Vest Button Stance and No. of Button

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jqmartin, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jqmartin

jqmartin Member

Hello, I'm gonna get a new made to measure suit with a vest. I wanna get a SB PL suit in a light gray. I curious about what's appropriate for a vest.

I was thinking about getting the vest with 3 buttons and a lower stance or "gorge" as some call it, also no lapels on the vest and perhaps a slightly rounded gorge.

The 3 buttons would be lower and closer together sorta like the formal vest for a tux.

Is this appropriate for a regular suit???

2. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

That is not appropriate. The waistcoat should have 5 or 6 buttons, with 6 being the most traditional. Both would have about the same button stance.

3. recondite

recondite Senior member

You mean a real waistcoat as opposed to a vest?

[​IMG]

4. J_Quinn

J_Quinn Active Member

The reason I started to consider this is because I'm getting the suit from indochino, and they give the option of 3 buttons on the vest. However I thought if there's 3 buttons they shouldn't be the same distance apart as 5 buttons, thus the 3 buttons would look better lower, and they also happen to offer a rounded gorge sorta like the one in the previous post.

The fact that I want the suit as single button makes me think the vest would look better with the low button stance cuz the one button jacket would probly have a slightly lower button stance as well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012