Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vest Button Stance and No. of Button

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jqmartin, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jqmartin

jqmartin Member

Hello, I'm gonna get a new made to measure suit with a vest. I wanna get a SB PL suit in a light gray. I curious about what's appropriate for a vest.

I was thinking about getting the vest with 3 buttons and a lower stance or "gorge" as some call it, also no lapels on the vest and perhaps a slightly rounded gorge.

The 3 buttons would be lower and closer together sorta like the formal vest for a tux.

Is this appropriate for a regular suit???

2. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

That is not appropriate. The waistcoat should have 5 or 6 buttons, with 6 being the most traditional. Both would have about the same button stance.

3. recondite

recondite Senior member

You mean a real waistcoat as opposed to a vest?

[​IMG]

4. J_Quinn

J_Quinn Active Member

The reason I started to consider this is because I'm getting the suit from indochino, and they give the option of 3 buttons on the vest. However I thought if there's 3 buttons they shouldn't be the same distance apart as 5 buttons, thus the 3 buttons would look better lower, and they also happen to offer a rounded gorge sorta like the one in the previous post.

The fact that I want the suit as single button makes me think the vest would look better with the low button stance cuz the one button jacket would probly have a slightly lower button stance as well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012