1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Vest color

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GoonerPride, Dec 18, 2006.

1. GoonerPride

GoonerPride Active Member

Is it acceptable, but more importantly does it look alright, to wear a vest that is a different color than the suit you're wearing

for instance, if i wore a grey pinstriped suit with a black vest...is this something that should be avoided?

2. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

Is it acceptable, but more importantly does it look alright, to wear a vest that is a different color than the suit you're wearing

for instance, if i wore a grey pinstriped suit with a black vest...is this something that should be avoided?

From my limited experience, a waistcoat should match the color of the suit being worn -- unless in a casual setting. If it is a casual dress, with say odd trousers and an odd jacket, I feel it is perfectly acceptable to wear a contrasting color. Although use caution with choosing colors; try to keep them in the same general palette so as to extend a certain sense of cohesion.

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Odd waistcoats can be worn with worsted suitings. It's a great look that's a bit more formal than wearing a sweater with your suit.

Cream, dove gray and buff linen odd vests are classics with worsteds and flannels. Chose one that picks up a secondary color in the suit, such as a pin stripe.

4. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I like odd vest with both sports jackets and suits. Nothing wrong with this look in my opinion.