1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Very hot weather dress

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rugger, May 14, 2011.

1. erpet

erpet Senior member

I would prefer a toolbelt to a vest. That is business casual, right?

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

But continuing it here would also continue to derail the conversation. Nothing wrong with finishing it up in private

And to hop on the derailment: I think formal can refer to formal wear (as CM is doing) and in a looser sense, like an odd jacket is more informal than a blazer, though a blazer isn't strictly formal wear (as Matt is doing). And though I occasionally see three piece suits (as business attire), I've always associated the vest as more a part of formalwear. Sadly...I normally see vests worn by Koreans with no jacket...and often with a tshirt...

As far as heat, in the very humid summer when using public transportation, I carry both my tie and jacket in the crook of my arm and then put them on later. Or go without the jacket.... .... .... ....

and uchhhhhhh on the idea of no undershirt

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Yup, it doesn't look good. Should never be considered for a business environment.

4. Claghorn

[​IMG]

5. Caustic Man

6. Claghorn

Apologies to the continuing vest derail.

upr_crust probably wears three pieces better than anybody else on this forum. I tried imagining how this fit would look had he not been wearing the jacket. It didn't look good. At the very least, it looked very incomplete.

Aesthetically, it probably has something to do with the long line of contrast the shirt sleeves would make against the darker vest. And instead of tapering off (as the lapel-shirt line does into the buttoning point), it suddenly ends.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  7. Caustic Man

I would tend to agree with your assessment of crust's fit. Especially in a professional environment, the first thought out of the heads of many would probably be that he forgot his jacket somewhere. The amazing thing about crust is that he manages to wear 3 piece suits without looking stuffy. Something not everyone is capable of. Not least of which is myself.

As an aside, I can kind of forgive a 19 year old street wear type for doing the whole vest and no jacket thing, I can never imagine a professional doing it.

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

:sarcasm:

9. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Plus, most of my dress shirts are french cuff. FC without a jacket..bleh.

10. recondite

recondite Senior member

There are three problems:

1. heat control
    2. moisture control
    3. exposure to radiation or sunlight

When it's 112F [45C] or more, sometimes the best thing you can do, is to block the sun from reaching your skin.

Although counter intuitive to many, for solving all three problems, a tropical wool suit in dark to medium colors has few peers for all three especially if you are wearing a hat.

Dark colors block radiation, wool is superior for managing moisture to most other fabrics, and if woven from high twist yarns can allow some air movement to control heat.

This is why I prefer wool dress socks to ones from any other material. They just work better when exposed to high heat and moisture.

Anything with cotton in has serious limitations except for blocking radiation.

I like linen when it isn't too hot and there is some to great humidity. It doesn't always look great however.