• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very interesting shirt seen in nyc today

Phil

Reaction score
Saw an odd shirt today, thought you might appreciate it:

I was walking along 56th and Park this morning and walked past a gentleman in his 40s, looking very well dressed. Tall thin guy, great suit, but what struck me was the shirt. I assume it was MTM, but it was white in the body, but had red gingham collar and french cuffs. Kind of a take off on the colored body, white collar and cuff look. I dont know if I could pull it off, but he looked great.

Phil

Reaction score
i would agree, but it didnt have the exaggerated high and big collar that i associate with etro. maybe all etro shirts arent this way.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Phil,

Sounds cool due to the fact that you don' t see them everywhere. I am picturing it in my head and thinking...not too bad. Maybe better as a buttondown casual shirt. Depends on how the rest of Mr. Gingham Collar's ensemble was all put together. Do you recall the details of the suit, tie, shoes, etc? Just curious.

Phil

Reaction score
he had on a charcoal grey (pinstripe) 3 button, double vented suit. very british cut. i think flat front pants, no cuffs. he looked great, clothing wise. the shirt had a severe spread collar, much like the kind I wear myself, and he had a solid red tie on. no pocket square however. black shoes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he had on a charcoal grey (pinstripe) 3 button, double vented suit. very british cut. i think flat front pants, no cuffs. he looked great, clothing wise. the shirt had a severe spread collar, much like the kind I wear myself, and he had a solid red tie on. no pocket square however. black shoes.
Define severe...was it a shark fin collar?

Jon.

Phil

Reaction score
id say it was the hilditch and key width. i get my shirts from T & A, and when I order them I actually ask for the H&K collar. It was suggested to me by the T&A guy I deal with, which is pretty funny since H&K is their main competition. It wasnt as severe as some of the stuff you see from RL purple label.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
id say it was the hilditch and key width. i get my shirts from T & A, and when I order them I actually ask for the H&K collar. It was suggested to me by the T&A guy I deal with, which is pretty funny since H&K is their main competition. It wasnt as severe as some of the stuff you see from RL purple label.
The RLPL stuff is exactly what I was talking about, the so-called "˜Keaton Collar', which is in fact, a shark fin collar. I will agree that the H&K shirts have probably the best spread collar design, size, shape, etc... in RTW shirts in the world.

Jon.

Phil

Reaction score
i agree with you about the H& K collar, its perfect, in my estimation. It is very spread, and when you have a tie in there, it has this great slight curve to the collar that I have never seen before. While the shark fin collar is interesting, I dont like how it looks with a tie in there. A four in hand looks skimpy, and I dont like seeing the length of the tie on each side of the knot in that open space. Conversely, the big windsor knot seems to overwhelm the rather short collar points.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics