• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vest Matching Question

DebonairDave

Reaction score
Hello, first-time poster here.

I have a semi-formal (no jacket required) social event this weekend, and I plan on going with just a vest over a shirt and tie. I wouldn't want to wear a suit, as at this same event last year I had a drink spilled on me within a minute of arriving. I expect the same kind of debauchery this year (it's a college party, in case you were wondering).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a rule about matching a vest to pants. My vest is a 5-button in black suede (tacky? let me know!) and the pants are a medium-to-dark gray with a subtle pinstripe. I was thinking light gray or white shirt with conservative black patterned tie.

So if there's a rule of thumb for matching, someone let me know! Vests are such a rarity nowadays that I really don't know how to approach this. Thanks in advance!

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DebonairDave
I have an informal (no jacket required) social event this weekend, and I plan on going with just a vest over a shirt and tie. I wouldn't want to wear a suit, as at this same event last year I had a drink spilled on me within a minute of arriving. I expect the same kind of debauchery this year (it's a college party, in case you were wondering).
FTFY. Anyway, I wouldn't attempt to match an odd vest to trousers, if that's what you're going to be wearing. Just let them be separates. After all, with that outfit you're going to spend the evening mixing everyone else's drinks.

DebonairDave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
FTFY.

After all, with that outfit you're going to spend the evening mixing everyone else's drinks.

Point taken. I suppose there's a reason you never see vests without coats. And good call on the informal. It was 3:30 a.m. and I knew this was nowhere near formal, but couldn't think of an appropriate term.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 63 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 121 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.1%