1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Very shiny suit -- what's it called?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jack12345, May 11, 2012.

1. jack12345

jack12345 Active Member

Every once in a while I'll see a suit that has a very high shine to it. I really like it, but unsure what it's called to narrow my search for something similar. (No, I don't mean from over cleaning or ironing.) Rather, it's a high gloss - and sometimes I see it in dark solid black (which I need for a particular occassion).

It's my understanding that sharkskin refers to a weave that uses alternate colors or patterns - so therefore it's not found in a dark solid black due to the contrasting color that's paired with the black.

Is it just called a high-sheen suit?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Thought it was just sharkskin

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Mohair

1 person likes this.
  4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Or more specifically, bad mohair.

5. jack12345

jack12345 Active Member

Just to clarify, is it possible to have a solid dark-black sharkskin suit? Or does the nature of sharkskin (alternate colors) make a dark solid black impossible?

How do you tell the difference visually between sharkskin and mohair/wool blend?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

[​IMG]

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Sharkskin can be very shiny looking. It all depends on the contrast between the two colors and the composition of the yarns.

Silk and or mohair blended into a fabric add shine.

As others above have alluede - proceed with shiny suits with great caution. More often than not they look more tacky than cool.

8. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Burnt polyester. So they say.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I believe it is called either polyester or well worn.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

Assuming it is not a suit made from silk - entirely impractical, well worn might be fine if you had bespoken the suit twenty years before (or it had been bespoken by your father even earlier) , other than that, crap comes to mind.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

It's called ugly. Please... don't.

12. davesmith

davesmith Senior member

+1

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Sharkskin has a sheen to it

14. So(cal)Steezy

So(cal)Steezy Member

My bamboo sport coat has a slight glistening sheen to it...I think it's the nature of the fabric..? :eh:
    It looks cool for evening events, but I wouldn't want any shine coming from my suits.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. Wayward

Wayward Senior member

I've seen the word "tonic" thrown around to describe the high-shine suits. Don't know if that helps.

16. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

That would be a reference to Dormeuil Tonik, their mohair cloth. Tonik 2000 and Super Brio are their mohair/wool blends.

The ideal is sheen, not shine. Classic "tonic suits" can look sublime. They're expensive.

I'm sure Dave Reeves and some others can chime in on Tonik.

17. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Polyester suits always have a nice shine. Though, I would avoid polyester suits.

18. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

My favorite summer suit is a wool/mohair Trofeo and it has a slight shiny look to it, can't really notice it till you are very close. I love that suit, it's a mid grey and unlined. Nobody has ever noticed the mohair sheen. Shiny iridescent lounge suits are another story, I must confess that I've always wanted a stylish sharkskin suit, not that I'm ever going to wear that to the office. Super tacky lounge lizard one for listening to Sinatra, drinking top shelf booze and smoking Cohibas.

19. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I suspect it's shiny because your sports coat is actually "bamboo" viscose, which is the most common bamboo fabric, not bamboo "linen". Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_textiles

Silk blend suits can be quite shiny, even low percentage silk blends. It depends more on the way the fabric is processed than the material.

20. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

+1 , I can understand the hate for polyester shine, its indiscriminently shiny in any angle/direction, but don't get the hate for the sheen of silk/mohair or any polished suiting. These can look so awesome as they play with the light.

OP should definitely look at Trofeo 600 (zegna) which is a blend of silk 600 and fine wool (I suspect the wool is roughly S150). You can get suiting and jacketing in this. It has a wonderful hand.

Also look at Summer Amadeus (Dormeuil) and Summer Tasmanian (Loro Piana) which are both silk/wool blends as well. I don't know how the Summer Amadeus holds up but the Summer Tasmanian is quite durable and wrinkle resistent. In particular I had a suit made in this which is a medium gray & silver pin stripe and depending on the angle you can see a slight silvery glow beneeth the gray almost like a sharkskin.

In any regards none of these cloths are in the same universe as tacky. The only comments I get when wearing these are positive