorrow for work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads